A Tesla and a Spark

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpwr

Early this week I bought a Tesla to go along with my Spark EV. I had been debating on the Tesla purchase for many months: considering new and looking at used as well. A Toyota dealer near me just listed this 2013 S85 - and had it priced very aggressively. The car has 19,000 miles and is in spectacular condition.

My Tesla is certainly an amazing car, with capabilities far beyond that of the Spark EV. But I just want everyone to know that owning the Tesla has made me even more appreciative of the Spark. Many of the things we love about EV's are just as evident in the Spark as they are the Tesla.

I'm really happy to have two electric cars. I don't intend to let the Spark go - at least until late this year or early next when the Bolt should have wide availability.

WOW! Congratulations! I'm curious about battery degradation on S85. I'm also curious if Supercharger indeed taper at rapid rate like other forum comments seem to indicate. I know it's not Tesla forum here, but still curious. I just might get one myself to experiment! ;-)

Why are you keeping the Spark? Do you need a second car?

A coworker of mine has both a Spark EV and Model S. He said the same thing when he got the Model S. The big shift was going EV, and the functional differences between his Tesla and Spark were minor.

I don't really need a second car. And I don't really need the two ICE cars I also have - but I just like cars!

Most people are reporting only a modest amount of battery degradation with the Teslas. Some have 100,000 miles on them with only a little range loss. I'll be watching mine carefully. There are several superchargers within range of me here in Central Florida. I haven't used one yet but I'm anxious to see how they perform.

I've actually been charging it from the 30 amp NEMA 14–30 220v wall plug I use for the Spark. Tesla will draw 24A from this and charge at about 18 mph. So it's pretty easy to add 200 miles of range by charging overnight.

I thought I would chime in since we own a 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (non-ludicrous) and a 2016 Spark EV 1LT w/DCFC. First off we love both vehicles, but for different reasons. I know everyone says the Spark EV is great acceleration, but nothing even comes close to the Tesla. The Tesla defies the laws of physics from a stop. The Spark EV only goes hard during pretty much full throttle where the Tesla throws you back by pressing an inch into the accelerator. The Model X is by far the best family vehicle ever made, tons of storage and ease of getting kids in with falcon-wing doors. The Spark EV is awesome for running city errands and getting groceries. Here are my pros and cons of each.

Model X P90D
Pros: great seats, great stereo, great power, technology galore, smooth cruiser on road trips
Cons: glitchy software, doors can be finnicky, attracts a lot of attention, thirsty (359 wh/mi lifetime)

Spark EV
Pros: fun to toss around, great at parking, nice display in front of driver, stealthy, very efficient
Cons: seats uncomfortable, stereo blows

I love both cars and actually prefer taking the Spark for quick trips in town!

As I said in another thread : "I still haven't decided that when it comes time to replace my super-efficient, low polluting PZEV gas-mobile, if I will buy a >275 mile BEV, or a PHEV (with at least 30 miles all-electric range). The latter would mean driving electric 98% of the time and have the ease of gas for long distance (>300 mile) trips. The former would be my choice if recharging speed was readily and cheaply available at supercharger V3 speeds (>= 160 kW)".

A Tesla and a city-EV are the perfect combo - there's not really anything like them at the moment (that is affordable). A used Tesla S (5-7 years old, $30-35K) is "acceptable" (IMO) as a medium-long distance vehicle (adds 150-200 miles in 20-30 mins). Personally, I wouldn't want to drive one over 400 miles or so (one way) per day (too much time waiting at a charger)... but that's me. When used model 3 LRs become available for under $20K (add 250 miles in 20 mins), I will consider getting one to replace my gas-mobile.

The only other vehicles (at the moment) that charge over 100kW for any reasonable length of time are all in the $80K and over price range. Hopefully that will change over the next few years.

Have a 2015 Spark, just turned 24k miles and still charges, in cooler temps, to 90-94! My wife drives a 2017 Volt Premiere with 51k on the clock. Charges to 55 and over 60 SOC...a few times over 70! Gets 44 or more on the freeway, is quiet and handles great.
Waiting for a Tesla Y with the new batteries and 1 piece front/rear ends.
But. not having a car payment is nice...we'll see what the future has in store.

Back