firefox2026

Re: Is anyone else experiencing brake issues [failure]?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm

OK I need to enlist anyone who has had brake problems on their Spark EVs.. So they are telling me that the break pressure modulator valve (that was replaced under 2 years ago under warranty was incorrectly installed. Apparently the 4 bolts that connect the electronic brake control module to it were loose. So my extended warranty won't cover faulty workmanship so I am up for the bill. We tried to call GM customer care to complain about it since it was their fault originally. The service manager is telling me their work is only warranted for 1 year so I am out of luck, but then a friend told me they were told it was 2 years so I am confused.

However, I also a bit concerned that they have spec'ed bolts to be tightened to 27 in-pounds which doesn't seem like a lot to begin with. I did find something that said "hand tight" is about 15 to 20 in-pounds but its hard to tell if that depends on the size of the bolt. If that is true it isn't being required to be tightened much past hand tight in the first place. So if the control module is loose it could cause weird codes to come up because it isn't grounded well etc. and air can leak into the brake system and cause problems. I am curious if anyone who has had trouble if they could check and see if those bolts on the brake control module are loose first. I'm going to get a low setting torque wrench and see if I can find a bolt that might be about the same size and get an idea of how tight 27 in-pounds really is.

firefox2026

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:50 pm

I ended up deciding to call my friend who is a mechanical engineer. He says the torque depends on the size of the bolt so I have to figure out how big the bolt is if I can.

SparkE

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:32 am

I suggest going to the dealership that did the work and talk to a manager. Try to convince him (or her) that the work was not done properly, and that THEY should be responsible for the repairs.

When they say "no way", start talking about twitter and facebook and yelp - they won't want to see you tell a TRUE story about how THEY did bad work and you had to have it fixed again in less than 2 years? That *you* will never take another vehicle to them for service (which is where they make a BOATLOAD of money) and will never purchase a vehicle from them. And you will repeat the post every month for a while.

They might come around and offer to help you with the cost.

firefox2026

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Well that would be a good plan if the work wasn't done in California and I live in Colorado.. :(

Also the dealership in Colorado did offer a reduce bill for the repairs, but I think GM should have done something. I will be making some noise on the internet about this if they don't.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”