New owner..Painted front grill black and got my Bosch EVSE

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muadib69

Hi, about a month now leasing this Spark. Got my $2500 rebate and now waiting for my carpool sticker. Love the car so far. I also got the 16amp Bosch charger for free ($500 rebate). Paid an electrician $250 to install it. I also cannot stand the silver grill so I plasti-dipped it black. Looks much better in my opinion.

G7KQp96.jpg
[/url]

XkwxPgk.jpg
[/url]

Nice job on the grill! My Spark is the same colour and I agree with black looking a lot better for the grill, plus it's less immediately identifiable as an EV from that angle now - I may have to look into this!

I like the grill! Been thinking of doing that on my light blue Spark, but I'm pretty lazy so...

curious, did you remove the grille or spray it in place?

I like the silver grill. The sort-of-hexagon pattern is the same as on the Volt, and thus makes them a family. I turn my head at each Spark I see on the road, hoping it's an EV, and am let down if the grill is black because that shows it's not. Why wouldn't you want it known you're in an EV? Only an EV nerd would know, anyway.

Carney said:
I like the silver grill. The sort-of-hexagon pattern is the same as on the Volt, and thus makes them a family. I turn my head at each Spark I see on the road, hoping it's an EV, and am let down if the grill is black because that shows it's not. Why wouldn't you want it known you're in an EV? Only an EV nerd would know, anyway.

I think the black/white contrast looks better, although I will admit it's a bit more plain. It's true though, now that I think about it - the Spark is such a 'sleeper' car already for an EV (which is why I like it out of pretty much all the entry-level models out there). I think I'm also a bit paranoid about people wanting to damage the car because it's an EV (people who don't like the idea of tax credits, etc.) It has happened with other cars (Leaf, Tesla, etc.) I am not someone who will be charging at public stations very much, so the potential for damage occurring while it's in a marked stall for EVs should be fairly low.

OP - would you be able to do a closeup shot of the grill? Is the pattern still visible after the plastidip?

oregonsparky said:
I would be leery about painting parts on a leased car. Would they make you pay for new grille at the end of the lease?

jeff
They'd be fully within their rights to do that. Make no irreversible changes to a leased car without the lessor's written permission.

emv said:
oregonsparky said:
I would be leery about painting parts on a leased car. Would they make you pay for new grille at the end of the lease?

jeff
They'd be fully within their rights to do that. Make no irreversible changes to a leased car without the lessor's written permission.

Ever heard of plasti-dip paint? It peels right off. My next project is to plasti-dip the whole car yellow similar to the picture below. Again it will peel off and will actually preserve the paint since its a lease.

securedownload-14.jpeg

ExtensionCord said:
I like the grill! Been thinking of doing that on my light blue Spark, but I'm pretty lazy so...

curious, did you remove the grille or spray it in place?

I sprayed it in place and didn't even mask anything. It's plasti-dip so any overspray after I painted wiped right off.

muadib69 said:
emv said:
oregonsparky said:

jeff

Ever heard of plasti-dip paint? It peels right off. My next project is to plasti-dip the whole car yellow similar to the picture below. Again it will peel off and will actually preserve the paint since its a lease.

I had never seen it before. I *do* like the look of the black instead of silver...

jeff

NorthernSpark said:
Carney said:

I think the black/white contrast looks better, although I will admit it's a bit more plain. It's true though, now that I think about it - the Spark is such a 'sleeper' car already for an EV (which is why I like it out of pretty much all the entry-level models out there). I think I'm also a bit paranoid about people wanting to damage the car because it's an EV (people who don't like the idea of tax credits, etc.) It has happened with other cars (Leaf, Tesla, etc.) I am not someone who will be charging at public stations very much, so the potential for damage occurring while it's in a marked stall for EVs should be fairly low.

OP - would you be able to do a closeup shot of the grill? Is the pattern still visible after the plastidip?

Here is a closeup shot of the grill painted with flat black plasti-dip paint (removeable, peelable)..
ldMgn54.jpg

that looks great, will you spray mine? :)
I'm not a fan of any chrome on any car. I'd black out the bowties too.

I did this to my Volt and now my Spark EV. I like being discrete and blending in, not having an obviously different car.

Lesson learned: Do all the surrounding masking and paper, don't scrimp, up to within a 1/4'' of the silver. Use paper way out beyond where you think you need it.
Then do the detailed masking last. I use vinyl electrical tape for details because it stretches around the curves.
The deal is, after spraying the tape has to be removed while the plasti-dip is still soft.
It's hard if the inner detailed taping is under all the surrounding masking.

Also, Rust-Oleum makes this kind of product and you can find it at your local 'Depot'.

That's pretty slick. I'm not a fan of the silver grille. I've never heard of that product but will definitely look into it.

When you say the plasti-dip peels off that makes it sound like it's a bit flimsy. How does it hold up to random pieces of freeway debris like small rocks?

looks great! i have dipped wheels on my van for a few years now and it just started to peel off after a long 1000+ mile trip (and i think fat tires caused the edges to loosen up too). other than that, grilles, emblems and a few more parts are still intact. just make sure to apply at least 5 (personally) for easy peeling and watch dip videos a lot. i have some chameleon dip now in my spark too on another thread. have fun!

Back