GM cuts price of Spark EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveC5088

GM cuts price of Spark EV

"In California, Oregon and Maryland, a buyer could get a Spark EV for $14,995 — including a $7,500 tax credit, state credits and the $1,000 discount."

Now, here in the San Joaquin Valley, the SJVAPCD is also offers an additional 3k rebate for the Spark EV. So... $12K to buy the Spark EV. About the same price as the 1.2L 4-banger gas version.

Shoot! If I had only waited to buy mine!

Hopefully the price of the 2014 models will be next to nothing by 2017. I'm thinking I might turn in the lease, then turn around and buy it back from the dealer immediately.

Hindsight, Hindsight, Hindsight. :eek:

But if I'd waited, with no guarantee that prices would drop, I wouldn't have had this great, fun, economical car for the past year. Some times it worth it to pay the early adopter penalty, and I think this is one of them. :mrgreen:

My lease is up 9/30/16, and I'm spending entirely too much time thinking about what I'll do then. I really shouldn't be thinking about this for a year, but I keep running through scenarios in my mind. Will the Bolt be out? Do I want to get one of the first ones of those? Am I willing to pay the early-adopter premium? What about Leaf 2.0 or Model III? Should I look into extending the lease for a year to let things settle down a bit? Will there be a ridiculously cheap lease on a leftover 2016 Spark EV? If so, should I get that and have three years to watch the price of the Bolt, Leaf, Model III, Ford's next EV, et. al., hoping they drop like the current-gen cars? Yes, I obsess a bit, but I doubt I'm alone in that. :D

$12,000 for the Spark EV is an incredible purchase price! I still ended up leasing it because I want to get the Bolt, and don't want to bother with selling the Spark EV by then.

Just leased a Spark EV yesterday at very inexpensive cost and couldn't be happier to have it to play around with for the next 3 years...these things are alot of fun!

I, too, am so glad I didn't wait. I added up my gas bill for 2014 (I still own an '87 Toyota pick-up) and paid a whopping $70.00 for the YEAR! I'm about to take my Spark in for its 15,000 mile service. Man, I hope that tire rotation and cabin filter change don't tax my pocketbook too much. :D

I do wish I could think of a good reason to have a second Spark. It would be worth trailering it back from the valley for that financial break. $13000 off between taxes and rebates. Nice deal!

Scheduled maintenance should be free for the first 2 years (at least it is listed on my window sticker and was discussed by my dealer as such)...

I had to drive 70 miles to get a Spark EV, so going back to them for service isn't easy. There were closer dealerships, but no one wanted to bother getting me an EV. So, for service, I go to the mechanic who took care of my old Accord. I still want to support them because they are good, quality people.

I purchased my Spark EV 1LT on April 12, 2015, and GM announced the price cut on Tuesday, April 14, 2015. :(

I've tried contacting the dealer and GM, and both make it seem as if there's something that can be done to possibly assist with some kind of refund, but neither will actually do anything. I'm currently being told to "write a letter" to a GM P.O. Box.

Is there anything I can do to try and get the $1,650 back?

xylhim said:
Hopefully the price of the 2014 models will be next to nothing by 2017. I'm thinking I might turn in the lease, then turn around and buy it back from the dealer immediately.
I have the same thought.

I'm thinking the Bolt will be out in September next year, as they said 2017, and that's when the new models come out, typically. My lease will be half thru, but I could pay iff for a whopping $1,500. If I keep driving the rate I am, I will owe $1,500 in mileage overage in 3 years, so it makes sense to either work a deal and buy the Spark, or... more likely, get the Bolt and eat the $1,500. Well worth it. I'll likely lease the Bolt, as well. See what happens with the Model 3, which I'm betting will be very late - probably 2019 before you can reasonably expect to get one, even if they're technically available in 2018 - assuming they are. Not sure what the latest schedule is. So, two years with the Spark EV and two years with the Bolt, and either keep the Bolt or pay off the lease and get the Model 3 - or keep the Bolt for the three years and get the 2020 model of the Model 3 in late 2019. (anyone else freaked out about throwing out dates like 2020? where does the time go?!!)

Back