jump starts?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

So I know the Spark has a 12v battery and it looks from the owners manual as though it can get a jump start if necessary. So I am wondering 1) are there times when a jump start would come in handy? and 2) can it give a jump start? (and if yes, then is there anything that can be done to increase the charge like revving the engine in neutral helps on an ICE?)

Homer said:
So I know the Spark has a 12v battery and it looks from the owners manual as though it can get a jump start if necessary. So I am wondering 1) are there times when a jump start would come in handy?

If the 12 volt battery is dead, then your car won't go.

Homer said:
and 2) can it give a jump start? (and if yes, then is there anything that can be done to increase the charge like revving the engine in neutral helps on an ICE?)

Not sure if you could give a jump start. You could increase the charge by rolling the car downhill, but that may be a bit impractical :lol:

I'm pretty sure the radio, lights and accessories all power off after 10 minutes.
If you were determined to run the 12V battery down you could with patience....
Then a jump start would let you boot up the Spark EV.
Then the DC to DC converter immediately comes online and provides the 12V accessories, actually 13.8 to 14.2V when powered on.
Just like a normal car when the alternator is online.
The 12V battery in both cases just floats on the 12V bus of the car. There is no way to increase this bus voltage.

You could jump start another car.
But I would definitely have the car power off. You don't want your Spark EV dealing with the load of the other car's starter motor.
Or power up with jumper cables in place and let your DC to DC converter send current to the other dead battery for a while. Then disconnect the tow cars and let them give starting a try.
Usually the other car has a problem and a jump won't help.

In fact skip the whole idea, unless you have to be the hero and AAA can't come to your location.
Make up a story about how the Spark can be damaged or something.....

In fact skip the whole idea, unless you have to be the hero and AAA can't come to your location.
Make up a story about how the Spark can be damaged or something.....
Very sage advice, Norton. As much as I would like to help someone in need, I would be very concerned about hurting my Spark.

jsca72 said:
....As much as I would like to help someone in need, I would be very concerned about hurting my Spark.

Worst case scenario:
Somehow you are at a distant location. Your Spark EV and a van full of orphans and nuns have to get off the volcano NOW and the van's battery is pooping out.
Disconnect your Spark battery's negative cable so you can isolate the battery from the car.
Then be the hero !!!

The Spark EV battery only boots up the system. It takes very little power to do it. Once the HV battery is online the 12V battery just sits there on the 12V bus.

So none of you guys even bothered to read the manual I take it?

The Spark can be used to Jump Start another car by connecting directly to the battery with the power on. Last time I had to do that it was a hybrid, so it only needed a few seconds to boot up it's computer and turn it's DC-DC converter on, so no huge starter motor draws from the Spark.

I have jump started my Spark EV before (when my miniature lithium 12v racing battery was discharged), it works just like you'd expect. Install jumper cables, turn car on, remove jumper cables. Leave the car on for a significant period of time and it will automatically charge the battery.

As Sparkler said, the owners manual discusses jump starting:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2k14spark_ev.pdf

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2015-spark-ev-owners-manual.pdf

Bryce

Sparkler said:
..... read the manual ....
...The Spark can be used to Jump Start another car by connecting directly to the battery with the power on.

I don't care if RTFM says to allow an other car's starter motor hit my Spark's DC - DC converter with a big current draw.

I might let someone draw current from my car, but NOT crank their starter motor when I'm powered on.

Back