Chris101

Re: Is anyone else experiencing brake issues [failure]?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am

oh good.. I was wondering how you got a CPO without a bumper to bumper so glad to hear it didn't cost you anything.

IllinoisSpark15

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Chris101 wrote:oh good.. I was wondering how you got a CPO without a bumper to bumper so glad to hear it didn't cost you anything.
Yes, I caught a break with that. They totally mistook my warranty period when I first brought the car in for service. Then corrected their error after some discussions with me about how the vehicle was bought at a dealership. So I get a 12 month/12K miles BtoB warranty.

NORTON

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:03 am

IllinoisSpark15 wrote:...I've driven the vehicle approximated 50 miles since receiving the it back, and have had no further issues. One difference I have noticed is that while applying brake pressure at low speed, (i.e. backing out of a parking space and applying brakes before placing vehicle into Drive) I have noticed the brakes are less aggressive in it's grabbing power. The pedal feel hasn't changed, just the way the vehicle's brakes react ....
Something to consider is doing one semi-hard stop from ~60mph in N. This would be a Friction Brake Only Stop (no regen) and it would warm up the disc and knock off any 'crud/glaze'...(the racers call it 'Bedding In the pads'.)

This is just a wildazz theory. Who knows if you could feel any difference in normal brake functions, but it does assure the brake pads and discs get to do their job at least once (the way a gasser car treats the brakes all the time.) :lol:

OH, and Congratulation on not getting hit with a Gigantic Repair Bill !!!!!!!!
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +71 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

Chris101

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:51 am

^ He might also need to bleed the brake fluid.. who knows if bubbles got into the system with swapping out parts.. so that would be the dealer's responsibility to address if they caused a new issue.

IllinoisSpark15

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 am

The dealer explained that the brake fluid was also changed after the part was replaced. Which, I was told by the service tech, is part of the regularly scheduled maintenance anyway at every 2 years/30K miles, whichever is first.

Chris101

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:34 am

IllinoisSpark15 wrote:The dealer explained that the brake fluid was also changed after the part was replaced. Which, I was told by the service tech, is part of the regularly scheduled maintenance anyway at every 2 years/30K miles, whichever is first.
that's good to know because I have a CPO car too with free maintenance I believe and wonder if I can get a free brake fluid change as well? I'll have to call and ask now :)

NORTON

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 am

Chris101 wrote:
IllinoisSpark15 wrote:The dealer explained that the brake fluid was also changed after the part was replaced. Which, I was told by the service tech, is part of the regularly scheduled maintenance anyway at every 2 years/30K miles, whichever is first.
that's good to know because I have a CPO car too with free maintenance I believe and wonder if I can get a free brake fluid change as well? I'll have to call and ask now :)
I tried to get this done before the warranty period, but was given some story....
I hope you can get it done on your service plan. Let us know!

The interesting thing is no other GM vehicles have this service item listed so soon. I suspect it's a left over from the Daewoo days.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +71 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

IllinoisSpark15

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 am

Found this

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oz-6UG ... p=drivesdk :x

It's interesting how the passenger compartment air filter should be replaced every 2 years. That sounds early, like the brake fluid. I'm willing to bet the one in my vehicle hasn't yet been changed. I had better get on that.

Chris101

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 pm

My guess is I'll be told it should have already been changed by the PO and my 'free maintenance' is only 1 year I think (I need to double check on that though).

My cabin air filter did look brand new though.

Either way I'm going to call and see if I get a free brake fluid flush as part of the maintenance CPO or not. I have my doubts since its a 1 year thing IIRC. ...and its supposed to be for tire rotations and 'oil changes' I was told haha

twinsemi

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:04 am

I got my Spark back from the dealer on Thursday. It took the dealer 31 days to fix it. They first determined that the BPMV was at fault. That was out of stock locally and it took about two weeks to get it. When they test drove the car after replacing it, the same problem recurred. (ESC failure followed by pwr brakes being disabled) They did some additional testing and told me that the pressure from the master cylinder was too low. So they ordered a new master cyl. That took almost two more weeks to get.

While I was waiting for them to fix the car, I had the time to look up the problem with other GM vehicles. Chevy Tahoe and Chevy Volts both use the same type of module made by TRW. First used in the 2009 Tahoe, and yes there are reports of the same type of problem going way back. One owner said the dealer had fixed the problem by replacing the wheel sensors and cleaning the chopper disk. I suggested this to the service writer, and he was non-comittal.

So they told me the car was going to be ready last Monday with the new master cylinder, but it took another three days. Maybe the mechanic was out sick. Maybe some other delay. I have my suspicions that they found the same problem after replacing the master cylinder and then decided to replace the wheel sensors as I had suggested. Of course, if they did that, they could not do that under warranty because it wouldn't be by the book. The SW was very polite and apologized for the long delay. As a backup plan, I bought front wheel sensors off eBay for $10 each. So I am prepared when this happens after my warranty expires in another 4100 miles.

And it seems I have the same reaction as Illinois. My braking effort seems higher at final stop now, but that may be just an adjustment after driving a loaner Cruze for 1400 miles.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”