Chevy spark charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiraadi

I just got a Chevy spark ev l2 with about 22,000 miles about a week ago and when I got it they were able to charge it to 71 miles but now being at home using the 120v charger on 12 amps I can never get it to charge past 64 miles? It just stops and says full charge and the battery drains really fast when it sits there. Is there anyway I can get it to charge all the way?

Is the battery gauge saying it's full or only charging partially? You may check the charge settings to see if it is set for peak rates or departure time.
The total mile range fluctuates depending on how you drive the car too. My range was down when I first bought my car as I was having fun with it but after a month or so I just started driving it like I drove my old car and the range went back up. Temperature will effect your range as well.

If you really want to see the GOM drop, turn on the heater in cold weather and set the cabin temperature about 10 to 20 deg. F higher than the outside ambient temperature. I find my GOM drops about 25 miles in the winter if I want to stay comfortable using the heater. Headlights can have an impact too but not nearly as much. I really have not yet tried the heated seats but it will be cold driving home late tonight so I will see how well the heated seats work.

Depending on weather, how you drive it (speed, uphill then downhill or downhill then uphill), and what tires are on it, 64 miles might not be unreasonable. During the winter I was getting about 66 miles on a full charge.

What might concern me is your statement that the battery drains really fast when it sits there. Generally the car should hold a charge for a long time when it is just sitting there, plugged in or not. Is the car in extreme weather conditions so that it has to heat or cool the battery? Did you accidentally leave it turned on? I think that the car will turn off automatically after a period of time, but I haven't tested that. I don't think the car uses much energy when turned on and not moving, but it might affect the range reading.

Back