Physical key blank found

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdk408

i keep my second remote in the trunk! It's always where you need it. Open your car with your phone app to get the spare key.

Just in case my phone can't get a signal, or was stolen with the keys, I had a new spare key made. It's just the physical key, but it's cheap, and it can open the doors. Locksmiths and dealers say it can't be done, but here is how:

Get a Hillman key blank #53 from Home Depot. Don't simply ask them to duplicate your key. They will say it can't be done. Home Depot's automated machine won't cut it, just buy the blank key and take it to an actual locksmith who can easy cut it manually.

Once cut, this key opens the door perfectly, just like the physical switchblade key. You can zip tie it to the underside of the car where you can get it in an emergency. Naturally you can't start the car with it, but you can open the car to retrieve your spare remote.

My spare remote is in the trunk in a metal Altoids can to attenuate the radio signal, so the car doesn't keep complaining that you left your remote in the car.

Thanks for the excellent tips.

I go boogie boarding, on occasion, and leaving the key on top of the tire is just too big a risk.

You can get those magnet boxes and put your key in and and then stick it under the car somewhere. I think they make it where it is in a metal box. Or you can get an Altoids box like Tdk said but put a magnet on it
:)

NomadMac said:
Thanks for the excellent tips.

I go boogie boarding, on occasion, and leaving the key on top of the tire is just too big a risk.

Tdk408 said:

My spare remote is in the trunk in a metal Altoids can to attenuate the radio signal, so the car doesn't keep complaining that you left your remote in the car.

Long term it would be better to pop the battery out. Slip it into a small zip-lock bag and just toss it in the tin. (Altoids come in tins...) It only takes a few seconds to re-install, and it won't have drained when you finally need it...

Tdk408 said:
Get a Hillman key blank #53 from Home Depot. Don't simply ask them to duplicate your key. They will say it can't be done. Home Depot's automated machine won't cut it, just buy the blank key and take it to an actual locksmith who can easy cut it manually.

Dude, thank you. Only discrepancy, the guy at home depot was able to cut it. It wouldn't work in the space age computer cutter, but in the machine that sticks the new key and old key side by side and duplicates automatically, that worked beautifully.

c1zd6OE.png

Sparkler said:
Long term it would be better to pop the battery out

Good advice. Might even consider puttinh a desiccant pack or some or rice to absorb moisture.

Back