Recall on 2014-2016 EV

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EldRitch

I noticed that mychevy.com is now telling me that I need to deal with a recall -software for the airbags. No email, just an item on the car page. Apparently it's just a SW upgrade.

Anyone else find this notice yet?

I saw an article on this today. Lots of Chevys are affected. I have not taken it by the dealer yet, but from what I understand, the recall is because onder certain conditions the air bags may not deploy in a wreck.

https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls

for my VIN, I see the airbag recall:

GM Recall #:
NHTSA #
Date Issued:
Sep 08, 2016
Recall Title:

Frontal Airbag And Pretensioner Non Deploy
Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014-2017 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD, GMC Sierra LD, Buick Encore, Chevrolet Trax, Chevrolet Caprice Police, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles, 2014-2016 model year Buick Lacrosse, Chevrolet Spark EV, and Chevrolet SS vehicles and 2015-2017 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD, GMC Sierra HD, GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade Cadillac Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Suburban, and Chevrolet Tahoe vehicles. The sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) in these vehicles, which controls airbag and pretensioner deployment, contains a software defect which may prevent the deployment of frontal airbags and pretensioners in certain rare circumstances. If the frontal airbags and seatbelt pretensioners do not deploy when required, there is an increased risk of injury to occupants in a crash.

Safety Risk Description:

If the frontal airbags and seatbelt pretensioners do not deploy when required, there is an increased risk of injury to occupants in a crash.

Repair Description:

Reprogram the SDM with new software that eliminates this defect. In vehicles with any previous deployment events recorded in the SDM, the dealers will replace the existing SDM with a new SDM containing the latest software.

Insideevs just posted a brief article on this:

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-spark-ev-recalled-airbag-issue/

Just a few more details, not much.

I have an appt to get this fixed. Figured at the same time they could finally fix my temp setting (which still reverts to celsius every time the car turns off) and the regen/brake lights. Any other small fixes I should ask for?

Homer said:
I have an appt to get this fixed. Figured at the same time they could finally fix my temp setting (which still reverts to celsius every time the car turns off) and the regen/brake lights. Any other small fixes I should ask for?

Deg C problem: - Have the dealer look up bulletin P1457 Doc ID 4109861

Unwanted brake lamp activation - recall / campaign 15582

Frontal Airbag and Pretensioner Non Deploy - recall / campaign 16007

I have had all of these updates completed on my 2015 Spark EV 2LT.

The dealer can also perform the quick charge socket modification. I did my own following instructions posted on this forum and have had no problems charging. To be fair, I made the modification before I started quick charging so I do not know if my car would have had a problem or not. But.... I have not had any problems charging since the modification.

The car continues to run perfectly.

So I took it in for the airbag fix and they said there were two other recalls, one for the brake lamp and one appears to be something about dashboard messages for low propulsion--I could dig up the campaign number if it's of interest.

However, they weren't able to fix the stupid celsius degree problem-- didn't seem to know about it so I gave them the bulletin number and after 2 hours and installing the other fixes they said they bulletin didn't seem to be fixing the problem!?

Does anyone know if the odometer gets reset manually after these software installations, or if it's persistent in the system? I am just curious because my mileage was exactly on xx,500 when I got the car back and it's possible they took it for a test drive and finished exactly on that number but I was wondering if it's also possible they just rounded.

I also laughed because the form they gave me recommends I come back for maintainence fairly soon-- felt like asking them "what maintenance" because I assume that's generated by the system for oil change intervals but I had spent enough time there and didn't want to be a jerk.

Homer said:
So I took it in for the airbag fix and they said there were two other recalls, one for the brake lamp and one appears to be something about dashboard messages for low propulsion--I could dig up the campaign number if it's of interest.

However, they weren't able to fix the stupid celsius degree problem-- didn't seem to know about it so I gave them the bulletin number and after 2 hours and installing the other fixes they said they bulletin didn't seem to be fixing the problem!?

Does anyone know if the odometer gets reset manually after these software installations, or if it's persistent in the system? I am just curious because my mileage was exactly on xx,500 when I got the car back and it's possible they took it for a test drive and finished exactly on that number but I was wondering if it's also possible they just rounded.

I also laughed because the form they gave me recommends I come back for maintainence fairly soon-- felt like asking them "what maintenance" because I assume that's generated by the system for oil change intervals but I had spent enough time there and didn't want to be a jerk.
Messing with the odometer is taboo and the dealer could get into big trouble if they mess with it. It sounds like they did not take the car out for a test check and I question if they even attempted to correct the deg. C / deg. F problem. Mine was fixed on the first try. Each time I take my EV in for a recall / campaign fix, I see about 5 miles put on the odometer when I get the car back. Every recall / campaign I have asked my dealer to fix, they have fixed. I have a 2014 and 2015 Spark EV and my dealer has updated the recall / campaign software in both cars without any further after-service problems.

Yeah, I am fairly annoyed with the fact that they couldn't fix the deg C problem. He didn't even seem to know about it, so I gave him the bulletin number and then there's a notation on the receipt that the bulletin didn't work. I don't really want to give up a couple hours to get it fixed, but I was looking forward to having it fixed since I had to take it in for the airbag anyway.

Homer said:
Yeah, I am fairly annoyed with the fact that they couldn't fix the deg C problem. He didn't even seem to know about it, so I gave him the bulletin number and then there's a notation on the receipt that the bulletin didn't work. I don't really want to give up a couple hours to get it fixed, but I was looking forward to having it fixed since I had to take it in for the airbag anyway.
Rather than being annoyed, take it back to the dealer, ask them to fix it and demonstrate to you that it is fixed. Otherwise, every time you look at the display, it will really bug you when you see the temp has switched back to deg. C. I know it really bugged me to the point I had to have it fixed and I am comfortable working with metric units.

MrDRMorgan said:
Homer said:
Rather than being annoyed, take it back to the dealer, ask them to fix it and demonstrate to you that it is fixed. Otherwise, every time you look at the display, it will really bug you when you see the temp has switched back to deg. C. I know it really bugged me to the point I had to have it fixed and I am comfortable working with metric units.

That's what I should do, but the dealer near me got shutdown in the recession so it would take a chunk of the day to get it fixed again. I think I will try to use it as motivation to learn my celsius/fahrenheit conversions. ;)

Homer said:
MrDRMorgan said:
Homer said:

That's what I should do, but the dealer near me got shutdown in the recession so it would take a chunk of the day to get it fixed again. I think I will try to use it as motivation to learn my celsius/fahrenheit conversions. ;)

To get deg. F when you have deg. C: multiply deg. C by 1.8. Then add 32 to the result of the multiplication to get deg. F. Example: 100 deg. C x 1.8 = 180. Then add 32. The result is 212 deg. F. 100 deg. C or 212 deg. F are both the metric and English boiling points of water respectively.

To get deg. C when you have deg. F: subtract 32 from deg. F. Then multiply the result of the subtraction by .55555 to get deg. C. Example: 212 deg. f - 32 = 180. 180 x .55555 = 100 deg. C

Or just learn that :

20 C = 68 F
25 C = 77 F
30 C = 86 F
35 C = 95 F

and then multiply the 'extra' by 2 and add/subtract to get approximate temp, like so :

It's currently 33C outside, so it's about 91F. (DAMN, but it has been hot in CA recently!! It was almost 40C in the SF bay area yesterday!)

SparkE said:
Or just learn that :

20 C = 68 F
25 C = 77 F
30 C = 86 F
35 C = 95 F

and then multiply the 'extra' by 2 and add/subtract to get approximate temp, like so :

It's currently 33C outside, so it's about 91F. (DAMN, but it has been hot in CA recently!! It was almost 40C in the SF bay area yesterday!)
HOT? Yes! I live in Manteca - 100 Deg. F yesterday.

My Spark said it was 112 outside when I got in it yesterday. And it was in the shade.

67goat said:
My Spark said it was 112 outside when I got in it yesterday. And it was in the shade.

I am assuming at least you don't have the deg C problem. ;)

Homer said:
67goat said:

I am assuming at least you don't have the deg C problem. ;)

Actually, I was parked on the day side of the moon. But no, I do not have the deg C problem.

Did just get the airbag fix done (along with my 15k service).

Re. Unwanted brake lamp activation - recall / campaign 15582

This seems to have been fixed on my 2016. While driving in a dark wooded area last night, I was able to see in the rear view mirror when the brake lights lit up.

With the car in L, the lights would come on immediately if I took my foot off the pedal - no 1.5 second delay.

Back