SparkEV 1000 km in 16 hours video

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkevBlogspot

I wrote in my blog post of theoretical possibility of 1000 miles a day (24 hours) with SparkEV, and there's a video of someone doing 1000 km in a day (16 hours). While that's "only" about 950 miles in 24 hours, it's still pretty damn good for a car that's rated for 82 miles range EPA. I suspect he couldn't clear extrapolated 1000 miles in 24 hours due to inability to keep 70 MPH average speed while driving (traffic, etc).

The music and scenery are pretty exciting. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Nn1o09OD4

That's pretty good. I note, however, that he appears to have used one charging network exclusively during the trip (and was able to use DCFC each time). The Province of Quebec is a step ahead in terms of charging network/partners and fast charge stations. You could try that here in Ontario, and while there are plenty of stations (in general - not level 3 specifically), you are more likely to encounter a station that is out of service due to charging stations being managed by so many different hands (i.e. some are maintained, others not so much). Also, for some you need an access card as well, and if they are managed by different companies, then you need to make sure you have an access card for each before you head out.

Those Canucks .... ;)

I'm starting an Exploitative Committee on bringing this title to America!!!

And doing it BIG ! 1000 American Miles in 24 hrs in a Spark EV.

1KAM24

What are the rules?

Multiple drivers?
All drivers must be onboard for the entire record attempt?
One Way trip?
Or 'Loitering' around a metro area with 15 DCFC stations?
Visit all 15 DCFC's?
Speed limits observed?
Maintain an ideal EV speed? ( like Tesla's have to do on cross country road trips.}
What is that speed?
Photo-video/web based documentation of this record attempt?

Any technical/inspirational help appreciated!

We choose to bring this TITLE south, in this year, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

NORTON said:
Maintain an ideal EV speed? What is that speed?
According to calculations, running speed should be about 70 MPH for 2015+ while 2014 with fresh battery could be bit less. Scroll down to "1000 miles a day revisited" in this blog post.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/03/range-polynomial.html

As for the other rules, I think one problem is many lease the car with limited miles (including me). Wasting 1000 miles for such experiment is costly. But if one's inclined, even 500 miles in 12 hours or 250 miles in 6 hours might be enough as "proof of concept"

Unfortunately in SoCal, there are too many Leaf who get free charging and using dual head when Chademo is sitting empty that every other DCFC session will be waiting for them. Free charging will result in death of EV.

SparkevBlogspot said:
NORTON said:
Maintain an ideal EV speed? What is that speed?
According to calculations, running speed should be about 70 MPH for 2015+ while 2014 with fresh battery could be bit less. Scroll down to "1000 miles a day revisited" in this blog post.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/03/range-polynomial.html
... Wasting 1000 miles for such experiment is costly. But if one's inclined, ... 250 miles in 6 hours might be enough as "proof of concept".....
... Free charging will result in death of EV.
Blog,
Thanks for the reply and research!

I found this on your link:
1000 miles a day revisited

Now that we have more uniform data, we can revisit our 1000 miles a day test. The data may not be accurate, but they are at least uniform (accuracy? reality? they don't mean jack!) 1000 miles / 24 hours = 41.667 MPH. With 20 minutes of DCFC + 10 minutes to get on/off the freeway, we have to keep an average speed of 41.7 MPH to drive 1000 miles a day. Below is a plot of average speed over driving speed.

I read a little on this Drive/Charge/Repeat subject on a Tesla forum. They claim 68 mph is the sweet spot. But then they charge at 100kW. The Spark EV at 50kW.
It's a game between battery capacity, charge rate and consumption rate @ X speed while driving, correct?

You say above 70 mph, but on your blog you say '42 mph'. That would be 23.8 hrs. of just driving, obviously the sweet spot is somewhere in between.
Thanks again for your input, but further clarifications are needed. And I like your idea of a 250 mile/6 hr. 'Proof'. All I need is some weekend when I'm not swamped with chores....
Here's my initial rough numbers:
13 x 20 minute charge time = 4.33 hrs.
13 x ~70 miles per charge = 910 miles, plus original charge = 980 miles.
1000 miles @ 50.8 mph = 19.67 hrs.

It's true, 1000 miles to set a silly record is,, silly. I own my car, but I'd still be eating into the 3yr/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty.
I have a few action cameras, lots of cards, and I can find video editing help. What would be a good way of documenting the actual 1000 mile record attempt? Some video would be nice just to post this feat on Youtube. And get it there quick, before the Bolt comes out and those guys just laugh.... :lol:

..And again, you hate free public charging. I love it !
My car has now cost me +$650 less than I paid for it! And getting cheaper each time I plug in. These ARE the glory days for EV's !!
From my ChargePoint Stats:
Energy (kWh)

70 is driving speed, 42 is the target average speed to complete the 1000 miles in under a day.

Let's say I drive 60 miles at 70 mph, taking 51.5 minutes. Then I replace that energy in a 30 minute pit stop and I'm ready to drive 60 more miles. On average, I'll be completing 60 miles every 81.5 minutes, or 44.2 mph average, so I should hit the 1000 mile mark in under 24 hours.

Taxman said:
...Let's say I drive 60 miles at 70 mph, taking 51.5 minutes. Then I replace that energy in a 30 minute pit stop and I'm ready to drive 60 more miles. On average, I'll be completing 60 miles every 81.5 minutes, or 44.2 mph average, so I should hit the 1000 mile mark in under 24 hours.
Tax, thanks, that's what I'm talking about!

Only I believe the strategy would be to leave the DCFC at the 80% SOC mark because it tapers the charge to 24kW @ 80%, and then tapers even more later. I don't think I'd ever be able to do a 30 minute pit stop. I could test this sometime by arriving really low and wait for 100% SOC. It may still be less than 30 mins.

The Tesla guys have this all figured out. I don't think they stay for 100% SOC on road trips, but then, I think I read their cars may do the calculations for them if they're on a long road trip.

I don't know what a strategy would be for this feat. I'm never going to be pushing the limit but I should be moving as much as possible. Here's my area:

One is in use! How unusual :p But that cluster of 4 is actually two 24kW units at a BMW dealer, I think. I'm going to see if they are really "Always Open" later today.

And one Tesla showing up with their Chademo--Tesla adapters 10 minutes before me, near the end of this attempt could miss things up... :cry:

NORTON said:
Thanks for the reply and research!
Glad you found it helpful. It was to satiate for my curiosity, but I figure others would find it interesting, maybe even motivating to try. :)

NORTON said:
...But then they charge at 100kW. The Spark EV at 50kW.
Tesla only charges at peak power for short time. Average power to 80% is much lower, especially for smaller battery cars. It could be as low as 60 kW or 70 kW. Given that SparkEV is more efficient than Tesla, actual number of miles added per unit time may not be very different, maybe only about 20% for smaller battery Tesla.

NORTON said:
...I like your idea of a 250 mile/6 hr
When (if?) you're doing 250 miles test, make sure to include initial full charge. Then you may need to run bit quicker than 6 hours.

NORTON said:
...Bolt comes out and those guys just laugh
Bolt will still be 50 kW charging, so what Bolt will be saving will be 10 minutes per charge session (5 min to get off road and find charger and 5 min to get back on). For about 20 DCFC sessions needed for SparkEV, that's 200 minutes. For about 5 DCFC sessions for Bolt, that's 50 minutes. Bolt will only be about 150 minutes quicker to 1000 miles than SparkEV (about 2.5 hours). Of course, this assumes Bolt efficiency will be comparable to SparkEV, which should be the case since highway MPGe are similar.

NORTON said:
...Tesla showing up with their Chademo--Tesla adapters .. could miss things up.
You talk about Tesla with adopter ruining things, but even if one EV cause you to wait, it will mess things up. Now if you had to wait for s.l.o.w. charging Leaf on every DCFC and almost all of them are locals getting free charge, you'd be singing a different tune. SparkEV at 80% would be done (100%) in under 10 minutes; Leaf at 80% would take close to an hour. Now if this happened to you every single time (which is the case with me these days), it's not a mere annoyance, but a questioning of the future of EV.

I'm not sure if I can do 1000 miles in 24 hours- but come this December, I will come close. From Southern Washington to Southern California. With the 24kW chargers along the route, making it in 24 hours will be tough- but we'll see!

My calculations are based on 13.25 kWh in 20 minutes at every DCFC session, which is 40 kW on average. That won't be possible with 25 kW chargers.

If you're trying for this, you'll need to make sure to run down the battery far enough so that the state of charge (%) upon arrival at DCFC is low to allow 40 kW average power when (if?) you go over 80%. I charged to 89% and averaged 39 kW (13 kWh, 20 minutes), so you will need to end up bit lower terminal state of charge (85%?) to have 40 kW average, but still 13.25 kWh or more.

As a comparison to 24 kWh Leaf, same charger to 89% on Leaf took 30 minutes and 9 kWh, which is average power of 18 kW. SparkEV might travel twice as far as Leaf in given time. Scroll down to "Edit Oct. 18, 2015" in this blog post.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/vs-nissan-leaf-quick-charge.html

I also find that not all DCFC are the same; some charge as low as 36 kW while others charge at 48 kW even when they're the same ABB units but in different locations. Hopefully, they will average out if you can avoid 25 kW chargers.

More details about his trip can be found here. It seems to say he used climate control (5%) and total used for the trip was 144 kWh to 161 kWh.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmenu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com%2F1000km-en-une-journee-td53319.html&edit-text=&act=url

If you can read French, original is here.

http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/1000km-en-une-journee-td53319.html

Back