Chevy Spark EV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: To trade in Spark or not?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:48 am 

I have a 2015 Spark EV with DCFC CCS option. Purchased the car while I was a foot loose bachelor but things have changed. Looks like I'll be married next spring with an instant family to boot. Don't get me wrong, I love my Spark but a new life style and a few charging incidents have made me consider trading in the Spark for a PHEV. With the Spark at it's highest trade in price now and my $10K tax break (I qualify) I could do that today for a Ford Fusion Energi or Plug in Toyota Prius or 2015 Honda Accord (discontinued this year).
pure EV only mode range for available PHEVs:

Cmax energi - 19 miles
Fusion energi - 19 miles
Prius PHEV - 11 miles
Accord PHEV - 11 miles
Sonata PHEV - 27 miles (not available yet)
Volt ver 1 - 38 miles
Volt ver 2 - 53 miles

I still want at least some EV only mode. Any advice?

Last edited by stevon on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: To trade in Spark or not?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:17 pm 

Hi Stevon, congrats and all that...Have you looked at the "compare EV's" chart on
http://www.insideevs.com? It compares many of the EV specifications such as EV miles vs. total miles (ev + gas capacity range), 0-60 times (you'll probably want that info after driving the Spark), and much more. It doesn't compare the other "common" features such as # of doors, cargo room, etc. And it's updated regularly.
It looks like the Volt would be your best option if getting lots of clean EV miles is high on the agenda. I haven't driven one, though.
Can you please elaborate on the "charging incidents" (No guns, hopefully)

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:52 pm 

Dave,
Thanks for the link will be sure to check it out! As far as problems, once someone hooked their car on the EVSE cable on My Spark because they were parked in an EV charging spot, (not their fault spots aren't marked "EV only") when they pulled out they destroyed my J1772 connector on the car! No note or apology either, Also Tesla, Leaf, 500e and others in public unplugging me because they think Spark EV solid charge light means "its done" like in their cars, My fiancée having to give me rides to charge site every other day, Getting stuck without juice 300 yards down hill from a friends house and having to get towed, threats at my job for charging at work (congressional order). if you look for posts under "STEVON" in this forum, you will get a better knowledge of my experiences
Stephen

dangerHV wrote:
Hi Stevon, congrats and all that...Have you looked at the "compare EV's" chart on
http://www.insideevs.com? It compares many of the EV specifications such as EV miles vs. total miles (ev + gas capacity range), 0-60 times (you'll probably want that info after driving the Spark), and much more. It doesn't compare the other "common" features such as # of doors, cargo room, etc. And it's updated regularly.
It looks like the Volt would be your best option if getting lots of clean EV miles is high on the agenda. I haven't driven one, though.
Can you please elaborate on the "charging incidents" (No guns, hopefully)

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:20 pm 

Thanks, stevon. I have read about most of these incidents, but didn't realize this...batch was all yours. Sorry you had so much frustration over such a relatively short period of time.

David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:34 pm 

David,
Thanks, city life I guess...
dangerHV wrote:
Thanks, stevon. I have read about most of these incidents, but didn't realize this...batch was all yours. Sorry you had so much frustration over such a relatively short period of time.

David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 pm 

From over here on the east coast, we think of San Diego as like a beautiful park more than a city. Maybe we're just expanding on the beautiful weather you are known for.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:32 pm 

That is true about the weather out here. Tourism is a big part of the economy here. I've been in SoCal for 13 years without using heat or air conditioning! worked in Manhattan for a few years as an IT consultant in a "real city" New York. San Diego reminds me of my first 41 years living in Northern NJ suburbs. Can't say I miss the snow or weather changes there though. The BEV problems and limitations are pushing me to a more logical practical vehicle, maybe a few other folks as well?
dangerHV wrote:
From over here on the east coast, we think of San Diego as like a beautiful park more than a city. Maybe we're just expanding on the beautiful weather you are known for.

Dave

Last edited by stevon on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:08 pm 

How much of your problems or challenges relate to not being able to charge at home? I can't imagine not charging each night at the garage. It would be a completely different experience for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:19 pm 

Zoomit,
For one thing I live in an apartment with several other tenants. Even if it is possible (not always) to get close enough to plug in, Its a real pain navigating and clearing the other cars in the driveway.
another part of my motivation to charge away from home is by arranging for free charging, for me break even cost would be achieved in 6 years for TCO including, maintenance(tires, brakes, etc.) and gas (juice). So when I trade it in for a BOLT or Tesla Gen3 car or whatever. My plan could ease the pain of money lost and the inconvenience of short range BEV use.
The other problem is the SDG&E rate rape. "the more you use the higher your base rate becomes" The added load home charging can double and even triple your monthly bill. Once you hit a certain threshold (I'm still researching the exact KWH amount) you are kicked into a higher household base rate. At peak use time (we have wireless household "smart meters", they know when and how much you use) your bill can go up to $0.48 per Kwh! I have not surpassed the threshold level and plan not to!
See http://www.sdge.com/clean-energy/ev-rates (very confusing calculation)

Stephen

Zoomit wrote:
How much of your problems or challenges relate to not being able to charge at home? I can't imagine not charging each night at the garage. It would be a completely different experience for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:06 pm 

Sounds like you're in a hard spot. We switched to the SoCal Edison Time of Use rate when we got the Spark and our electricity bill has gone down. That has been an unexpected surprise.