Noises at shut down

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVSpark

Hello, new spark ev owner here. I have a question.

When I turn the car off, I hear a thump and a gurgling (liquid and bubbles) noise. I think the thump is the battery being disconnected and I think the gurgling is the ac. In Vegas, it's 100F already, so the ac is in full use during a drive. The battery conditioning is at 0%, so I don't think that's it. Are these noises normal?

I don't remember exactly where I read this, but if the climate control is on for the cabin, and the battery also needs cooling/heating, everything just gets lumped into the cabin metric. Only way battery conditioning shows up is if you have the cabin controls off and the battery needs heat or cooling. Now where did I see that... :)

LVSpark said:
Hello, new spark ev owner here. I have a question.

When I turn the car off, I hear a thump and a gurgling (liquid and bubbles) noise. I think the thump is the battery being disconnected and I think the gurgling is the ac. In Vegas, it's 100F already, so the ac is in full use during a drive. The battery conditioning is at 0%, so I don't think that's it. Are these noises normal?

hi! yes that's totally normal; mine makes all sorts of 'glug glug glug' and whirring noises after shutting down; that is the cooling system continuing to circulate after the fact.

The noises are absolutely normal. What's really interesting is to be working in the garage when the car is plugged in and charging. Every so often you can hear pumping and other noises, they're good noises as the Spark's thermal management keeps the battery young longer.

emv said:
.... they're good noises as the Spark's thermal management keeps the battery young longer.
Too True !!

You don't get that with the most popular BEV, and other chitty EV's!

I do notice some noises in my car also. Mostly I think it's the suspension and the steering. Since the car is so quiet when stopped, I can hear the power steering working when I am turning out of a parking spot.

JeremyW said:
I don't remember exactly where I read this, but if the climate control is on for the cabin, and the battery also needs cooling/heating, everything just gets lumped into the cabin metric. Only way battery conditioning shows up is if you have the cabin controls off and the battery needs heat or cooling. Now where did I see that... :)

In my 15, I see percentages for both cabin and battery conditioning on my energy use screen quite frequently. This past weekend is saw it both days, and I haven't turned off the AC for a couple weeks now.

Back