question about starting the spark with key??

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

stupid question coming: the owners manual says you have to have the key in the car to start it with the power button. does it go into some slot like a regulat ignition switch on a ice car or do you just have to have it in your pocket so the car detects it.. the owners manual shows the fob has a actual key that pops out when u press the top button.

You just need to have it in your pocket (in fact, I am not even sure if it turns if you put it in the ignition). No idea why they have the real key pop out like that (especially because happens frequently by accident).

so there is a actual ignition slot. if so why is there a slot if it doesnt turn or have to be in the slot to press the start/power button. im confused

evboy said:
so there is a actual ignition slot. if so why is there a slot if it doesnt turn or have to be in the slot to press the start/power button. im confused

I couldn't say-- maybe if the battery is dead on the keychain?

how do you avoid someone stealing it. lets say you leave the door unlocked and go into a walgreens, could someone hop in press the power button and drive off since the key(your pocket) is within say 50 to 75 feet of the car.

Homer said:
You just need to have it in your pocket (in fact, I am not even sure if it turns if you put it in the ignition). No idea why they have the real key pop out like that (especially because happens frequently by accident).
Per the owner's manual, the "key" does not turn. It is used just to correctly position the FOB for reprogramming.

if i leave my windows down in the summer in Vegas when its 110 and go into my apartment, is there any way a thief could go through the window and push the power button and get it to start if the fob is on my dresser. the car is outside close to my door. what do you guys think. be safe and lock everytime. i would like to cool the cabin as much as possible by leaving the windows down.

evboy said:
if i leave my windows down in the summer in Vegas when its 110 and go into my apartment, is there any way a thief could go through the window and push the power button and get it to start if the fob is on my dresser. the car is outside close to my door. what do you guys think. be safe and lock everytime. i would like to cool the cabin as much as possible by leaving the windows down.

The key has to be inside the car or very close to the car (few feet) for it to start. If you're worried, try starting it with the keys inside your apartment.

CCIE said:
evboy said:

The key has to be inside the car or very close to the car (few feet) for it to start. If you're worried, try starting it with the keys inside your apartment.
i plan on it. i just dont have the car yet. i was hoping it was tried by a few people on the forum. im still a little paranoid about leaving the windows down. with my luck the thief will press it and it will work that one out of a hundred.
whats your opinion on vey dark tints. its hard to see when you back up but it might keep the battery cooler in 110 heat.

Like other cars I've had with pushbutton start, the Spark is smart enough to know if the fob is inside or outside of the car. I can't even turn it on standing outside, I have to get in to the car (or toss the fob on to the seat). However, just on general principles I would never leave a car on the street with the windows open, That's just asking for mischief to occur.

evboy said:
...whats your opinion on vey dark tints. its hard to see when you back up but it might keep the battery cooler in 110 heat.
Dark tints are a handicap at night, and unsafe, imo. Some states have limits.
The battery is not in the cabin of the car. It is below it in an insulated container.

Even when my keys were in my work bag under a tablet on the passenger seat and I go to power it on, it'll say key not found/within distance, etc. So the proximity of the key to ignition button must be very close and unobstructed.

Owner's manual, P.31-32:
Starting the Vehicle with a Low Transmitter Battery
If the transmitter battery is weak or there is interference with the signal, the DIC may display NO REMOTE DETECTED or PLACE KEY IN TRANSMITTER POCKET when you try to start the vehicle. The REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY message may also display at this time.

To start the vehicle:
1. Remove the rubber cap on the steering column.
2. Extend the key blade and place the blade into the slot.
3. With the vehicle in P (Park) or N (Neutral), press the brake pedal and POWER on the center stack.

The key has to be in close proximity inside the car to allow the car to power up when pushing the Power On button - As for tinting windows, they won't benefit the battery pack.

bnc

evboy said:
whats your opinion on vey dark tints. its hard to see when you back up but it might keep the battery cooler in 110 heat.
Should you ever get pulled over by the cops, having dark tinted windows is a great way to make the officer very nervous when he approaches as he can't see what you are doing. Do you really want to deal with a nervous cop?
And, as others have said, it will do nothing to keep the battery pack cool.

Back