xylhim

Re: Roadtrip back to California from Edmonton

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Well, I've made it to Golden, BC. Its been slow going in these really cold temperatures, I've experienced as low as -27 C / - 17 F.

Often times the air is so dense that even if I'm going a slight downhill, I'm still having to push against the cold car. This makes it so I'm only getting good regen on really steep grades.

Today I went pretty slow, from Banff to Golden, BC, averaging about 45 mph. At this speed, and a good downhill grade, I was able to achieve a potential range of 93 miles. Temperatures varied between -17 and 5 F. Estimated battery capacity was 16.7kWh.

Tomorrow will be the toughest leg of the trip, before I hit the sting of Fast Chargers in interior BC. I'll have to go 147km on one charge. I'll likely not be able to make it, and will have to stop off at an RV park for a bit of a top-off mid route. I have a mostly downhill elevation gradient, but have to first climb a 1600 ft pass before descending 2800 ft. If the temperatures were a bit more warm, I don't think this would be a problem; I'm hoping for some slightly warmer temperatures tomorrow.

SparkE

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Well, you might be able to find a business in Donald that will let you plug in during breakfast/lunch, to get you an additional 10-15 kms ...

NORTON

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 pm

xylhim wrote:Well, I've made it to Golden, BC. Its been slow going in these really cold temperatures, I've experienced as low as -27 C / - 17 F. ...
I salute you Sir !!!
You are a fighter for the cause !!!
You are staring Winter's Icy Death in the eyes and driving on !

Please keep in touch.

The local EV enthusiast need to throw this person a party when he gets to his destination!!! :!: :!: :!:
'14 Spark EV 2LT w/ DCFC. 85k miles.
'17 Bolt Premier w/ It All! 53k miles.
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 1st try, nope, 2nd try / cost $800. 3rd try fixed it.

SparkE

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:14 am

Did you make it?

nikwax

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:05 pm

NORTON wrote: You are staring Winter's Icy Death in the eyes and driving on !

:D :D :D
2015 Spark EV 1LT DCFC
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S
ClipperCreek EVSE

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”