TheLondonBroiler

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:01 pm
So the EA station near me is replacing the Efacec chargers with ABB chargers.
Good eye Randy! That's pretty strange. There's a lot of stuff going on at existing Efacec sites in the Southeast here with EA too.... I'll keep my eyes peeled.
2015 Spark EV w/ DCFC 48,XXX miles
Purchased 1/20/18 w/ 16,5XX miles
0-40k mile efficiency avg - 5.3 mi/kwh

2019 Bolt EV w/ DCFC 63,XXX miles
Purchased 3/16/19 w/ 87 miles
Lifetime efficiency avg - 4.7 mi/kwh

TheLondonBroiler

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:01 pm
So the EA station near me is replacing the Efacec chargers with ABB chargers.
Just found this:

https://electricrevs.com/2019/06/28/som ... tem-issue/

Pure speculation, but maybe it was a major engineering problem that couldn't be resolved or now that a number of etrons and taycans (ccs vehicles that charge at significantly more than 50kw) are on the road, maybe "people that matter" are being inconvenienced by slow charge speeds and EA isn't willing to wait anymore on Efacec to fix the issue?

Edited for swipe keyboard incorrect word choice.

TheLondonBroiler

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:42 pm

The Efacec stations are all "unofficially" being replaced.
https://youtu.be/NBRi-Ps-B9s

SparkE

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:58 pm

Why do people have to video themselves into their youtube posts, and try to pretend it is an informational post?

TheLondonBroiler

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:31 pm

SparkE wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:58 pm
Why do people have to video themselves into their youtube posts, and try to pretend it is an informational post?
I challenge your assertion that this wasn't informational. I alluded to it being a big problem a week ago and why, then I confirmed it and made a video, because no EV news or even general news entity has covered this sizeable transition (it is shockingly absent from EA's News and Updates feed on their website) to different chargers, and NO INDIVIDUAL I HAVE FOUND put the WHOLE puzzle together and realized/announced the magnitude of the situation or why it was occurring (I thanked all the sources I could find that mentioned stations being replaced, including Randy960 on this forum, that mentioned two stations being replaced), which is sites down for extended periods of time and hundreds of stations being replaced, with an untold minimum eight figure repercussion, from an entity that is building a network they were forced or forced themselves to build and wouldn't fix their chargers to let our cars charge until I called a higher up in EA, told him what was what, and that I expected the problem to bre resolved.

On top of all of this, the Efacec stations being replaced in the southeast, are seemingly getting Signet equipment, which is a company that has littered over seventy confirmed 50kw chargers across the country, that were garbage, and none of which function at more than half capability, with the vast majority of stations being completely non functional due the trifecta of crap equipment, and both private and government entities that don't care and that aren't living up to contractual and moral obligations to provide the charging solution they agreed to, because no-one holds them accountable.

Bottom line, I'm trying to spread WHAT I FEEL is relevant information about the Spark EV and all things EV. If you don't like it, don't watch/look at it (there are many threads and replies I don't look at because I have no desire to), or if your voluntary position as a moderator requires you to do so and you can't help yourself to make derogatory remarks, maybe you don't need to be a moderator.

SparkE

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:37 pm

1) you never claimed the video was of you, so I am sorry for criticizing a board member.

2) I have a hot button topic of "reports" that show the "reporter" (whether it be on TV or the internet) when it adds nothing to the report. "NewsColumb" is a perfect example. So, I change my comment to "Why do people have to video themselves into their youtube posts, and not just leave it as an informational post".

Yes, the video was informational. The pan across somebody's face wasn't. My personal opinion.

TheLondonBroiler

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm

That footage was only used because it had Efacec stations in it. If I had other footage without me in it, it would have been used (like the first two clips).

While I agree looking at someone talking has zero added benefit, it does sometimes help me concentrate on the subject at hand (a benefit my video would not have conveyed).

I appreciate you addressing this quickly and I do appreciate the work that you and other moderators do.

Randy960

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:31 am

If you look around on Plugshare and EA's app, they are currently replacing Efacec chargers all over. I assume they're staggering them somewhat, but the three stations east of me along I-90 are getting replaced (Cheektowaga, Waterloo outlets, and a Dennys near Utica). The closest one west of me is Fredonia, which has Efacec units that are still there, although they go down regularly. Pretty much the same story in Erie, PA.

free image hosting

All of those grey wrenches and a few of the orange ones are EA stations being "upgraded".

TheLondonBroiler

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 am

While there are a lot of aggravating factors here, to me, chief amongst those is that EA has decided to "legitimately upgrade" the actual 50kw BTC Power station sites they installed in many places (some of those grey wrenches are comprised of those). Whether they just decided it was better to put many sites down and get it all done at once or something more nefarious (perhaps EA sorta concealing that they installed tens of millions of dollars of equipment that didn't work properly because it either wasn't thoroughly tested or they just didn't care? I wouldn't expect anything shady from an entity born out of criminal activity).

Regardless, the whole VW emissions/EA creation is a done deal as far as that government is concerned, outside of flagrant criminal activity, so we just have to deal with whatever we get, because I guarantee they keep getting the funding money from the EPA (who holds the purse strings of the VW settlement).

Return to “Batteries and Charging”