Wiper motor won't shut off

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetOne

It's been raining lightly for few weeks , and on my daily commute the intermittent wipers would occasionally flip to standard continuous wiping without input from the control stalk. Turning the stalk to the off position didn't always stop the wipers. Occasionally the wipers would stay on even when the car was turned off. They would always stop running when the car was turned back on.
Today the wipers will not turn off at all. I've turned the car off and opened the door, which should shut down all systems. I've even performed the forum's go-to move, pulling the 12 volt ground off the battery for 10 minutes. The wipers came back on when the ground went back on.
I've contacted the local Chevy Volt dealer (My Spark dealer is over 100 miles away) and they are willing to look at it tomorrow. I've pulled the fuse for the wipers for the night so they don't burn out the motor or run down the 12 volt battery.
I'll let you know how it goes when I get it back later next week.
Any experience out there with motor control glitches on wipers or other systems?

I noticed that to turn the wipers on/off I had to pull the wiper lever towards me. Before that, I would turn them on by twisting the lever, but never know how to turn them back off. This doesn't really sound like your problem, but I know I had difficulties of this sort for a short time too.

UPDATE- I pulled the wiper fuse last night when I plugged in. In the morning, my car was fully charged and when I re-installed the wiper fuse, the wipers remained off. My commute was normal, and the wipers behaved themselves in the light drizzle.
I let the local Chevy service manager know that the problem had taken care of itself, and he noted that they would have probably tried to reboot the wipers in the same manner.
It doesn't sound like this is a common issue with an alert out to the dealers. If it occurs again, I'll drive over to the dealer and see what codes they can pull from the computer.

Back