His and Hers Spark EVs have very different range

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcalira

One of our Spark EVs has a range of about 65 miles. The other one is more like 85 miles. Why? We're both pretty easy drivers. See the shots of their energy histories below.

OBt37sAraps1MExH0q9WGUaMI1s4_l7J6OdBZFH1gID5sM7kZYlEJ7NbAHGUWU2C3FLb15EDD5tbqTU=w1366-h638-rw

nhHEfDZP_ebsUJ5-VYSZ62jSNMBAxJoIJdCom_5mttdaFAk4rcD82dk3KGQ0unqCr2W_BkasXfu4Na0=w1366-h638-rw

It's a GOM and it responds to how the car was previously driven.

You drive down the hill, she drives up the hill ???

She flogs it, you tip toe?

She likes it comfy in the cabin, you avoid that temp button?

Tire pressures?

Ah, here it is! Swap cars for a few days!! I'll bet the GOM ranges swap places....

Alcalira said:
I like the swap idea. I'll give it a try.
Here is another idea. Fully charge both vehicles and reset the trip meter. Drive until 50% is remaining. Make note of the miles per kWh for each car. Swap cars and repeat the charge and drive. Note: your 21015 may perform slightly better depending on how many miles are on it. New tires need a break-in period.

oregonsparky said:
The largest variable effecting fuel mileage is the driver....

jeff
....unless you turn on the heater. The full-charge range of my 2014 Spark EV 2 LT has been averaging 105 miles. Yesterday it was cool enough to retest the effect the heater would have if I used the AUTO feature of the heating / AC system. Prior to starting the test, I had already driven the car 25 miles and my average battery usage was 5.9 mi/kWh. I set the temperature to AUTO and adjusted the temperature to 74 deg. F and let the car figure out what was best. After a 40 mile trip, my average mi / kWh battery usage had dropped from 5.9 to 4.8. Since the heater was not on for 25 of the 65 miles, my 40 mile mi/kWh trip average was somewhat lower. I expected this as last winter, when temperatures were in the low 30s and the car had not been pre-heated, I saw the mi/kWh initially drop below 3 and then recover to about 4 to 4.3.

For reference: My 2014 Spark EV - which I drive - has averaged 105 mi/Kwh for the last 3169 miles has been driven in L and mainly in town. My 2015 Spark EV - for which my wife is the main driver - has averaged 96 mi/kwh for the last 5315 miles and is driven in D - except when I drive it - with both freeway and in-town driving. Both cars did have some AC use during the hot summer but no heater use.

NORTON said:
...Ah, here it is! Swap cars for a few days!! I'll bet the GOM ranges swap places....
Well, Alcalira has not reported back and I fear the worse....

He took my suggestion to swap cars and compare his driving style to his wife's and ,,,,,,,

ABORT. ABORT... Turn Back....
No good will come from this test, buddy. I take back that recommendation.

They are now in divorce counseling and are deciding who gets which Spark EV.

btw, you guys are missing a decimal point on your XX/kWh, or something..... You are not getting over 10 miles per kWh. Unless it's all downhill, then anything is possible.

Back