Hood replacement

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawl

Been awhile since I've hung out here, and have overall really been enjoying my SparkEV (bought mine January 1, 2015). Some time back I had a tree limb fall on the hood and dent it some—not so bad that I couldn't live with it for a while. When I first checked, I could find no replacement parts (the repair was bid at $750+), I was thinking that there would eventually be some that were in accidents (rear enders, for example) that would spare the hood and I might find one to more cheaply replace.

I assume that the hoods for the regular Sparks are far different, but when I checked the site car-part.com it didn't even list the EV to search for parts.

Question: Does anyone have any ideas on where to find replacement parts for this vehicle? I have the light blue version, not that that makes any difference, but I was told that in repairing it they would not assure me the color would be an exact match (so even more reason I'd like to find a hood in the original color, intact, from a pick-apart vehicle).

Thanks everyone. Hope you all are enjoying yours as much as I do mine.

Paul

Hood should be the same on gas version and you could look for one in blue so you wouldn't have to paint it. It is true that color matching might not be perfect but should be close as cars aren't that old yet.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure that the two versions are the same. At any rate the colors aren't, so I'll need to find the hood in the elec version (to match the same light blue).

Would swapping out the Spark EV hood with a carbon fiber hood help to increase mileage?

Not much. The hood is so small that I doubt you'd save much weight (which is where the savings would come from). On a cavelike, the weight savings is only 25 pounds, and that hood is much bigger.

Not that anyone else is interested, but:

I've learned so far that it's difficult to find the right hood in the right color. And shipping will add about $250. Plenty of hoods out there, across the country, ranging from $100-300, in various colors including blue, but rarely specifying EV (which would be the only way to confirm the correct shade of blue), and when they do they generally don't know the difference. So I think I'll need to simply keep checking with the two or three used car parts aggregator sites and look for one in my area of SoCal (where I would be able to pick up).

I did manage to find a replacement hood, but in grey, not the original light opalescent blue. Anyone know if this color might still be available to paint the hood (take it to a Chevy dealer body shop)?

We purchased blue Spark ev touch up paint from the dealer. We had to provide the vin number to get an exact match. Maybe a color code for the paint shop can be obtained same way.

Joe M in WV.

Back