Who has solar panels on their roof?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureFolly

Photovoltaic solar panels and BEVs go together like chocolate and peanut butter. There are multiple reasons why they compliment each other so well. Of course, if you're a renter it's not as simple. So how do people here feel about solar power?

FutureFolly said:
Photovoltaic solar panels and BEVs go together like chocolate and peanut butter. There are multiple reasons why they compliment each other so well. Of course, if you're a renter it's not as simple. So how do people here feel about solar power?
I wish I could get solar. My wife and I looked into it a couple years ago, but even with the tax credit we couldn't afford it. Maybe in a few more years when we got some equity back in the house and home battery storage is more developed we will try again.

I'm the same as jay5729. I'd love to have solar, but we really don't use that much electricity. The payment required to buy or lease solar panels would be so much more than we are paying for electricity that the savings in the cost of the electricity wouldn't come near to offsetting the cost of the panels, even with the tax credit. Except for hot summer months, our electrical bill runs between $70 & $80, and we plug in the Spark every night. I'm hoping that as technology advances the cost of solar will come down though it doesn't seem to have done much budging in that direction yet.

I got a 5.4kw system installed at the same time I got my Spark EV 5 months ago. Just love it. I'm very pleased that I configured the system size just about right. Not too much, not too little. Feels so good to be zero emissions.

I do have a 2011 Prius, though, for the longer drives. I call that my gas guzzler now. :)

Sesamecrunch said:
I got a 5.4kw system installed at the same time I got my Spark EV 5 months ago. Just love it. I'm very pleased that I configured the system size just about right. Not too much, not too little. Feels so good to be zero emissions.

I do have a 2011 Prius, though, for the longer drives. I call that my gas guzzler now. :)

No solar in our near future but it's good to see somebody else call their Prius the gas guzzler. :p

@FutureFolly

I agree with you that solar and BEV's go very well together.

We installed an 8 kW system a couple of years ago and are loving it. The system was sized to produce 110% our average monthly usage, so we had a little bit extra capacity. Our electricity usage has decreased due to one child that is off to college and out of the house. I figured that my break-even point would be around the year 2020, but it could be sooner if electricity prices increase.

I drive approximately 53 miles per day (M-F), averaging 4.7 kW per mile. I charge up the Spark every night.

Last month's electric bill was $4.15 and I'm expecting even better results as the days get longer.

We're very happy with both the solar on the roof and the Spark EV!

I have a leased 3.9kW, 16 panel with micro inverters, system that was installed in 3/2012.
It cost me about $3500 deposit and $91 a month. It was designed to cover 75% of our annual usage before the Spark came along. Wish I could add more but we're kind of short of roof space. An average day's output is about what it takes to charge the Spark from zero.

I enjoy monitoring the output all the time. Trés geek.:

https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/pv/public_systems/GQBN60469/grid/days

My local mall has three charging spots and lots of solar panels on their roofs. What I don't spend on charging, I spend on Peet's coffee. ;)

I've learned how to do solar installs, and I actually think the price per watt for installation is too high. I originally thought the cost of the panels was what needed to change substantially. I haven't come up with a ton of ideas, but it's ripe for improvement.

Commercial building are often the easiest to do. A flat roof with a heavy live load capacity is a good formula.

emv said:
No solar in our near future but it's good to see somebody else call their Prius the gas guzzler. :p
No PV for me but my home electricity use is quite low. And, I hardly charge at home anyway, only on weekends, if it all. Almost every single month, I'm still within PG&E's tier 1. The solar sales reps I've talked to at Costco even admit that it's not really "worth it" unless you're hitting tier 3 or above.

FWIW, at a SF BayLEAFs meeting I went to in December 2011, when asked how many in the room had PV, I recall at least 1/4 of the hands in the room went up. Might've even been 1/3...

Shoot... I need to still get a license plate frame for my Prius that says "Prius is my gas guzzler". Except, it hardly gets driven now that I have my Leaf.

Last summer installed a 1.72 Kw system ( 8 Panels). I will be adding more this summer. I completed the whole system myself, it saves a lot on the cost of a system. I am making it a 3 year project. I will add 8 more panels this year and 8 more next year by that point I should have a net gain on my electricity use.

I have 35 SunPower 228 watt panels since July 2011, two months after delivery of my first Nissan LEAF.

Enphase Solar link

http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/public/systems/Ukwf22392

I installed a 5 kw system about three years ago when I bought a Leaf. I couldn't be happier. The system net cost was about $7,000 (after govt subsidies) and it completely covers my electricity for normal home use plus all of the driving I do. With my savings on PG&E and saving on gasoline, I estimated that pay back for the system was about 3.3 years. So, I am almost there! I now have a Spark EV which I drive mostly and my wife is driving the Leaf (we retired a Camry hybrid when I got the Spark). So now completely gasoline free, but consuming more electricity than I use. I figure during the summer months I'll be slightly positive but will run a deficit over the course of a year. I may add a couple more panels in the fall. The inverter (Fronius) has room for a couple more. Prices of panels have fallen quite a bit in the last few years, so if you have an electric car, the savings are tremendous. Just do it!!
-Corwin

FutureFolly said:

Fine if you are home all day . Most of use work days and the vehicle is in the company lot while the sun shines.0

jsca72 said:
I'm the same as jay5729. . Except for hot summer months, our electrical bill runs between $70 & $80, and we plug in the Spark every night. I'm hoping that as technology advances the cost of solar will come down though it doesn't seem to have done much budging in that direction yet.

Must be nice . My power bill for the Month of December was $935 on a hobby farm.
c

We put solar on our home as part of our retierment package about 8 years ago. Then I waited for an EV car that would be able to go both ways to work. In Jan we got a spark EV and I lover it. We have 48 pannels on our roof.
  • Due to the great weather this year we have a credit of $1,000 as well as charging the car. :D

Such a Bummer that my Land Lord is moving out of our Duplex.. I told him I wanted an Electric car and he was all like ... I would LOVE to put solar on the house !

I have solar since June of 2012.

27 240watt SunPower 6.4kW system, I lease it for a good price since I work in the industry.

Just got my spark two days ago. I am very happy with my Solar system having E-6 rates how can you go wrong :!:

VonSpark said:

27 240watt SunPower 6.4kW system, I lease it for a good price since I work in the industry.

Just got my spark two days ago. I am very happy with my Solar system having E-6 rates how can you go wrong :!:

Hey Von:

I'm your customer in Half Moon Bay. So glad you got the Spark! Great car, isn't it? It's been 6 months now and I have over 10K miles on it. Going to run way over the lease mileage, but that's a good problem. My PV system is sized just about perfectly for our usage. Very happy!

Alan

Sesamecrunch said:
VonSpark said:

Hey Von:

I'm your customer in Half Moon Bay. So glad you got the Spark! Great car, isn't it? It's been 6 months now and I have over 10K miles on it. Going to run way over the lease mileage, but that's a good problem. My PV system is sized just about perfectly for our usage. Very happy!

Alan

Alan,

I was about to call you before my Lease of the Spark. Pull the trigger on the lease and the rest was history.

Here is my home. I moved all the panels from the east facing to the south.

I am glad you are happy. Did you buy or lease your EV Spark? 10K in 6months :eek:

BTW, are you coming to the EV car even in San Jose May 31?

fmidk6.jpg

Back