How do I reboot this car?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomit

Yesterday I noticed that my OnStar app was unable to connect with the car to update the battery state and mileage. It was able to lock and unlock the door remotely. My wife's app is doing the same so I suspect either the car has issues or something is amiss with the ether between the car and my phone.

I'd like to give my car a 3-fingered salute, so to speak, and see if anything changes. What's the preferred method of rebooting the car? Detach the 12V battery positive cable for a minute?

P.S. I never expected GM to have a 1st tier software development team...and my experience with the Spark EV has only reenforced my expectation.

Zoomit said:
Yesterday I noticed that my OnStar app was unable to connect with the car to update the battery state and mileage. It was able to lock and unlock the door remotely. My wife's app is doing the same so I suspect either the car has issues or something is amiss with the ether between the car and my phone.

I'd like to give my car a 3-fingered salute, so to speak, and see if anything changes. What's the preferred method of rebooting the car? Detach the 12V battery positive cable for a minute?

I believe OnStar may be the problem as I cannot update my 2014 or 2015 Spark EV info either - tried on 9/23/2015 @ 9:45 pm California time.

Ah ha! Good to know I have company. Thank you for the feedback. I'll be patient and see how this plays out with OnStar.

I am also seeing the same issue. The app appears to fail to see an internet connection on the phone .even though one exists.

I restarted my phone and that did not help. I am going to try reinstalling the app..

Jeff.

I logged onto OnStar via my computer this morning and, after drilling down to one of my vehicle accounts, found the maintenance information was "currently not available". This is definitely an OnStar problem and has nothing to do with the vehicle or internet connection.

I logged into the Chevrolet Owner Center (on Tuesday evening, 9/22) when I first noted that the OnStar app was not working and saw a "Unable to connect to your vehicle" message.

No apparent change since then, two days later...

Via the app on my iPhone, I can remotely lock and unlock the car, as mentioned previously, and also see it's location on the map. I cannot check the hotspot or vehicle status.

Also, interestingly, the car's data on http://www.voltstats.net/SparkEV does continue to be updated.

Zoomit said:
Ah ha! Good to know I have company. Thank you for the feedback. I'll be patient and see how this plays out with OnStar.

I called OnStar and they say they know about the problem but don't have an estimate of when it will be fixed.

kevin

In my case, diagnostics try updating and eventually give up. I haven't had a working update since 9/20 and I've tried everyday since.

Over the last week, I noticed that my phone was having the battery constantly drained at an extremely high rate

Then I noticed a great deal of network activity.

I stopped and disabled alot of apps but left the onstar app so I could know when to expect my wife home. She has a long commute and I wanted to continue to use the onstar app map feature to find her location as she drove home....

I noticed alot of network activity on the phone again this evening so I stopped the onstar app and the excessive network traffic i mediafely stopped and battery drain stopped....

My feelings can be summed up as follows. ...

What a piece of crap....

All should disable the onstar phone app until they resolve the issue.

Jeff

Jeff,

You need the Wife Tracker app. It's independent of the car she is in.
When Onstar worked it did all I wanted from it.
Of course I never tried to track anyone driving my car. That would be cool! Only I'm not lending my car out.

So the app worked for about 3 days, and then stopped working on 10/9. I gave it another few days to see what transpired and there was no change. I lost all the app functionality to my car. The app could not lock/unlock, see battery status, etc.

I removed the black/negative battery connection from the car's 12v battery and reconnected it a minute later. This "rebooted" the car and all is normal now with the app. I still cannot get charging status updates in the Chevrolet Owner Center website.

Please kick me if I ever decide to drive an autonomous Chevy someday.

Back