From 64 mile range to 14 mile range after parked 1 hour! MASSIVE Capacity loss!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris101

So Our car started out fully charged on Sunday (charged it overnight Saturday). I ran a few short errands on Sunday (nothing big.. only about 14 miles in total).. then today (Monday) had more errands to run (another 16 miles with 4 stops and restarts involved in the process).

BUT after parking at Yoga for 1 hour (this is when I happened to glance down to see I was only down 2 bars, 33 miles driven, 7.4 miles per kWh average with 64 miles left range according to the blue bubble), when I came back out to leave and started the car, BOOM it only has 2 bars charge remaining, both are yellow (no longer all green except for the 1st 2 empty from use) and I suddenly have 12 mile range to get home. I nurse it (its only 3 miles to get home) and when I parked it said I have 12 miles left range. I turned it off and back on, even called On-star who ran diagnostics with nothing found wrong of course. After letting it sit on in the driveway for about 10 minutes, it suddenly showed I have 13 miles left in the blue bubble, but still 2 bars left with yellow.

Now the TorquePro app showed I have only 15% charge left in the batteries (which makes sense for only 13 miles range left).. It is 60 degrees out (so mild weather).

Did my batteries just take a crap and I'm about to get warranty replaced batteries or is something else going on?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Update is I charged it overnight--- seems totally fine now but we suspect the 12Volt battery is on the way out so we ordered a new one from RockAuto.

I'll be driving today so we'll see how it goes.

The 12Volt battery (original to our 2014 Spark EV) seemed to be the issue. It never went above 12.4 on holding a charge and this new replacement seems to be able to hold 13 to 13.2 in comparison after being charged up.

No more issues and everything has been fine. The car has been recharged 3x since this incident and all seems well.

...so guys and gals, if you have some crazy funky issue, Check the 12Volt battery 1st before you pay a diagnositic fee at a Chevy dealership just to be told you need a new 12Volt battery!

Back