Randy960

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:27 am

I talked to Electrify America yesterday, and they will likely be arranging a time to do some testing with my car. They were also surprisingly receptive to my suggestion to install a 50kw charger at each location, adding that it would also be useful for people who don't want to charge at faster rates due to cost or battery wear. I'm interested to see where this goes. Since they seem to have at least partially fixed the ABB chargers, it has me hopeful.

MrDRMorgan

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 am

Randy960 wrote:
I talked to Electrify America yesterday, and they will likely be arranging a time to do some testing with my car. They were also surprisingly receptive to my suggestion to install a 50kw charger at each location, adding that it would also be useful for people who don't want to charge at faster rates due to cost or battery wear. I'm interested to see where this goes. Since they seem to have at least partially fixed the ABB chargers, it has me hopeful.
Great news! Work with them and help them figure out what is going on. I went out of my way to visit all EA chargers within about a 50 mile radius of my home. I reported my test results and waited for the "FIX" to be implemented. It took a bit of time for EA and ABB to figure out what was going on but now almost all of the EA ABB 150kWh chargers within that 50 mile radius work for charging my 2016 Spark EV. The few that did not work had not yet been updated at the time of my retest. As I continue to venture out further from my home, I plan to continue testing all of the EA 150 kWh EA chargers I come across and post my findings on PlugShare and EA's website.

Hopefully, EA will roll out the "FIX" to ALL of their ABB 150 kWh chargers.

Randy960

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 am

MrDRMorgan wrote:
Randy960 wrote:
Great news! Work with them and help them figure out what is going on. I went out of my way to visit all EA chargers within about a 50 mile radius of my home. I reported my test results and waited for the "FIX" to be implemented. It took a bit of time for EA and ABB to figure out what was going on but now almost all of the EA ABB 150kWh chargers within that 50 mile radius work for charging my 2016 Spark EV. The few that did not work had not yet been updated at the time of my retest. As I continue to venture out further from my home, I plan to continue testing all of the EA 150 kWh EA chargers I come across and post my findings on PlugShare and EA's website.

The only other EA charging station within my range appears to be (based on plugshare pics) also Efacec units. I would love to go test them, but if they don't work I'd be stuck waiting all day to charge at a level 2 charger.

ycdocs120

Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm

I have a new bank of chargers at our local Walmart close by. I've been trying them and can't get them to work with my Spark. They are the ABB type chargers.

MrDRMorgan

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:23 pm

ycdocs120 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:37 pm
I have a new bank of chargers at our local Walmart close by. I've been trying them and can't get them to work with my Spark. They are the ABB type chargers.
If you tried the 350kWh ABB chargers, they will not currently work for a Spark EV. Initially, all of the ABB 150 kWh chargers used by Electrify America in my area did not work for me either. However, they found the problem and have been rolling out the update. I have confirmed that all of the updated ABB 150 kWh EA chargers that initially did not work for me, now work just fine.

I suggest you contact Electrify America and inquire as to when their 150 kWh ABB chargers in your area will be updated. I highly recommend you install and use the electrify America APP on your cell phone to initiate charging.

Sparkey48

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 am
MrDRMorgan wrote:
Randy960 wrote:

The only other EA charging station within my range appears to be (based on plugshare pics) also Efacec units. I would love to go test them, but if they don't work I'd be stuck waiting all day to charge at a level 2 charger.
If your talking about the ones in fredonia Walmart they do that same thing with my spark. Couple places I use up your way is Joe basil in depew not a e/a but it works if you need it.

Randy960

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:06 am

Sparkey48 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 pm

If your talking about the ones in fredonia Walmart they do that same thing with my spark. Couple places I use up your way is Joe basil in depew not a e/a but it works if you need it.
Fredonia would be the location I was talking about. And Joe Basil is actually the Chevy dealer I mentioned using previously. I've charged there a few times. There's a few other Chevy dealers in the area that I haven't had a chance to try yet.

Randy960

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm

EA still hasn't gotten ahold of me to do any testing. I tried to charge again today, but still no luck. I hope the fact that I'm slowly tanking their Plugshare rating gets their attention.

MrDRMorgan

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:11 pm
EA still hasn't gotten ahold of me to do any testing. I tried to charge again today, but still no luck. I hope the fact that I'm slowly tanking their Plugshare rating gets their attention.
Note: BLAIR - You said you follow this website as part of your responsibility in Customer Service for Electrify America. Please help this Spark EV driver like you helped me. Thanks. Dennis Morgan - aka EVRider.

DarthMuffin

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Has anyone tried one of these at an EA station? I have printed one and can confirm it fits the spark, but have no EA station nearby.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3862271

Return to “Batteries and Charging”