CSW

anybody have the "service vehicle soon light" come on?

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:03 pm

One of my Sparks had the "service vehicle soon" light come on in the gauge cluster. Car has like 9000 miles on it and seems to be doing fine. I have no idea why it came on. It is the car symbol with the "!" on it. Manual says I should take the car to the dealer to have it checked out...... I would rather not go there if I don't absolutely have to. My other Spark that has almost 30000 miles on it has never had that light come on..... Anybody else have this light come on? Any fixes? Thanks.

Zoomit

Re: anybody have the "service vehicle soon light" come on?

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:46 pm

I've had the SVS light come on twice on my '15. Both times it went out by the next day.
2015 Spark EV: 2LT, DCFC, Summit White

NORTON

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 am

Press the Blue Onstar button. Ask them to read the fault code to you in English and the code number.
If it is something about 'High Voltage charging system...', forget about it.

If the power grid in your neighborhood has a slight glitch, (lightening last night?) while charging you might get a certain fault code.
It goes away on its on after 2-3 full charge cycles.

To feel better about it, pop the hood and check the coolant levels. Top up the windshield washer!
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +73 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

CSW

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Light went off on its own after about a day and a half. My fav kinda problem... the one that solves itself! Thanks for the info. I am glad I don't have to go to the dealer.

NORTON

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:13 am

CSW wrote:Light went off on its own after about a day and a half. My fav kinda problem... the one that solves itself! Thanks for the info. I am glad I don't have to go to the dealer.
That Blue Button is a free service. Why go somewhere to have a code read off to you when you can talk to a nice person while sitting in your car, even while driving to work.
Although, it would be nice if you wrote the code number down to share with us geeks!
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

Zoomit

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 am

The first time my SVS light came on I pushed the Blue Button and had them run a diagnostics on the car remotely. It came back clean and so they recommended I take it to a dealer. The next day the light was out.

So it seems there is more logic behind the light than with OBD-II cars from years past.
2015 Spark EV: 2LT, DCFC, Summit White

Josy

Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 pm

NORTON wrote:That Blue Button is a free service. Why go somewhere to have a code read off to you when you can talk to a nice person while sitting in your car, even while driving to work.
Although, it would be nice if you wrote the code number down to share with us geeks!
I get free OnStar service for 3 months. Would I still be able to communicate with the OnStar rep when the trial plan runs out and when its downgraded to Basic?

NORTON

Sat May 14, 2016 5:02 am

Josy wrote:....I get free OnStar service for 3 months. Would I still be able to communicate with the OnStar rep when the trial plan runs out ...
There is only one full proof way to find out !!

Edit: Are you sure you don't get onstar for "3 years Free' ?

SparkevBlogspot

Sat May 14, 2016 7:20 am

After attempting to charge DCFC at San Clemente eVgo EVPump (not ABB), I got check engine light, and it refused to charge. I called OnStar, and she told me it's high voltage battery failed to charge / fast charge not working. She said to take it to dealer, but nearest dealer was 30 miles away while I only had 18 miles left. There's no L2 at this location.

There's another charger (ABB) in Mission Viejo about 12 miles away. I went there and I was able to charge, despite the check engine light. After charging, I let the car sit for an hour or so, and the light went away.

Lessons:

1. Be careful with these EVPump chargers

2. Calling OnStar will tell you the reason for light (and big brother knows where you are)

3. Some check engine light goes away after some time.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”