Charging while driving

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEANS

I’m certain someone has covered this topic before, but things change, and people hack the systems.

I’m curious if anyone knows if it’s possible to charge the Spark EV or Bolt EV while on the move. I have both vehicles, and I love them both, the Spark is the one that I’d like to implement this on the most.

In Arizona, we run the Air Conditioner all the time 7-8 months of the year, and with my commute to work and back it’s about 70 miles. That’s if I don’t go to lunch or run an errand. My Spark typically gets about 68 miles range. Most of that is highway at 62 mph with the AC on, or off using the battery coolant to cool the cabin in the morning.

I typically have to find a L2 charger or DCFC before I return home which is pretty annoying. I prefer driving the Spark over the Bolt, although it’s range sucks.

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

Not sure what your question is....

You want to add power to the battery pack while using power from the battery pack while driving?

Where would this power come from?

Early on some dude here was posting pictures of a small gas generator in the hatch area of the Spark EV.
Even if you don't mind the smell and noise and safety issues and could some how vent the exhaust outside......,
if the charge cord is connected you can't get it out of Park.

Face it.
You own BEV's. They need to be plugged and charged from a grid that is getting cleaner daily!
And the CCS charging network is getting better all the time also!

A Volt can 'charge' the pack to ~50% in Mountain Mode and you have no 'range anxiety' with a dual fuel car.
A Volt was my stepping stone to a BEV and I'm fine with the Spark EV range. (1I would consider a Bolt if it had more high tech AP like features.)

Completely agree with Norton. You cannot charge the vehicle with the charge port while you're driving.

The only other options are :

1. Increasing battery capacity (good luck with this one)

2. Adjusting your driving habits to increase your mileage on the battery you do have. Do you HAVE to take the highway? Side roads with the speed at 45mph or lower should increase your range significantly.

If you're unwilling to make any of the adjustments above then you have to charge during the day. Can you work provide even an exterior 120V power source? Even trickle charging at 12amps should give you 25 +/- miles over an 8 hour workday.

Back