Spark misses another accident, thankfully

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsca72

My SparkEV came through for me again today.

I was on the up side of a hillside trying to turn across traffic and waiting for oncoming traffic coming down the hill to clear. My blinker was going, and I had the brakes on so the car coming from behind should have seen I was stopped. But no! All of sudden I realize I have a full size van right behind me, closing in too fast! I slammed my foot on the accelerator and shot ahead of him. In an ICE car, I probably would have been smashed from behind. I know I would have been hit if I had been in a Prius C or Yaris. They’re cute but gutless.

As I’ve stated in other posts, I truly feel, when looking at safety, we must also take into consideration how well a car avoids an accident.

I continue to believe my Spark is safe and a real gem!

jsca72 said:
My SparkEV came through for me again today.

I was on the up side of a hillside trying to turn across traffic and waiting for oncoming traffic coming down the hill to clear. My blinker was going, and I had the brakes on so the car coming from behind should have seen I was stopped. But no! All of sudden I realize I have a full size van right behind me, closing in too fast! I slammed my foot on the accelerator and shot ahead of him. In an ICE car, I probably would have been smashed from behind. I know I would have been hit if I had been in a Prius C or Yaris. They’re cute but gutless.

As I’ve stated in other posts, I truly feel, when looking at safety, we must also take into consideration how well a car avoids an accident.

I continue to believe my Spark is safe and a real gem!

Nice! Keep alert out there!

Good thinking to accelerate away.

There truly is nothing like seeing a bigger vehicle coming up fast in your mirror. I used to have a AH Sprite, it's tiny, even compared to the Spark. Nimble though, that saved me a few times, like from idiots turning left right in front of me, then slowing down before getting out of my lane. Quick steering into the oncoming lane did the trick that time. The other time nothing would have saved me when traffic stopped suddenly on the freeway and I was trapped in the fast lane behind and beside stopped cars. The sound of a F-150 trying desperately to stop behind me was terrifying! Seeing it in the mirror sliding sideways towards me with all four tires smoking did not help either! Thankfully it came to a shuddering stop before it could hit me.
I finally sold that car after having a cement truck run a red light right next to my front bumper. The VW in front of me had gone through the green light, but the pickup to my left did not move, so I was inching out to see why not, when I found out why he was waiting...

Congratulations! You made it through another day on our whacky highways where 3000 pound vehicles flit hither and yon, often leaving skipped heartbeats in their wakes.

I've been rear-ended twice. One was at a yield sign and the other was stopped at a red light. Like your incident, neither was a surprise but I lacked an escape route. Oddly, they both happened to the same light-gray pickup truck, which was also run into four more times while parked. I guess the color blended into the asphalt. May I ask the color of your Spark EV?

What impresses me most is the Spark's stopping power. Today I had to lock up the brakes again, second time in 4 months. Some guy wasn't happy with how fast his lane was progressing so he decided my lane was better. No signal, no warning and no space. I was only doing about 20 so it was only REALLY close! But he did politely wave to me after hearing my tires skipping and chirping. I guess he was happy I didn't kill him. :shock:

So… what, if anything, is going on here? Supreme acceleration to swiftly whisk us out of trouble. Amazing stopping prowess for avoiding intimacy with the blindest drivers on the planet. Do we have the safest car on the road? Or does someone have to survive a roll-over first to make that determination?

Dusty

Back