Spark EV Recall? Battery Energy Control Module Reprogramming

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawl

I took my car into the dealer for the 7500 tire rotation (note on THAT near miss, below) and was told at check in that there was a recall notice for my car, a required service update to "reprogram the battery energy control module on certain 2015 model Spark EVs. In these vehicles, a software anomaly can cause a reduction in electric power from 120kW to 50kW, which can limit the vehicle's driving range to 6.5 miles..., set DTC P1EAB, and cause the vehicle to fail to start at the next key/power ON cycle."

Anybody else have this done yet? (or any problems with their car?)

Re tire rotation: I was waiting yesterday for my car to be done with the 7500 checkup (tire rotation), and although I told the guy who checked me in that they needed to be rotated left to right, NOT front to back, and although he said he would tell the mechanics, I decided to keep my eye on them as they proceeded. Low and behold, they were starting to rotate front to back, so I sprinted into the service bay and stopped them.

Lesson: keep your eyes on this when you have it done. !!!!

Wow, I'm amazed nobody has commented on this so far, given the level of interest in our car's workings. I can copy and post the Chevrolet document describing it if anyone wants to see it.

Reading this SB makes me wonder why this is not fleet wide for the '15's.
Why would you wait for a customer to complain about getting this msg?
Shouldn't a known problem be taken care of preemptively?

And does it really glitch out and only allow '6.5 miles range', when 'power is reduced to 50kW'?
If anything you would get more range in a 50kW limited Spark EV.

This is NOT a recall, which would be for safety related items; this is a service campaign, which means there is likely to be an issue with this vehicle someday, but it's not critical and might not happen right away. In this case, ANY time the vehicle is in a dealership, the dealer is expected to perform service campaigns such as this. It could be in for a tire rotation and it'll get this done, likely without you even knowing. Happens all the time, I've had it with my Nissan Leaf in the past and the dealer didn't say a thing until I asked why I lost regen braking power after they rotated the tires... (I knew what they did, and was upset because I didn't want the irreversible change they made).

Bryce

Nashco said:
This is NOT a recall, which would be for safety related items; this is a service campaign, which means there is likely to be an issue with this vehicle someday, but it's not critical and might not happen right away. In this case, ANY time the vehicle is in a dealership, the dealer is expected to perform service campaigns such as this. It could be in for a tire rotation and it'll get this done, likely without you even knowing. Happens all the time, I've had it with my Nissan Leaf in the past and the dealer didn't say a thing until I asked why I lost regen braking power after they rotated the tires... (I knew what they did, and was upset because I didn't want the irreversible change they made).

Bryce

Thanks for the clarification.

So this only impacts cars in a certain unpublished VIN range, correct? And when we visit the dealer service dept, they would check to see if we're in that range and if so perform the update?

Would it make sense to contact the dealer and ask if our car is in range for the update?

Back