didget69

Any Spark EV Owners in North Carolina?

Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:07 pm

First Post:

I'm new to the forum & have been seriously considering the purchase of a 2014 or 2015 Spark EV... but I am concerned about after purchase
servicing here in North Carolina on said wee beastie.

Any NC (or VA/SC owners) that can offer any information would be appreciated -

bryan

didget69

Re: Any Spark EV Owners in North Carolina?

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:08 pm

... I guess I could be the first.

bnc

Neon

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:37 pm

It has been suggested to others in locations where the Spark ev isn't marketed that they check with local Chevy dealers before purchasing. I believe for the most part any dealer that services the Volt can service the Spark ev.
Good luck to you. I think it would be cool to have the only one around.

didget69

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:58 am

Update:

Called my local Chevrolet dealership (family-owned, has been in area since 1928) Service Department - Svc Writer said that he did not see any reason why the car could not be serviced locally.

Okay.

bryan

didget69

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:38 am

Okay. Status update...

Had a fun weekend road trip - took a dive into the deep end of the EV pool & purchased a 'basically new' 2015 Blue Spark EV with DCFC... Only 178 Miles on the odometer - :mrgreen:

The car is scheduled to ship from MD to NC shortly - we're looking forward to possibly having the first one in NC... much like "NORTON" here on the forum, we feel like we'll be pioneers in the Mid-Atlantic area. 8-)

...and the deal clincher in this purchasing process was that the Primary Driver of 'Evie' (my Wife has already named her new car) works at an office where the Level 2 charging is free; and a CCS charging station (if required in a pinch) is ~2 miles from our house.

Spark EV FTW! 8-)

Bryan

Taxman

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:22 am

Nearest Level 3 combo charger to me is in Canada. Next closest are Indianapolis and Chicago. Zero in Michigan unless GM has some that they didn't tell Chargepoint about.

But if I buy a Spark without DCFC, I just know they'll start popping up within 100 miles of me in the next 2-3 years and I'll wish I could use them.

glmessick

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:53 am

Hey Taxman! Check the PlugShare.com website. Not a ton of CCS DCFC, but some: Ann Arbor, Brighton, Canton, Livonia, Sterling Heights, and Ferndale.

(Used to live in Ann Arbor, and was contemplating a trip from MD back home. Baltimore to Pittsburgh is still the problem!)

PhilPen

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:07 am

I live in CT and would like to do something very similar to you. Could you give me a rough idea of what the vehicle and shipping cost you for your nearly new Spark EV, as it could be a great guide for me (I'm a bad price haggler). I tried to get a dealer in MD to sell me a new one over the net but they said I had to have a MD residence to buy one. I presume that doesn't apply for used vehicles?
Phil
didget69 wrote:Okay. Status update...

Had a fun weekend road trip - took a dive into the deep end of the EV pool & purchased a 'basically new' 2015 Blue Spark EV with DCFC... Only 178 Miles on the odometer - :mrgreen:

The car is scheduled to ship from MD to NC shortly - we're looking forward to possibly having the first one in NC... much like "NORTON" here on the forum, we feel like we'll be pioneers in the Mid-Atlantic area. 8-)

...and the deal clincher in this purchasing process was that the Primary Driver of 'Evie' (my Wife has already named her new car) works at an office where the Level 2 charging is free; and a CCS charging station (if required in a pinch) is ~2 miles from our house.

Spark EV FTW! 8-)

Bryan
2015 Spark EV 2LT electric blue with DCFC
2016 Spark EV 2LT salsa red with DCFC

didget69

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:21 pm

PhilPen wrote:I live in CT and would like to do something very similar to you. Could you give me a rough idea of what the vehicle and shipping cost you for your nearly new Spark EV, as it could be a great guide for me (I'm a bad price haggler). I tried to get a dealer in MD to sell me a new one over the net but they said I had to have a MD residence to buy one. I presume that doesn't apply for used vehicles?
Phil
Phil:

Anyone, anywhere can purchase a used Spark EV. Shipping from MD to NC was ~ $450.

Bryan

NORTON

Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Or tow it home with an SUV and a rented one-way dolly from U-Haul for $120.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +82K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try car died again, 2nd try not covered / cost $800. 3rd try fixed the problem.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”