advice for slow leak on leased Spark?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

My one year old Sparky has developed a slow leak in a front tire (we came back from some time away and it was very low; I filled it and after a week it's lost about 10 psi). We are very low mileage drivers (although I confess I like to take advantage of the Spark's torque when I can ;)) so I haven't brought the car in for any maintenance not even tire rotation .

If I owned the car I would probably take it to the local tire place and if they couldn't easily find and fix the leak, then I guess I'd buy a new tire (I don't think I want to try and self-fix with goo, but I guess that's another option).

However, I've never leased a car before and I thought I'd check to see if I should do anything differently for a lease. Should I take it to the dealer (even if it's less convenient and more expensive)? Will it cause me any problems to return the car in 2 years with one tire different from the others (I certainly hope the others can hold out for 2 more years even with my "lead foot").

thanks for any advice!

Here's what I do when I have a tire leak:

I go to a tire shop, read a car magazine while I wait, and drive away with a repaired tire a little while later.

What else can you possibly do???? Just have it repaired....

I had to do this to my Spark EV about a month ago. It was a small piece of metal.
It cost me $20, tax included. (Small Kansas town where I work. Plus I knew I had it coming when I checked the app early in the day for 'charge complete time'.
I had a big RED warning in the tire pressure section. Gotta love that app !!)

Why fret, why suffer, why put it off? It's really just the cost of driving a car, or motorcycle, or bike, lawn mower, etc.....

Have you identified the location and cause of the leak? It's probably a small nail or piece of metal in the tread. As mentioned above, a tire shop can dismount and patch the tire from the inside, then remount and rebalance, easily and quickly.

For a slow leak, there should be no need to replace the tire.

Take it to a tire dealer now. Make sure that the tire is safe, assure that there is no damage to the sidewall. If not, patch the tire and move on. If the sidewall is damaged, replace one or both front tires.

Following is the GM end of lease wear and tear guide. You're responsible for tires as a wear item. Doesn't say you can't have a mismatched tire if you need to replace the leaking one, but does say undamaged. Not sure if a patched/fixed leak would be considered damaged or not.

https://www.gmfinancial.com/finance-options/excess-wear-and-tear.aspx

Normal:
Original manufacturer wheels
Undamaged tires with minimum 4/32" tread
Wheels with scratches or gouges less than 3"
Manufacturer recommended tire size and speed rating, regardless of tire brand

Excess:
Mismatched tire size and speed rating
Wheels with scratches or gouges greater than 3"
Tire tread under 4/32"

I just had a slow leak fixed in my spark ev. It turned out to be a nail in the tire. It was removed and patched. No charge from the local tire store. many around here provide this service to compete with Les Schwab who provides this service at no charge as well.

I strongly advise you to take it in and get it fixed...

jeff

Back