Installing Bosch charger in Oregon for tax credit

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzzzzz

So I was able to get a Bosch EL-51253 and need some recommendations for an installer. I'd like to get the unit professionally installed as to be able to qualify for the "Alternative Fueling Systems" Oregon tax credit; and ideally just install a 14-50 NEMA outlet and I can do the rest.

Has anyone here had their unit installed and was able to get the credit? I've searched around but really haven't seen a whole lot of feedback on this.

Thanks ahead of time!

http://driveoregon.org/discover/incentives/

There is also a Federal tax incentive - see above...

I received the certificate for the Oregon EVI installation in a few weeks.

How much you pay is largely determined by the difficulty and distance of the install. No permit required, I just sent a copy of my invoice from the electrician.

Very true. Mine should be a basic install. Plenty of room on the panel for the 2 pole, outlet maybe a foot away from the panel, and there is sheet rock but that should be a quick snake through for the wires. My estimates so far has been from $285 to $650, although these have all been just over emails.

And good to know permit is not required. Thanks!

I don't see anywhere in the documentation that the EVSE/Outlet needs to be professionally installed to get the credit.

Also, you probably don't need a permit to get the credit, but you're likely required to get one for installing a new branch circuit. Your estimates probably include $75-100 for the permit itself.

The EVSE, the install, and the permit are all tax deductible. I went for the permit with my install, they ran it up and over to a concrete wall, it was about $600 with the permit and materials.

Last time I sold a house, the permits were a big deal for the appraisal, so i consider them worth having. Also, one less way for your homeowners insurance carrier to weasel out of a claim.

My electrician (in Portland) put a sticker in the box that certified the work, and paid for the city permit as part of the contract.
He told me that if the whatever bureau ever wanted to inspect, the sticker is all the paperwork needed for the work. Not a bad argument for having a professional do the install.

It took several months for me to get the certificate, I ended up calling Salem and talking to someone in that group. The postcard showed up a few days later. No idea what the hold up was. Lesson: don't wait to the last minute to get that certificate for tax purposes. :shock:

nikwax said:
It took several months for me to get the certificate, I ended up calling Salem and talking to someone in that group. The postcard showed up a few days later. No idea what the hold up was. Lesson: don't wait to the last minute to get that certificate for tax purposes. :shock:

Thanks for the tips! And I'll definitely make sure to follow up if I don't hear from the state of oregon soon after I mail it in.

The one thing that's irritating me a little about all these RFQ's is that most of the electricians are asking if I am installing this outlet for a car charger. I think as soon as they hear that they automatically assume we own a Tesla and have gobs of money. :? Oh well.

Just an update on this. I had an electrician come out yesterday (Friday) morning, and although I attempted to do the majority of the prep work, for example routed the 6 AWG wire and installed the 14-50 receptacle and 50 AMP breaker, to be able to pass inspection for a permit, he did have to replace my 1 gang box with a metal 2 gang box, replaced my wiring with a bundle that had conduit, and instructed me to buy a matching brand breaker (I bought a GE when Eaton was what I had all throughout the panel) while showing me :shock: how to snap and wire up the breaker in once I did buy it. I just finished the install this morning, and everything looks good (measure 240V across the lines).

Charged me for just 1 hour's worth of his time and his gang box and wire. This alone was worth it to me for getting educated.

Inspection for the permit to follow, and the Camco 50 AMP plug should arrive tomorrow.

IMG_20161203_103208-001_zpstkalcrqi.jpg

Another update (this time not so good).

We bought a Volt (as a companion to the Spark) back in July and have been using the Bosch charger on it ever since. Yesterday, the charger started blinking between Red and Green, and did not charge the car. I tried resetting the breaker and turning off the unit, but the issue remains. Trying to contact Bosch now. The worst thing about this, is I bought the charger exactly 1 year ago on November 2016, and only installed it in December. These things only have a 1 year warranty!

AND, I can't 110V charge both the Spark and Volt on the same breaker in the garage as it trips it (I have to check the breaker amperage). I had to resort to plugging in one of the chargers from inside of the house to the garage to get on a separate breaker. Augh. :cry: :cry:

zzzzzzzz said:
The one thing that's irritating me a little about all these RFQ's is that most of the electricians are asking if I am installing this outlet for a car charger. I think as soon as they hear that they automatically assume we own a Tesla and have gobs of money. :? Oh well.

Looks like you came out OK in the end.
A guy charged you a reasonable price for time and materials, you got a good looking professional job done and he got paid.

It's good to find out which tradesmen will gouge customers based on the customer's perceived status.
Like the time I bought a 14 year old ML350 with a busted radiator at the salvage auction. Asshat tow truck owner asked me what kind of car it was, I told him how big and how heavy. No, he wanted to know the make, when I said Mercedes he said 'oh, that's different' and quoted me 50% more than the auction house wanted to arrange towing.
"So, you think you can charge extra because my $1000 junk car has a Mercedes badge on it?"
"(whiny voice) Well, my kids gotta eat"
"Well, see how your kids eat on the $0 I'm paying you" (and that's the total I'm paying this guy for the rest of my life when I could have been a regular customer to him)

Back