ElDobro

Re: Electrify America Charging Station Problems

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:55 pm
ElDobro wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:28 pm
The EA chargers at the Walmart haven't even been up a year and they're being replaced.
What location?
Here you go.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/193079

NORTON

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:58 am

SparkE wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 am
Oh, and there is (are) a device(s) that will 'morph' a Tesla L2 ("destination charger") into a J-1772 plug, useful at hotels. They are sort of expensive, but if you use it ONCE to avoid a tow on your trip, you have come out ahead.
I saw an article posted on the Bolt forum that Tesla is going to start using the car's ID Data to only allow Teslas to use their Destination Chargers.
I have to wait to see how that plays out.

Plus I would only use one if there was a place close by that offered that kind of charging for free.
I saw one at a Winery once when I took a daringly long trip in the Spark EV. They also had a network L2. I think I had to pay at it.

Thanks again for all the advice above!

Only,, when you are way out there on the EV Highway, sometimes there aren't many Plan B or C for some of those locations, you think?

I have my 25 ft. 12 ga. extension cord and my stock EVSE. I was considering making an adapter cord for plugging into a 240 V, NEMA 14-50 outlet, like at a KOA, but I decided to go without that. I only have the EVSE's rated to 3.3kW anyway.

I get on the plane tomorrow morning and I'm giving us 4 days of Road Trip Vaca with nice overnights planned!
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +85k miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

Randy960

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:06 am

Plugshare showed that EA had my closest station up and running with new ABB units, so I decided to give it a try. I went for the worst-case scenario first, and plugged in to a 350kw unit and activated without supporting the handle. Activated first try and it's currently charging!

Last edited by Randy960 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

NORTON

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:47 am

Holi Moli !!!

Look at the size of the cable !
Is it heavy?
I'd be worried it could crack the plastic charge port housing.....

"Made in Mexico"

I'm glad there is a country around these parts with the skill set to manufacture modern Hi Tech equipment! :roll:

Thanks for the detailed pics!
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

Randy960

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:10 pm

That cable is a fair amount thinner/more flexible than what was on the outgoing Efacec units. I would say they're only a little heavier than the cables on 50kw BTCPower units I've used.

ElDobro

Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:06 am
Plugshare showed that EA had my closest station up and running with new ABB units, so I decided to give it a try. I went for the worst-case scenario first, and plugged in to a 350kw unit and activated without supporting the handle. Activated first try and it's currently charging!

EV-1, how fitting. :D

Randy960

Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:48 am

I wonder if flex was ever the actual problem, or if it was mostly just software issues. It definitely wasn't the problem with the Efacec chargers, and those connectors are much heftier than the ABB units. Unless maybe older ABB units had connectors with more slop.

NORTON

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Randy960 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:48 am
I wonder if flex was ever the actual problem, or if it was mostly just software issues. ...
I wonder too....

I just go back from an EV Road Trip in my new Bolt.
I used A Better Route Planner. What a fantastic free, no adverts app!
LA to KC.
15 DCFC stops.
Started Saturday, Sep 5th.
114° in LA and Vegas _ 22° with snow and slush on the roads in the high Rockies - strong headwind and rain Denver to KC.

Of those 15 stops --- it worked as intended ONE TIME at an EA DCFC unit.
Usually it takes many attempts with the app to start the session.
About 5 of the stops tech support had me move to other units, one time 2 or 3 times.

Electrify America needs improvements.

We did a side trip to Arches National Park.
Got a free ChargePoint DCFC in Moab, Ut.
30 to 40 seconds tops from tapping my phone to the green light on the dash!!!!

Come on EA. You can do better.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”