2014 sparke collector car?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

less than 2000 2014 sparks were sold. what r the chances it becomes a collector car.

If it turns out to be the most efficient car in history and no other can beat it for next 8+ years, it could be a collector's car. But technology marches on, and I'm sure there will be more efficient cars some day.

SparkevBlogspot said:
If it turns out to be the most efficient car in history and no other can beat it for next 8+ years, it could be a collector's car. But technology marches on, and I'm sure there will be more efficient cars some day.
but not as fun:)

There's no reason why there couldn't be something more efficient and even more fun. No one dreamed even 5 years ago that quickest car in the world that cost under $20K would be the most efficient car in history. Generally, about a decade of dominance is enough to get it noticed, so we'll see in next 8-10 years. If GM revives SparkEV with more aero shell while keeping other things the same (bigger capacity battery, same weight), that could be just as fun but even more efficient.

Um, I pretty sure people don't collect cars for their "efficiency", however defined, and no-one would collect a Spark EV for its butt-heavy handling.
If GM does anything in the sporty electric direction, they would use the Bolt platform, not the Spark, as it is much more highly developed. Chevy management has hinted that the Bolt hardware will be used in other configurations.

It'll be an interesting footnote in 20 years since it was the first production BEV sold by GM. I don't count the EV1 which was never sold and was really just a test fleet in consumer hands. But, the Spark EV will always be an electrified S-Box in most people's eyes, which doesn't have the cool factor needed to become collectible.

I have a Volvo 1800E which was a sport coupe made in very limited numbers from 1961-72. It at least looks interesting, but it's not particularly colectable. Scarcity is only one component of collectibility.

SparkevBlogspot said:
There's no reason why there couldn't be something more efficient and even more fun. No one dreamed even 5 years ago that quickest car in the world that cost under $20K would be the most efficient car in history. Generally, about a decade of dominance is enough to get it noticed, so we'll see in next 8-10 years. If GM revives SparkEV with more aero shell while keeping other things the same (bigger capacity battery, same weight), that could be just as fun but even more efficient.
what car r u talking about

CCIE said:
It'll be an interesting footnote in 20 years since it was the first production BEV sold by GM. I don't count the EV1 which was never sold and was really just a test fleet in consumer hands. But, the Spark EV will always be an electrified S-Box in most people's eyes, which doesn't have the cool factor needed to become collectible.

I have a Volvo 1800E which was a sport coupe made in very limited numbers from 1961-72. It at least looks interesting, but it's not particularly colectable. Scarcity is only one component of collectibility.
whats a sbox. i googled it and came up with nothing?
u could have bought a ferrari 250 in the 60's and u bought a volvo. what were u thinking.

i was considering buying this car as a collectible and great gas mileage. whatcha think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_JrBA_QFI&t=1s

go to the 58 second mark and see if you can go without laughing your ass off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-O5i1zeXXQ

evboy said:
CCIE said:
I think the S is supposed to refer to a common four letter expletive. :)

Funny enough, the OP had previously started a thread on this: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4234&hilit=collectible. And there's another: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4034&hilit=collectible.

cwerdna said:
evboy said:
CCIE said:
I think the S is supposed to refer to a common four letter expletive. :)

Funny enough, the OP had previously started a thread on this: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4234&hilit=collectible. And there's another: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4034&hilit=collectible.
now that i own one, i think it should have huge demand. i guess im biased and think it should be. im going to keep posting about it until it becomes one. I read a article that the Scion FRS will be a collector car in the future. is nice looking but only a 4banger. i bet the sparkev wins a race with it.

FRS probably not.

But SparkEV does have few redeeming qualities, such as first GM EV for public, quickest among its peers, quickest charging in C-rating, most efficient car in the world, and so on. Just one point may not warrant collector status, but there are many bits that add up. It won't guarantee anything, but if you had to pick a collector's car in 2010 to 2016 after 50 years, SparkEV would be in short list along with Tesla. Being a sleeper might actually make it more desirable. What other car would you consider?

evboy said:
CCIE said:

u could have bought a ferrari 250 in the 60's and u bought a volvo. what were u thinking.

S-Box = Sh*t-Box. I wasn't alive in the 60s to buy anything. I bought the Volvo when I was young as a project car with my dad. If you know any beat up Ferrari's for sale for $500, let me know.

Back to the original topic: the Spark EV will never be collectible. It's a fun little car, but that's it.

SparkevBlogspot said:
FRS probably not.

But SparkEV does have few redeeming qualities, such as first GM EV for public, quickest among its peers, quickest charging in C-rating, most efficient car in the world, and so on. Just one point may not warrant collector status, but there are many bits that add up. It won't guarantee anything, but if you had to pick a collector's car in 2010 to 2016 after 50 years, SparkEV would be in short list along with Tesla. Being a sleeper might actually make it more desirable. What other car would you consider?

there r way too many teslas i would think to be a collectible. 2014 spark ev less than 2k. the plymouth prowler which i love was over 11k production and i never see any on the road. our 2014 sparkev is even more rare.

While there are some cars that are almost guaranteed to become collector cars, some others are far more difficult to predict. Many of the odd ones that make collector status are cars that gain 'cult' followings like VW Beetles, early Jeeps, CRXs, and Datsun 510s. How many people would've guessed that a failure like the AMC pacer would become a collector car? Perhaps the Pacers, Gremlins, and Corvairs made collector status because they are odd and frequently makes the lists of worst cars ever made?
Its not over until the last one is crushed.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/autos/1202/gallery.surprising-collectible-cars/8.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/the-12-worst-cars-ever-built/article4392663/?page=all

...first GM EV for public, quickest among its peers, quickest charging in C-rating, most efficient car in the world, and so on.
None of those transient attributes contribute to collectability. If you want a collectable car, buy something with OEM flared fenders.

that Hawk is a nice looking car. no surprise from me. the pacer is awful. i knew a guy in high school that had one. we made fun of it everyday.

Back