Losing range after DC fast charging.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejcabotaje9

So I've noticed whenever I use DC fast charging my miles go down fast quickly compared to when I charge from a level 1 or 2. For example I use fast charge and get 75 miles. Not even driving 2 miles I've already lost about 10 miles. After about 20 miles of drainage it stabilizes. I don't have any codes popping up or anything. It only does it after fast charging. PS I didn't use ac and not driving fast or going uphill. After about 2 miles of going 18 mph around the neighbor it drains quickly up to a certain point (about 20 miles being lost) and haven't even driven more than 10 miles. Anybody else have issues after fast charging?

It may be because the cooling system is working to get the battery pack temperature and charging components back down to an optimal level.

Kermit said:
It may be because the cooling system is working to get the battery pack temperature and charging components back down to an optimal level.

Bingo! I had a little 1500+ mile weeklong adventure last month involving 30 some fast charges (12 in one day), and the scenario described is exactly what I encountered, especially when thermal management has to operate, which is anytime you dcfc and the battery temp gets over ~85°F (if you start a fast charge session with full charge speed, 130+ amps, meaning the battery is already 75°F, you very well may get warm enough to trigger/start the cooling system).

If the battery thermal management stops operating and you continue to drive, the GOM should reflect a more accurate range.

Is it a normal thing after fast charging? Mine is always doing it after fast charging. Anyone else having this experience every fast charge? Is it a defect of some sort? Also the battery conditioning says 0% does that mean thermal management is not draining the battery? Thanks everyone!

ejcabotaje9 said:
Is it a normal thing after fast charging?
I think if you read the prior posts, you will come to the conclusion that this is normal. The only mystery is why GM/LG designed it to not classify the battery conditioning as such, after disconnecting from the DCFC.

Back