Zoomit

Re: Fake noise maker

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:22 am

It's fuse #23 as depicted on the map on the panel cover and also in the manual.
2015 Spark EV: 2LT, DCFC, Summit White

SparkevBlogspot

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:46 am

I have 2015, and maybe it's different? There are no numbers on fuse panel, but some labels. 7.5A are labeled as RPA, PFAF, OSRVM. I pulled out one at a time, but there was still noise when in R, D, L. There are 2A fuses, DLIS and SWC BKLT, but neither kills the noise maker. So the question still is, which fuse?

SparkevBlogspot

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am

This link says
The Spark EV also features a Pedestrian Friendly Alert Function (PFAF) to alert those nearby of the vehicle’s presence. To activate a friendly horn, pull the turn signal lever toward you like you are flashing the headlights. The alert will only work in Drive.

The PFAF also can be set to activate automatically. It is active in Drive and Reverse at speeds below 18 mph (28 km/h). The sound is intended to be barely audible in the cabin.
Yet, I still wear "whoosh" after I pull out this fuse. Will try again later in the day.

Zoomit

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 am

I also have a 2015 (see sig). Per the 2015 manual (page 10-26), the Pedestrian Safety Signal is #23. The map is also shown on that page. The map is also replicated on the interior side of the fuse panel cover. Page 10-26 is page 263 in this pdf: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/C ... manual.pdf

Interestingly, the 2014 manual has #23 list as the "Pedestrian Friendly Alert" so it appears they renamed it for '15. The descriptions of both systems are similar between the '14 and '15 manuals (Page 5-3). I'd expect pulling #23 fuse to work the same in either model year. https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/C ... ark_ev.pdf

For safe keeping, you can put the removed fuse in slot #5 or #6 that are "Not Used". The pedestrian horn alert, which is activated by pulling the headlight stalk, remains operational.
Last edited by Zoomit on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkevBlogspot

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:11 am

Brilliant! It worked! It seems the car still makes small bit of noise (pump?), and I thought that was from the noise maker. But that's far less audible and now the car is almost silent. Leaf is quieter still, I suspect due to non-existent battery cooling on them.

lalacurf121

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:33 pm

What they're offering, it's great too.
ดาวน์โหลด gclub

NORTON

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:50 am

I guess it's great if you sit with your windows open right next to a wall to reflect the sound back to you.
And of course never have the audio system playing.

THEN, you can hear the difference.

Conversely, when I'm rolling out of my quite neighborhood early in the morning or evening, I pass walkers, and their dogs. (and poor decision making squirrels. What's wrong with them?)
I like the idea of my car having some sound to it for "Safety" reasons.
That is the name of the system you just defeated in your car, you know?

Do you really hear this sound in normal usage? And it's annoying? What if there is ever a pedestrian 'incident' and they find out you defeated a safety system?
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +78 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try not covered / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

Zoomit

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:31 am

I can hear it every time I drive. I didn't realize the sound was fake went I first started driving the car, but it's very easy to pick out inside the car when stopped with the radio off. I credit the noise as saving my garage door/car nose as I almost let off the brake once when it was in D in front of the garage. I thought the car was in P but I heard the noise and checked the gear selector.
Last edited by Zoomit on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SparkevBlogspot

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 am

NORTON wrote:Do you really hear this sound in normal usage? And it's annoying?
Yes, this sound is damn annoying. 3dB is HUGE at such low volume. Especially bothersome is with audio books or quiet classical music passages during extended waiting at stop light.

There's no sound with my ancient Prius. Supposed EV that doesn't have gas engine that sounds like "jet engine" compared to a hybrid is ridiculous. This "safety feature" is garbage. How many incidents have there been involving stationary Prius and pedestrians? This is a non-issue made into an issue by some anti-EV bureaucrat with nothing better to do.

Zoomit

Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:57 am

SparkevBlogspot wrote:This is a non-issue made into an issue by some anti-EV bureaucrat with nothing better to do.
Or more specifically, the GM legal department. I welcome it as a feature, but wish it was user configurable or it could be turned off from the setup menu.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”