Fake noise maker

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkevBlogspot

This was in "Spark EV - An affordable electric racecar" and pulling it out here since it's not relevant to his topic.

WattEV said:
Just disconnect the noise maker control unit. Super easy to get to. It is on the floor behind the center console next to the accelerator pedal. Where the driver side and passenger side carpets meet behind the center console, you can separate the two pieces easily as they are attached with just Velcro. Pull the Velcro apart and you will see the only control unit which is for the noise maker...It's small. Disconnect the connector and that's it.

When I tried this, warning icon popped up with "P" letter and check engine "idiot light" came on. I don't know what it means, so I reconnected it. Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos. However, I did measure sound; all are approximate. Noisemaker is only active when in R, D, L.

car off: outside = 32 dBA, inside = 31 dBa
car on, normal: outside = 44 dBA, inside = 36 dBA
car on, no noise maker: outside = 32 dBA, inside = 31 dBA. It's pretty much same as in P or N.

Without the noise maker, car is silent. You might think 4 dB is not a lot, but it is very noticeable in when stopped at traffic light. It sounds like "freight train" to exaggerate a bit.

If you plan to test, removing the connector involves pulling the white tab on top toward rear of the car. That allows pressing down on the black part, and you can slide out the connector. However, it could damage the car, so don't do it unless you can afford broken car.

Edit Apr. 3, 2016

Thanks to Zoomit, it was found that removing 7.5A fuse #23 (labeled PFAF) is the way to disable the fake nose maker.

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4436&start=23

Even without the noise maker, there's still slight humming sound from the pumps, though much less. It's probably as quiet as the car can get.

As for "safety", Toyota Prius is quieter than SparkEV even without the fake noise maker. As such, I don't see this "safety" feature as doing anything useful.

SparkevBlogspot said:
This was in "Spark EV - An affordable electric racecar" and pulling it out here since it's not relevant to his topic.

WattEV said:
Just disconnect the noise maker control unit. Super easy to get to. It is on the floor behind the center console next to the accelerator pedal. Where the driver side and passenger side carpets meet behind the center console, you can separate the two pieces easily as they are attached with just Velcro. Pull the Velcro apart and you will see the only control unit which is for the noise maker...It's small. Disconnect the connector and that's it.

When I tried this, warning icon popped up with "P" letter and check engine "idiot light" came on. I don't know what it means, so I reconnected it. Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos. However, I did measure sound; all are approximate. Noisemaker is only active when in R, D, L.

car on, no noise maker: outside = 32 dBA, inside = 31 dBA. It's pretty much same as in P or N.
Without the noise maker, car is silent. You might think 4 dB is not a lot, but it is very noticeable in when stopped at traffic light. It sounds like "freight train" to exaggerate a bit.

If you plan to test, removing the connector involves pulling the white tab on top toward rear of the car. That allows pressing down on the black part, and you can slide out the connector. However, it could damage the car, so don't do it unless you can afford broken car.
Because BEVs are so quiet, it is necessary to make some noise to alert pedestrians who might not hear the car and step in front of it. Is it wise to disconnect this feature?

MrDRMorgan said:
Because BEVs are so quiet, it is necessary to make some noise to alert pedestrians who might not hear the car and step in front of it. Is it wise to disconnect this feature?

My bicycle doesn't have a noise maker on it and I haven't run into anybody yet. I drove my Think City a lot in the city without a noisemaker and managed to avoid running over a pedestrian. Is it wise to rely on a noise maker to prevent running over people? It's the law to have a rear view obstacle detection/camera system on all vehicles under 10,000 pounds soon (2018), but for some reason GM doesn't let us have the same rear view camera that they designed into the Korean Spark EV and the gas Spark. I'm MUCH more worried about running over a thing/person that I can't see behind me than the ones I can see in front of me!

Bryce

SparkevBlogspot said:
... However, I did measure sound; all are approximate. Noisemaker is only active when in R, D, L.

Great job of technically measuring the sound !

Only,,, I'm never 'outside' the car when it's on.
So why does anybody care about this safety feature?

MrDRMorgan said:
Pedestrians should look before stepping into road. It may benefit the blind, but blind should rely on other sounds anyway (ie from lights). Fake noise may benefit them below 10 MPH, but when stopped, it makes virtually no difference. Even at below 10 MPH, it's up to EV driver, not pedestrians relying on fake noise.

My Prius is (was :-( ) lot quieter than SparkEV. When stopped, Prius makes no noise. Leaf is dead quiet. By comparison, SparkEV sounds like a jet engine (yes, exaggerate a bit) when stopped in R, D, L.

Norton, it's supposedly so that pedestrians can hear EV, presumably so they don't bump into it. Seeing how even 10 MPH makes more noise than fake noisemaker, this "safety" feature is useless.

By the way, I live in the woods, so it's very quiet, though not at anechoic chamber quality. If one measures elsewhere, absolute values will be different, though relative values would be similar.

NORTON said:
So why does anybody care about this safety feature?

The noise maker drives me nuts. When I'm staged for a race and trying to get in the zone, it's nearly silent. The stage ahead is clear. Helmet on, belt tight, waiting for the green flag, and focused 100% on the road ahead. The flagger next to my car can here a WOOSH and I can hear a WOOSH, even though I'm just sitting there...but aren't electric cars supposed to be silent? Why can't I turn this dang thing off? Well, I can...by shifting it to neutral. Make that 98% focused on the road ahead, and 2% on that stupid noise maker that isn't helping anybody on this closed course...

Bryce

Where is the actual noisemaker unit itself? Seems like it's toward the lower left front of the car. Maybe it could be muffled instead of disconnecting the controller.

Nashco said:
The noise maker drives me nuts. When I'm staged for a race and ...
Sorry. Should I have kept it in your thread? It's too late now, but maybe you can add the result to your thread, such as how to disable it.

Nashco said:
MrDRMorgan said:

My bicycle doesn't have a noise maker on it and I haven't run into anybody yet. I drove my Think City a lot in the city without a noisemaker and managed to avoid running over a pedestrian. Is it wise to rely on a noise maker to prevent running over people? It's the law to have a rear view obstacle detection/camera system on all vehicles under 10,000 pounds soon (2018), but for some reason GM doesn't let us have the same rear view camera that they designed into the Korean Spark EV and the gas Spark. I'm MUCH more worried about running over a thing/person that I can't see behind me than the ones I can see in front of me!

Bryce
There must be some reason they put the noise maker into the car or is it just there to annoy the driver? I do agree it would be great to have the rear looking camera.

MrDRMorgan said:
There must be some reason they put the noise maker into the car or is it just there to annoy the driver? I do agree it would be great to have the rear looking camera.

Sure, there is a reason it's there for some use cases...but why can't I turn it off when it doesn't make sense? I have the same problem with the rear air bags. I have removed my rear seats, why can't I disable the rear air bags for a non-existent passenger, but I CAN disable the front passenger one where somebody can still sit? Why can't I disable the automatic locks? Why can't I disable the tire pressure monitors when I bolt wheels to the car without sensors? Those are all great to have SOME of the time, but if it doesn't help me other times I should have the power to change that system IMO.

SparkevBlogspot said:
Nashco said:
The noise maker drives me nuts. When I'm staged for a race and ...
Sorry. Should I have kept it in your thread? It's too late now, but maybe you can add the result to your thread, such as how to disable it.

Nope, this topic should have its own thread. I've never bothered to tinker with it, but it does drive me crazy.

Bryce

Someone figure out a way to disable it without triggering messages. You'll be a hero.

I didn't realize until this thread that the sound was artificial. Now it's going to bother me every time I hear it :lol:. Not nearly as obnoxious as the Fisker Karma though (has speakers in front and rear bumpers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABlWqBB6zPE

elpwr said:
Where is the actual noisemaker unit itself? Seems like it's toward the lower left front of the car. Maybe it could be muffled instead of disconnecting the controller.
Exactly...old sock, tape, cut up koozie; there has to be a way to make it quieter, if not block the noise altogether.

SparkevBlogspot said:

WattEV said:

Pull the noise maker??? Just remove the fuse...it's that simple.

Found the fake noise maker you can barley see it looking straight down behind 12 volt battery under hood. To access turn front wheels to the right 1st, then go in front of the drivers side front wheel between wheel and bumper, pull two 8mm hex/phillips screws out (under front bumper/wheel fender), then two more from bottom up (in between front bumper & front driver wheel ), wedge it back about 3-4in carefully from bumper and plastic fender, unit is 3in round gray & black color plastic with black metal bracket one 10mm nut holds bracket, if you want unbolt nut remove unit w/bracket bolt nut back down , unplug connecter loop wire and zip tie w/connecter facing down maybe even tape up connector. This will not throw check engine/idiot lights, I removed mine with no issues. Oh and horn sits just above fake noise maker so don't unplug the wrong one.

nozferatu said:
Pull the noise maker??? Just remove the fuse...it's that simple.
Indeed, super easy. It's #23, a 7.5A fuse on the interior fuse panel, located down and to the left of the steering wheel. A fuse puller is available in the fuse panel under the hood.

Was it tested? For those with tech manual, does this fuse only affect the noise maker or does it affect other things? If other things, what are they? Thanks.

SparkevBlogspot said:
Was it tested?
Sure. Fuses are intended to isolate specific components, as you know. They can combine functions but this fuse is listed as the "Pedestrian Safety Signal" in the manual (Page 10-26).

One benefit, that I don't think has been mentioned, is that the noise provides the driver with an auditory reference for when the vehicle can move if you release your foot from the brake. Without the noise, and with the built-in creep function, there's no way to tell that the vehicle can drive forward if, after stopping, you do not put the vehicle in neutral or park and you release the brake.

Back