Randy960

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 pm

I tried one of the Efacec chargers again today. I looked closer at my charger port, and it's definitely the correct shape. I added some dielectric grease, and pulled up to the charger at a 45 degree angle so that the connector had no twist. It definitely felt like it clicked in easier and more solidly, but still didn't work.

I stopped at that NY welcome center again to charge, and the chargers are all 50kw BTCPower units. So far, they all work fine.

MrDRMorgan

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 pm

Randy960 wrote:
I tried one of the Efacec chargers again today. I looked closer at my charger port, and it's definitely the correct shape. I added some dielectric grease, and pulled up to the charger at a 45 degree angle so that the connector had no twist. It definitely felt like it clicked in easier and more solidly, but still didn't work.

I stopped at that NY welcome center again to charge, and the chargers are all 50kw BTCPower units. So far, they all work fine.
1. Was the max power of the Efacec charger 150 kw or 350 kw?
2. How did you activate the charging session?
3. Did you support the handle so the weight of the cable did not "stress" the DCFC socket in the car?

I tried one EA 350 kw charger a couple of weeks ago at Walmart in Turlock, CA and I could not get it to work either. I was able to get the 150 kw EA ABB charger to work.

Randy960

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 pm
Randy960 wrote:

1. Was the max power of the Efacec charger 150 kw or 350 kw?
2. How did you activate the charging session?
3. Did you support the handle so the weight of the cable did not "stress" the DCFC socket in the car?

I tried one EA 350 kw charger a couple of weeks ago at Walmart in Turlock, CA and I could not get it to work either. I was able to get the 150 kw EA ABB charger to work.
This time I tried a 150kw unit, and I supported the handle, and used the app so I could keep it held in place.

Randy960

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:36 pm

The consistency with which it fails makes me think it's not an "almost working" type of problem. It starts to initialize, tries to latch, fails to latch, and shows an error on the screen seemingly the exact same way every time. Either the connector is just not capable of latching in correctly, or it's a software issue on the charger/car/both.

MrDRMorgan

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Today, I drove over to Patterson, CA to retest the two 150 KW ABB chargers that would not initiate a few months ago when I first tried them. I am pleased to report that both chargers initiated and charged on the first attempt. I supported the handle as previously mentioned and initiated the charging session using the EA APP on my phone.

I have now successfully charged on 150 KW EA ABB chargers located at Walmart in Turlock, CA, Walmart in Patterson, CA and at the San Francisco Premium Outlets in Livermore, CA. EA is currently installing chargers at Walmart in Tracy, CA and I will be testing the 150 KW chargers there just as soon as they are open to the public.

Yesterday I received a call from EA customer support to let me know, if I understood correctly, EA was rolling out the "FIX" for EA 150 kW chargers manufactured by ABB. Hopefully, soon Spark EVs will be able to successfully charge at all EA locations that are using EA's 150 KW chargers manufactured by ABB.

Randy960

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Hopefully that means they'll have a fix for the Efacec chargers as well.

MrDRMorgan

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 am

Randy960 wrote:
I would suggest you either call Electrify America or log onto Electrify America's website and enter a complaint about the problems you are having with the Efacec chargers. Be specific in describing exactly what happens when you try to charge. Offer to drive to the charger and demonstrate the problem. This is what I did. I offered to meet the EA rep at the problem chargers and demonstrate the problem. EA, in turn, invited a rep from ABB to attend too. I am thankful they took me seriously and fixed the problem. I hope other Spark EV drivers will now be able to charge at the EA ABB 150 kW chargers too.

Now, if EA would install 150 KW chargers along Hwy 99 here in Manteca, CA, I would be a real happy camper. My two nearest EA locations are 18 miles away in Tracy, CA and 25 miles away in Stockton, CA along I-5. Both are currently under construction. I am told ChargePoint will soon be installing DCFC chargers in a shopping center only 1 mile from my home.

Randy960

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:29 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 am
Randy960 wrote:
I would suggest you either call Electrify America or log onto Electrify America's website and enter a complaint about the problems you are having with the Efacec chargers. Be specific in describing exactly what happens when you try to charge. Offer to drive to the charger and demonstrate the problem. This is what I did. I offered to meet the EA rep at the problem chargers and demonstrate the problem. EA, in turn, invited a rep from ABB to attend too. I am thankful they took me seriously and fixed the problem. I hope other Spark EV drivers will now be able to charge at the EA ABB 150 kW chargers too.

Now, if EA would install 150 KW chargers along Hwy 99 here in Manteca, CA, I would be a real happy camper. My two nearest EA locations are 18 miles away in Tracy, CA and 25 miles away in Stockton, CA along I-5. Both are currently under construction. I am told ChargePoint will soon be installing DCFC chargers in a shopping center only 1 mile from my home.
The second time I tried it, I called and explained everything. But I intend to write it out thoroughly for them.

Randy960

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:08 am

Here was my email to Electrify America.
Chargers: 100269-01 through 04

I have been unable to successfully charge my 2016 Chevy Spark at any of the 4 chargers at that location. I did talk to someone at customer service (who was extremely helpful and friendly, by the way), but was still unable to get it to work. I have been following a discussion on a Spark EV forum about issues with using your chargers, and have tried all of their suggestions on parking angles and supporting the cable/connector in various ways. Early Sparks had issues with the design of the socket on the car, but mine was produced after they fixed that, and it appears to be the correct shape. I have no issues charging at any of the 50kw BTCPower chargers we have locally at a NY welcome center, or at the 25kw Bosch chargers located at some Chevy dealers, so the car is capable of using DCFC.
There are a few things that I have noticed while trying to use your chargers. While attempting to initialize, it does correctly set the parking brake. So at least part of the handshake process is working. However, the odd thing I have noticed is that while it is trying to initialize, the car connects to my phone's Bluetooth, despite the car being off. This is not the case at any other fast charger I have tried. This leads me to believe that it must be a software issue in the charger, the car, or both. Perhaps during initialization, the car is turning on, or partially on, or into a precondition mode. Something that would cause the stereo to think it should be turning on, and also rejecting a fast charge connection due to the not being "off".
If you wanted to arrange a meeting so a tech can see the error in person, I can do that. My cell number is **********, or email me at *******.

PS, one random suggestion. I know that your company is focusing on installing these super-fast chargers as a push for EV manufacturers to build faster charging cars, which I think is a fantastic idea. However, since you are aware of a significant amount of issues with these new 150 and 350kw units, why not install one 50kw charger at each location? They are cheaper and already proven, and they can be replaced with higher power units later. I believe most CHAdeMO cars only charge at 50kw anyway, so you could have one 50kw CHAdeMO/CCS charger for the Leaf owners and the people with picky CCS cars, and your new super-fast units as the rest of the chargers.
I will share whatever response I get.

MrDRMorgan

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:43 am

Randy960 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:08 am
Here was my email to Electrify America.
Chargers: 100269-01 through 04

I have been unable to successfully charge my 2016 Chevy Spark at any of the 4 chargers at that location. I did talk to someone at customer service (who was extremely helpful and friendly, by the way), but was still unable to get it to work. I have been following a discussion on a Spark EV forum about issues with using your chargers, and have tried all of their suggestions on parking angles and supporting the cable/connector in various ways. Early Sparks had issues with the design of the socket on the car, but mine was produced after they fixed that, and it appears to be the correct shape. I have no issues charging at any of the 50kw BTCPower chargers we have locally at a NY welcome center, or at the 25kw Bosch chargers located at some Chevy dealers, so the car is capable of using DCFC.
There are a few things that I have noticed while trying to use your chargers. While attempting to initialize, it does correctly set the parking brake. So at least part of the handshake process is working. However, the odd thing I have noticed is that while it is trying to initialize, the car connects to my phone's Bluetooth, despite the car being off. This is not the case at any other fast charger I have tried. This leads me to believe that it must be a software issue in the charger, the car, or both. Perhaps during initialization, the car is turning on, or partially on, or into a precondition mode. Something that would cause the stereo to think it should be turning on, and also rejecting a fast charge connection due to the not being "off".
If you wanted to arrange a meeting so a tech can see the error in person, I can do that. My cell number is **********, or email me at *******.

PS, one random suggestion. I know that your company is focusing on installing these super-fast chargers as a push for EV manufacturers to build faster charging cars, which I think is a fantastic idea. However, since you are aware of a significant amount of issues with these new 150 and 350kw units, why not install one 50kw charger at each location? They are cheaper and already proven, and they can be replaced with higher power units later. I believe most CHAdeMO cars only charge at 50kw anyway, so you could have one 50kw CHAdeMO/CCS charger for the Leaf owners and the people with picky CCS cars, and your new super-fast units as the rest of the chargers.
I will share whatever response I get.
Way to GO! EA's BTCPower chargers have been great for me. I just finished testing all of the EA ABB 150 kWh chargers within a 45 mile radius from my home and I found almost all were now working. There are two in Livermore that did not work. One EA knew about. The other one they will have to check. But... I now have 5 working EA ABB 150 kWh chargers at this location. It was ZERO! last year.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”