How well do car seats fit in the 2014 Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switters

We're considering a Spark, but I'm wondering how well a car seat will fit in the back. Our daughter is still in a rear-facing seat, but she'll be moving to forward-facing anytime. This article suggests that the Spark isn't "car-seat friendly" for a few reasons: cramped space, latch system that's difficult to access, and awkward position of the latch anchor in the trunk.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/10/2013-chevrolet-spark-car-seat-check.html

Anyone hear have a car seat in the back of your Spark EV? I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks.

switters said:
We're considering a Spark, but I'm wondering how well a car seat will fit in the back. Our daughter is still in a rear-facing seat, but she'll be moving to forward-facing anytime. This article suggests that the Spark isn't "car-seat friendly" for a few reasons: cramped space, latch system that's difficult to access, and awkward position of the latch anchor in the trunk.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/10/2013-chevrolet-spark-car-seat-check.html

Anyone hear have a car seat in the back of your Spark EV? I'd love to hear your experience. Thanks.
My kids are long away from car seats so I'm of no help to you. But I would think you could take your child's car seat to your local Chevrolet dealership and try it out on one of the Spark EV's since this is one of your main concerns?

Good luck! :D

My kids are out of sync with yours, but I can share what I have done.

My 4-year-old's backless booster seat works great. The high-backed booster we used during the test drive was fine, but we had to remove the headrests to get it to sit flat. Once we leased the car, I just removed the headrests entirely. I've also used my infant's seat in taxi-mode in the Spark without trouble. On one occasion I used the LATCH system, and it worked all right. I don't think you'll have too much trouble with car seats in the spark, but I would recommend taking your seat with you for the test drive.

fengshui said:

My 4-year-old's backless booster seat works great. The high-backed booster we used during the test drive was fine, but we had to remove the headrests to get it to sit flat. Once we leased the car, I just removed the headrests entirely. I've also used my infant's seat in taxi-mode in the Spark without trouble. On one occasion I used the LATCH system, and it worked all right. I don't think you'll have too much trouble with car seats in the spark, but I would recommend taking your seat with you for the test drive.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll definitely bring the seat with me.

switters said:
fengshui said:

One of the things I would recommend is to put the child seat on the passenger side, as depending on how tall you are, it can force the front seats too far forward. When my wife first test drove the Spark she had put it behind the drivers seat, and as a result was so crammed (she's 5'8") that she almost vetoed the car. We now put it behind the passenger seat and she has no problem fitting on the passenger side with the seat behind her, and of course there are no position constraints for the driver anymore, so everyones happy!

Theo said:
switters said:
fengshui said:

One of the things I would recommend is to put the child seat on the passenger side, as depending on how tall you are, it can force the front seats too far forward. When my wife first test drove the Spark she had put it behind the drivers seat, and as a result was so crammed (she's 5'8") that she almost vetoed the car. We now put it behind the passenger seat and she has no problem fitting on the passenger side with the seat behind her, and of course there are no position constraints for the driver anymore, so everyones happy!

Was that for a rear-facing seat? Sounds like you're saying if there's a car seat behind the passenger seat, there won't be much room in the front. I'm 6'3, so I guess I'd have to be the driver if my wife and I were both in the car with our daughter.

switters said:
Theo said:

Was that for a rear-facing seat? Sounds like you're saying if there's a car seat behind the passenger seat, there won't be much room in the front. I'm 6'3, so I guess I'd have to be the driver if my wife and I were both in the car with our daughter.

Correct, this is with a rear-facing seat on it's "base". I think we have this one. I haven't tried sitting in the passenger seat with the car seat in the back yet (I'm 6'), but will report back when I do. As with anything, your best bet is to try it out in person, as different car seats and different body proportions can make or break this fit issue.

I usually do most of the driving anyways so it's not a problem :D

A booster seat for my very tall 6 year old works well in my Spark and leaves lots of room for both her and my 5'4" wife. The Fiat 500e couldn't do this and took it out of the running for our family's purchase consideration.

I also rely on the option of Graco SnugRide 30 rear-facing infant-safety seat for my baby while moving in the car. We do enjoy a couple of benefits like we can adjust the front seats easily to any comfortable position for the six foot driver and the lesser higher passengers. With this convertible seat for our baby, we see the seat comfortably installed so that the baby gets the right comfort and she enjoys a perfect ride over the car. At least we find this option as one of the best solution for carrying babies from one place to the other.

You can also visit the official sites of the car seats mentioned here for more details.

Britax B-SAFE
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/b-safe
Britax CHAPERONE
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/chaperone
Britax BOB B-SAFE
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/bob-b-safe
Chicco NextFit
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-seats/nextfit-pulse.aspx
Chicco KeyFit 30
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-seats/keyfit-30-equinox.aspx
Chicco KeyFit 22
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-seats/keyfit-22-chevron.aspx

I have had my 2016 Spark EV for about a month. My 3 month old baby fits in a rear facing infant seat (Chicco Keyfit 30) behind the passenger seat which fits my 5'4" wife (probably wouldn't want a passenger taller than 5'7") The car seat fits easily behind the passenger and the Bravo collapsible stroller fits nicely behind the driver seat (I'm 6'0"). We managed to fit the three of us, with stroller and carseat, diaper bag in the trunk and our 55lbs Pitbull puppy for a trip to the dogpark. Everyone was comfy and happy as we zipped to our destination.

Also, we bought the 2016 Spark EV for under $10k and there are lots available right now. Perfect for city dwellers with commutes under 10miles each way.

Back