Breaks and Gas pedal reversing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim and Cynthia,
only today I saw your response, since I very seldom come to this site. Sorry about that...
I still have the car, since it is a lease, but do not feel comfortable at all driving it and my wife won't drive it. Fortunately these days I have an exceptionally short commute (less than 2 miles) which reduces the risk of accidents, and when parking take precautions to avoid turning left (that seems to be what triggered the unintended acceleration). When I turn at parking lots, I make sure that if it happens again, only the car will get damaged.
This is a very odd thing for me, not feeling safe when behind the wheel on a particular car: I've been driving since 1974, and in the process had all kinds of car problems, as simple as running out of gas (fuel gauge was wrong), to no brakes, broken clutch in stop-and-go traffic, power steering shut down, broken accelerator cable, blow outs, transmission failures, you name it. Never before was scared of a car: this Spark EV did it. Weeks after the incident I'd jump up in the middle of the night dreaming of the brake failure (PTSD???).
In January I'll return the car, so hopefully the remaining 500 - 600 miles I'll be driving it will be incident-free.
Thanks for your clarification on the Spark model you're driving. I also saw multiple complaints about the EV at the NHTSA site and CarComplaints.com. Some other discussion groups had same description of events with the Volt.
As for me, EVs are out of my likely acquisitions in the future, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. ICEs are still cheaper to buy, and have a more predictable behavior when things fail.

notimpressed said:
Hello CamaroZ28guy! I was sent a notification of your comment and was glad to hear from you even after this long time. When I posted about the Spark, I am a woman and did not know what "EV" even stood for. :D I was also accused of being something called a "troll." Now, I know what that is too. :eek:

Anyway, the Spark I purchased, cash, was a regular gas model. It scared me so badly when this happened to us! We weren't going fast, just pulling into a parking space, so I guess the curb stopped us. When it happened to me the second time, I nearly hit the big truck in front of me. I stepped on the break so hard that I broke three toes! The orthopedic surgeon I went to said that normally toes are broken in the two upper joints, but mine broke at the base of my foot. He said that it was obvious I meant to stop that car! I actually held my presence of mind to shove it into park, praying that this would also stop it!

Chevy had it all summer and came up with nothing. What?? Twice the brake accelerated and once the accelerator stopped the car! Something is wrong!!

We eventually sold the car to Carmax. We lost money on the deal, believe me.... I told Chevy I would keep the vin number and all the paperwork in case there was a lawsuit and I'll be right there to give my testimony. I sorta felt bad for the next owner that I had put them in danger.

I am so sorry that you are having problems too. When that happened there were so many vehicles that were being recalled for different problems, we didn't know what to buy. Well, we have now been the proud owner of a Lexus 350 and couldn't be happier! What a great car! We splurged, but it was well worth it and........ now, I'll always own a Lexus! ;) Owned Chevys before, but will never own another.

Let us know how you make out.

Jim and Cynthia
Somewhere on this forum is a video showing a white gas-Spark failing to stop as it flew through the intersection and crashed. Sounds like the same problem.

Hi CamaroZ28 guy,

I just saw your post. I know how scary that feeling is!! I don't blame your wife! That is awful that you have to wait that long to ditch this piece of junk! Somewhere down the road I hope GM gets nailed for these cars. I just hope no one gets killed in one. My three toes that got broken have never been the same! Now they have arthritis in the base joints because of the injury.

Take care.

Jim and Cynthia

wow.. 3 pages and its not even an EV Spark..

okay then.... moving on..

Anyone remember the Audi sudden Acceleration claims? ..that turned out to be because of the pedal placement and large shoes (and larger feet apparently) americans because once Audi moved the pedals farther apart, the problem never happened again -- go figure..

It goes to reason that the pedals are probably closer on a Spark gas vehicle and wearing bigger wider shoes (or having bigger feet) might indeed cause strange issues. Spark is a small car after all.

break vs. brake is just painful though--- thought for sure it was a troll or millennial at 1st

Back