Bluetooth woes

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasparkster

Ever since I've picked up the Spark, I've had 2 challenges; notifications and bluetooth. You can click the link to read about the notifications, here are the challenges I have with the bluetooth:

* It takes at least 45 seconds to connect - every other car and accessory I've ever connected to takes 1-2 seconds. The spark routinely takes 45 - 90 seconds.
* Sometimes it doesn't connect at all and I have to manually connect
* Sometimes the car will cause the phone to play music/podcasts every time a button on the phone is pressed, or just randomly.

I have an android phone made by Motorola (Droid Moto G) and I don't have any trouble with it otherwise as far as bluetooth is concerned.

Does anyone else have bluetooth trouble with the Spark? I've called OnStar a few times, but they have no idea.

What software version do you have?

I had the same issues you're seeing. My Spark is being reflashed today with the latest radio software to fix the display always reverting from F to C. http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4088

Maybe, just maybe, they added Bluetooth bug fixes to the software as it evolved from 16.26-94511142 (what I had) to 16.31-42354648 (what I expect to get). I'll let you know if I notice any Bluetooth changes.

Zoomit said:
What software version do you have?

I had the same issues you're seeing. My Spark is being reflashed today with the latest radio software to fix the display always reverting from F to C. http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4088

Maybe, just maybe, they added Bluetooth bug fixes to the software as it evolved from 16.26-94511142 (what I had) to 16.31-42354648 (what I expect to get). I'll let you know if I notice any Bluetooth changes.

It has more to do with your phone than the car. I got a Windows Phone recently...Lumia 830...and it connects as soon as I turn the car on...within seconds. The previous phone I had took forever.

Very possible, but my woes were with an iPhone 6 Plus and lasparkster's were with a Droid Moto G so it could be something more car-centric.

It's possible it's both the car AND the phone. I have connected to literally 48 devices all within seconds. So I have a feeling their bluetooth code is missing a 1 or 0 when working with certain devices.
I'm taking it back in soon for notification problem - i'll make sure they give it the latest and greatest (which will probably break something else). Pardon my cynicism, in case there are doubts - it's warranted.

Thanks for the firmware version numbers, Zoomit. I'll let you know what i get. Right now I'm at 16.1-95281509 so that doesn't look good at all.

Zoomit said:
Very possible, but my woes were with an iPhone 6 Plus and lasparkster's were with a Droid Moto G so it could be something more car-centric.

Doesn't the Spark EV have Microsoft's software installed? Voice recognition, etc??

If so, that may be why my phone is so quick to connect. Just a thought but I could be wrong.

I got the car back today after the radio software update to 16.31-42354648. The F to C issue is fixed. My iPhone connected, then disconnected, then reconnected within about a minute. Not sure if this bodes well or not. A quick scan of the settings didn't show any changes to the options or my selections.

Initially I did have a lot of problems. I have a moto X and I've found that it connects almost as soon as I turn my bluetooth on in my phone. It plays music fine but can mess up when I try and make calls especially if I try and do anything through the touchscreen menus (phonebook, dialer). I really hope that we can update to Android Auto/Carplay in the future.

I use an iPhone 5. I don't use Bluetooth often on other devices so I don't know how my connection speed compares, but I did used to have connectivity issues with the Spark. I was also having other non car related issues on my phone such as messages not coming through. I found if I totally shut down my phone once a day, both of these issues have gone away. The phone has been consistently connecting.

nozferatu said:
Zoomit said:

Doesn't the Spark EV have Microsoft's software installed? Voice recognition, etc??

If so, that may be why my phone is so quick to connect. Just a thought but I could be wrong.

Yes, the head unit software is WinCE.

Back