Possible to hack the Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncerna

Does anyone know if it is possible to hack the Spark EV?
I know there are companies that create custom tunes for muscle cars, so that you can get more HP or MPG.
Is there a way to tune a Spark EV?

It would be cool if someone with programming skills could modify the car.
Like maybe add a deep exhaust sound effect whenever you press the gas pedal.

It is technically possible to hack any software. That being said, it may very well be illegal to do so to a modern car without permission from or a tool supplied by the manufacturer (at least in the US).

John Deere has been using the DMCA to prevent non-authorized repair of their tractors for quite some time. In 2015, Congress updated DMCA to allow the circumvention of copyright protection on software, by the owner, for the purpose of equipment repair or modification. However, the changes did not allow that ability to be transferred to say a repair shop.

So currently, until the law changes or somebody goes to court, you could circumvent copyright protection to modify your own car, but you could not do it for somebody.

I have no idea if there are any tunable aspects through the OBDII port. If there are, those would be available to a repair shop, but if they had to alter the software it would likely be illegal on anything but their own cars.

String pot connected to the Go pedal. Sound file on a phone or tablet with variable volume and RPM sound controllable with external pot, Big Ass sound system, and Bob's your Uncle. :lol:
No hacking required! :!:

NORTON said:
String pot connected to the Go pedal. Sound file on a phone or tablet with variable volume and RPM sound controllable with external pot, Big Ass sound system, and Bob's your Uncle. :lol:
No hacking required! :!:

True! I suppose one could connect a Sound Sampling device that has pressure sensitivity. Like what they use for electronic drums. The exhaust sound effect could sound different depending on how hard you press the pedal.

I tried the app. It's really cool! :D

I tried it out during the commute home. It seems to work. Although I'll have to play with the settings in order to find one that is more responsive.

Back