Cabin Temp Drains Battery even when AC is OFF???

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehjosheh

tl;dr: I think having your climate temperature at a high (and possibly low) temperature; regardless of whether the air is blow or AC is on still drains your battery. Anyone confirm this?

2016 Spark EV here and I've been averaging about 5.0+ mi/kwh on my daily commute to work since I purchased back in July. I noticed in late November that mileage dropped SIGNFICANTLY to ~3.8 mi/kwh.

First thing I did was I checked the tire pressure and noticed it was a couple psi low so I filled it up to normal. That got me to 3.9/4.0 mi/kwh.

Then I chaulked it up to "this must be what people mean when they say your ambient temperature affects your range." Thing is, I live in San Diego and weather here on average has been ~ 65 F during my commute (not THAT far from normal).

Then something occured to me. I have had my climate temperature at 80 F this whole time although it has NOT been in use while driving (no fan blowing, no AC, no defrost). The only purpose of me doing so is when I remote start each morning (while plugged in) the car gets to a comfortable temperature. As soon as I get in the car I turn off the AC/fan but have been leavingthe temp at 80 F for next morning.

Very next day I tried lowering the climate temp to close to ambient (still no fan/AC/defrost) ~ 65 F and viola! 5.2 mi/kwh.

I have been driving like that for a few days now and it has stayed strong around 5.0 mi/kwh. Now instead of keeping the 80 F all the time, right before I turn off my car @ the house I set it to 80 F then shut it off. First thing i do when i get into my car in the morning is turn the climate system off and set the temp back to ambient temperature.

Anybody else notice this phenomena? I seem to remember hearing other (gas operated) cars behaving the same.

Either way I am very relieved not to be looking at 3.8 mi/kwh every day - that was killer! Also, why can't we have climate settings available through the mychevrolet app for remote start? that would just be too awesome :D

This doesn't answer your question. But, I don't believe the remote start function cares what your climate control settings are. It seems to have some built-in settings it uses no matter what the controls are set to.

Do you have auto-defog turned on in the settings? That makes the climate system use power when you would not expect it to.

tehjosheh said:
tl;dr: I think having your climate temperature at a high (and possibly low) temperature; regardless of whether the air is blow or AC is on still drains your battery. Anyone confirm this?

2016 Spark EV here and I've been averaging about 5.0+ mi/kwh on my daily commute to work since I purchased back in July. I noticed in late November that mileage dropped SIGNFICANTLY to ~3.8 mi/kwh.

First thing I did was I checked the tire pressure and noticed it was a couple psi low so I filled it up to normal. That got me to 3.9/4.0 mi/kwh.

Then I chaulked it up to "this must be what people mean when they say your ambient temperature affects your range." Thing is, I live in San Diego and weather here on average has been ~ 65 F during my commute (not THAT far from normal).

Then something occured to me. I have had my climate temperature at 80 F this whole time although it has NOT been in use while driving (no fan blowing, no AC, no defrost). The only purpose of me doing so is when I remote start each morning (while plugged in) the car gets to a comfortable temperature. As soon as I get in the car I turn off the AC/fan but have been leavingthe temp at 80 F for next morning.

Very next day I tried lowering the climate temp to close to ambient (still no fan/AC/defrost) ~ 65 F and viola! 5.2 mi/kwh.

I have been driving like that for a few days now and it has stayed strong around 5.0 mi/kwh. Now instead of keeping the 80 F all the time, right before I turn off my car @ the house I set it to 80 F then shut it off. First thing i do when i get into my car in the morning is turn the climate system off and set the temp back to ambient temperature.

Anybody else notice this phenomena? I seem to remember hearing other (gas operated) cars behaving the same.

Either way I am very relieved not to be looking at 3.8 mi/kwh every day - that was killer! Also, why can't we have climate settings available through the mychevrolet app for remote start? that would just be too awesome :D
I set my cabin temperature to 73 deg. F and use the AUTO function to warm or cool the cabin as needed. If I want to pre-heat the car in the morning, I just leave the heater turned on when I put the car away for the night and plug in the car. 20 minutes before I want to leave in the morning I perform a remote start. Yes, the heater definitely kills your mi/kwh. It has been in the low 40s where I live so I have been using the heater quite often and I expect my average mi/kwh to drop to around 4 from 5+. I have even seen 2.5 mi/kwh when I first start out on a cold morning without pre-heating the car. As a "newbie" last year, I learned the impact the heater had on my range. This year, as expected, I have seen my full-charge range drop for both my 2014 Spark EV and 2015 Spark EV from around 100 to 78 and I expect it will finally drop into the 60s. I want to stay warm so I just work with it knowing the mi/kwh will go back up as the outside temperature warms up. The AC does the same thing but not quite as severe.

As mentioned above, also check your auto-defog setting.

CCIE said:
This doesn't answer your question. But, I don't believe the remote start function cares what your climate control settings are. It seems to have some built-in settings it uses no matter what the controls are set to.

Do you have auto-defog turned on in the settings? That makes the climate system use power when you would not expect it to.

Hmm, looks like I've got some reading up to do. For some reason I was under the impression that remote start used the last used settings.

As for auto-defog I was sure to disable that feature within weeks of getting my vehicle but thanks!

tehjosheh said:
CCIE said:

Hmm, looks like I've got some reading up to do. For some reason I was under the impression that remote start used the last used settings.

As for auto-defog I was sure to disable that feature within weeks of getting my vehicle but thanks!
Yes, the remote start uses the last settings. For example, if I have the heater turned on - I use the AUTO mode - and power off the car before getting out, a remote start will power up the car and turn on the heater using the last settings which, in my case was the AUTO mode set to 73 deg. F. I use the AUTO mode set to 73 deg. F so I do not have to continually mess with adjusting the cabin temperature in winter or summer. I just turn AUTO on or off. The car seems to do a good job of keeping the cabin temperature stable.

MrDRMorgan said:
Yes, the remote start uses the last settings. For example, if I have the heater turned on - I use the AUTO mode - and power off the car before getting out, a remote start will power up the car and turn on the heater using the last settings which, in my case was the AUTO mode set to 73 deg. F. I use the AUTO mode set to 73 deg. F so I do not have to continually mess with adjusting the cabin temperature in winter or summer. I just turn AUTO on or off. The car seems to do a good job of keeping the cabin temperature stable.

Got it, thanks!

Now my question is if the ambient temperature is 60 F and you are driving around with your climate setting at 73 F (AUTO is off, fan is off, AC off, defrost off), is your car wasting energy to keep your heater core at 73 F? This seems to be what I was experiencing (although more jurasically since I was leaving it at 80 - 85 F)..

MrDRMorgan said:

Respectfully, I disagree. The system has a built-in temperature it tries to achieve during a remote-start cycle no mater what the user controls are set to. It also will set the vents to defrost and activate the rear defroster if it's cold outside.

You can test this by completely turning off the climate control, turning off the vehicle, and then performing a remote start. The climate system will still activate and heat/cool the interior.

CCIE said:
MrDRMorgan said:

Respectfully, I disagree. The system has a built-in temperature it tries to achieve during a remote-start cycle no mater what the user controls are set to. It also will set the vents to defrost and activate the rear defroster if it's cold outside.

You can test this by completely turning off the climate control, turning off the vehicle, and then performing a remote start. The climate system will still activate and heat/cool the interior.
I am thinking you may be correct. But, I wonder if there is a set remote start temperature or it uses the temperature setting to which the climate control system is set. The owners manual states that "The climate control system will use the previous settings during a remote start. The rear defog may come on during remote start based on cold ambient conditions. The rear defog indicator light does not come on during remote start." (section 2-7 in the 2014 Spark EV Owners Manual).

MrDRMorgan said:
I am thinking you may be correct. But, I wonder if there is a set remote start temperature or it uses the temperature setting to which the climate control system is set. The owners manual states that "The climate control system will use the previous settings during a remote start. The rear defog may come on during remote start based on cold ambient conditions. The rear defog indicator light does not come on during remote start." (section 2-7 in the 2014 Spark EV Owners Manual).

Although anecdotal, I seem to recall noticing a difference in getting into my car after remote start when 1) I last left the heater @ 80 F vs 2) I last left the heater @ 60 F. Both at around the same ambient temperature.

tehjosheh said:
MrDRMorgan said:

Although anecdotal, I seem to recall noticing a difference in getting into my car after remote start when 1) I last left the heater @ 80 F vs 2) I last left the heater @ 60 F. Both at around the same ambient temperature.
I just tried the remote start. I turned off the climate control system, powered off the car and locked it. Then I initiated the remote start and sure enough, it still turned on although no lights illuminated. I did not re-adjust my temperature from 73 deg. F so it probably would have heated the car. I am thinking the same thing for a hot summer - it turns on the AC to cool the cabin down. Interesting!

I've noticed that having the seat heater on when preheating does not seem to do a lot.

It's as if the heating elements are deep inside the padding, or the seat preheats less than when in actual use. I find that after 20 minute pre-heat the seat is not really very warm at all when you first get in (@40F), but once you start the car it reaches its normal excessively hot temperature after a few minutes of driving.

Anyone know if the seat heater temp can be adjusted down?

EldRitch said:
I've noticed that having the seat heater on when preheating does not seem to do a lot. ...
I agree. I wonder if pressing that seat heat button really does anything when exiting the car the night before.
It is an 'aggressive' seat heater, I agree also. Maybe it was thought without a tush to transfer heat too it might hurt something... :lol:

to my original point, yesterday i sat in the car with it on and all AC controls off. Cabin air temp was set to near ambient (60 degrees). I turned the cabin temp to 80 degrees (without turning on any AC controls) and definitely heard a noise.

This leads me to believe that even if all AC controls are off, if your cabin temp is set to high (~80 F+), the car is wasting energy so it behooves your range to keep it at near ambient even if you are not operating the AC.

tehjosheh said:
to my original point, yesterday i sat in the car with it on and all AC controls off. Cabin air temp was set to near ambient (60 degrees). I turned the cabin temp to 80 degrees (without turning on any AC controls) and definitely heard a noise.

This leads me to believe that even if all AC controls are off, if your cabin temp is set to high (~80 F+), the car is wasting energy so it behooves your range to keep it at near ambient even if you are not operating the AC.

Interesting. I had always believed that if the AC button is off, it doesn't matter what the temperature is set at.

tehjosheh said:
Interesting. Is it repeatable?
The main 'Climate Control' page (or whatever it's called) has a percentage display. Does it show anything? (The power/regen on the main display shows climate control usage, but you have to be at a stop to get it accurately.)
Is this the percentage of available power to the Climate Control system, with the Max being 6kW at full heat?

NORTON said:
Interesting. Is it repeatable?
The main 'Climate Control' page (or whatever it's called) has a percentage display. Does it show anything? (The power/regen on the main display shows climate control usage, but you have to be at a stop to get it accurately.)
Is this the percentage of available power to the Climate Control system, with the Max being 6kW at full heat?

This has been fully repeatable (for me). Would love for others to test this as well.

Checked today and does not show up in climate control % or in the kw used next to the speedometer. It behaves very much like the heated seats (which don't show up in my climate control % or in the kw used either).

The only way I can see its effect are in the mi/kwh display and having my range diminish quickly on a known path.

tehjosheh said:
...The only way I can see its effect are in the mi/kwh display and having my range diminish quickly on a known path.
Maybe you're just experiencing WINTER.
If power is being used by the cabin coolant heater element wouldn't the air coming out of the vents be at least slightly warmer than outside air?
Although that coolant pump would need to be running to bring the warm coolant into the cabin heater core. Without coolant flow bad things might happen.
Can you tell if that is happening?

I believe the cabin coolant heater is located on top of the drive unit. I can test that with the touch test.

Back