So I bought a Volt...what I think so far....

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzzzzz

It's a 2013 with leather and black center console. Picked it up about a week ago. Passing emissions was no problem and I’ve already installed 20% window tint, all the way around. So far, what I think about it (mostly gripes):

• Not as battery efficient – This morning was the first time commuting in the Volt, and I got 26.2 miles out of 6.2 kWh, which gives me a paltry 4.22 miles per kWh. On the same route, in the Spark EV I’ve been getting easily 6.8 or 7.0 miles per kWh in the summer (now have over 20k miles on it). Going uphill from the tunnel on 26 up to the 217 I used “mountain” mode and used 0.13 gallons for 5.9 miles. Efficiency is definitely affected by having wider tires and the car’s weight, and I also noticed the Volt did not regen as much when going downhill or braking. I’ll have to look into getting some skinnier tires (if we’re going to keep the car for long).

• Interior – Although nice with a lot of amenities, it just feels cramp, maybe because it’s all black inside? I also really detest all the control buttons on the center console. The layout is way too complicated. It takes 3 buttons presses to do anything. Want to turn off Climate Control? No dedicated button or knob; and the only way I found I can do that is pressing the decrease fan button until off. Want to go to change the radio station? Pick either pressing the scan button or navigate through the touch screen (first have to go to radio, then some other menus, then pick your favorites). Maybe I’m just nitpicking, but I’m already feeling aggravated just by trying to describe the center console usability.

• 12 volt auxiliary port – This port is located on top of the dash under a console lid. Why would Chevrolet ever put that there?? It’s aesthetically horrific looking; plugging in your phone’s USB cable and have the wire routed from the top just looks bad.

• Opening the charge lid – You can’t just press the lid on the outside like the Spark. You have to remember to press and hold a charge lid release button located on the inside of the driver door. I wished the same button will close the lid also, because twice already I’ve forgotten to close the lid after unplugging. Different sequences for basically doing the same thing is very annoying.

• Lane keep assist and collision warning – Why do they call these safety measures? So you can turn them off and on manually, and for me, when turned on, they just startle the crap out of me. Also annoying is whenever you have rear passengers, the moment they unbuckle their seatbelts, you also get a chime/warning that they did. Very startling while driving. I’ve never had a car warn me the rear passengers are unbuckled.

• Shifter – Big and clunky and very hard to switch from D to L. I switch all the time in the Spark when going downhill or coming up to a stop to maximize regen. In the Volt, I have to pay more attention when I do to make sure I don’t strong arm it when switching.

• Drivability – Definitely feels a lot more planted and stable then the Spark and cabin noise is very quiet like a Lexus. However that stability also means it doesn’t feel as nimble as the Spark.

• ICE engagement – Never once did I hear or feel the gas engine turn on when it did when we drove it home from Bremerton Washington to Portland Oregon. Very seamless. I’ve own 3 Prius and a 2012 Camry Hybrid and you definitely know when the ICE is on. Probably because the “gas extender” on the Volt is so small? I’ll figure out the details on this Volt soon enough! 

I guess what I do like is the leather interior and the exterior looks. Looks sporty with low stance for a factory car. However, there may be enough gripes that we may have to rethink about keeping the car long term.

zzzzzzzz said:
It's a 2013 with leather and black center console. Picked it up about a week ago. Passing emissions was no problem and I’ve already installed 20% window tint, all the way around. So far, what I think about it (mostly gripes):

I had a 2013 lease for three years and now have a 2017, as well as a spark, so I will comment.

zzzzzzzz said:
• Not as battery efficient – This morning was the first time commuting in the Volt, and I got 26.2 miles out of 6.2 kWh, which gives me a paltry 4.22 miles per kWh. On the same route, in the Spark EV I’ve been getting easily 6.8 or 7.0 miles per kWh in the summer (now have over 20k miles on it). Going uphill from the tunnel on 26 up to the 217 I used “mountain” mode and used 0.13 gallons for 5.9 miles. Efficiency is definitely affected by having wider tires and the car’s weight, and I also noticed the Volt did not regen as much when going downhill or braking. I’ll have to look into getting some skinnier tires (if we’re going to keep the car for long).
Well fairly obvious and nothing to be surprised off :)

zzzzzzzz said:
• Interior – Although nice with a lot of amenities, it just feels cramp, maybe because it’s all black inside? I also really detest all the control buttons on the center console. The layout is way too complicated. It takes 3 buttons presses to do anything. Want to turn off Climate Control? No dedicated button or knob; and the only way I found I can do that is pressing the decrease fan button until off. Want to go to change the radio station? Pick either pressing the scan button or navigate through the touch screen (first have to go to radio, then some other menus, then pick your favorites). Maybe I’m just nitpicking, but I’m already feeling aggravated just by trying to describe the center console usability.
Control buttons where a gripe on the 2013 and have been fixed in the 2016/2017 model.

zzzzzzzz said:
• 12 volt auxiliary port – This port is located on top of the dash under a console lid. Why would Chevrolet ever put that there?? It’s aesthetically horrific looking; plugging in your phone’s USB cable and have the wire routed from the top just looks bad.
Agreed not great but you also have one in the arm rest console if I remember well. This is also fixed in the 2016/2017.

zzzzzzzz said:
• Opening the charge lid – You can’t just press the lid on the outside like the Spark. You have to remember to press and hold a charge lid release button located on the inside of the driver door. I wished the same button will close the lid also, because twice already I’ve forgotten to close the lid after unplugging. Different sequences for basically doing the same thing is very annoying.
Totally agreed, it was unnecessary and made charging at night needlessly complicated. This was also fixed in the 2016/2017 model.

zzzzzzzz said:
• Lane keep assist and collision warning – Why do they call these safety measures? So you can turn them off and on manually, and for me, when turned on, they just startle the crap out of me. Also annoying is whenever you have rear passengers, the moment they unbuckle their seatbelts, you also get a chime/warning that they did. Very startling while driving. I’ve never had a car warn me the rear passengers are unbuckled.
Well this is kind of the point :) If you are about to hit someone you do want to be startled ...
I did not have lane keep assist on the 2013, but I do on the 2017, and it only triggers if I am switching lane without putting on my turn signal, Which again is a good thing :)

zzzzzzzz said:
• Shifter – Big and clunky and very hard to switch from D to L. I switch all the time in the Spark when going downhill or coming up to a stop to maximize regen. In the Volt, I have to pay more attention when I do to make sure I don’t strong arm it when switching.
Had no problem with that on the 2013. But I also find it a lot easier and more comfortable to drive in L all the time. My foot got use to controlling the lift precisely, so I can enjoy one pedal driving.

zzzzzzzz said:
• Drivability – Definitely feels a lot more planted and stable then the Spark and cabin noise is very quiet like a Lexus. However that stability also means it doesn’t feel as nimble as the Spark.
Again, obvious and nothing to be surprised of :)

zzzzzzzz said:
• ICE engagement – Never once did I hear or feel the gas engine turn on when it did when we drove it home from Bremerton Washington to Portland Oregon. Very seamless. I’ve own 3 Prius and a 2012 Camry Hybrid and you definitely know when the ICE is on. Probably because the “gas extender” on the Volt is so small? I’ll figure out the details on this Volt soon enough! 
Ice transition is extremely well done, and the engine is not that small, given it can provide full power.

Coming from the Spark I can understand these little things get noticed, but after a while you wont even notice, and the Volt is in its own size as enjoyable as the Spark.
If you cant get use to them, consider a 2016.

Thanks Scrambler for the feedback. A big reason to getting the Volt was to have a car that will go longer distances while having a more comfortable ride, and I found this 2013 for just 12k, which was another big reason as it was fairly inexpensive. I think a 2016/2017 will be overkill for a seldom used car. Plus, I kind of prefer the 1st generation exterior; seems more unique looking, kind of a “back to the future” delorean look. :) We’ll see how it goes in the next few months.

One caveat to getting the Volt was for me to sell my Miata to make room in the garage for it. But if we’re going to just sell it, I’ll just keep my Miata. :)

zzzzzzzz said:
Plus, I kind of prefer the 1st generation exterior; seems more unique looking, kind of a “back to the future” delorean look. :)
I have to agree, I did like the sculpted shape of the Gen1 better :)

Enjoy the car

scrambler said:
zzzzzzzz said:

I had a 2013 lease for three years and now have a 2017, as well as a spark, so I will comment.

zzzzzzzz said:
Well fairly obvious and nothing to be surprised off :)

zzzzzzzz said:
Control buttons where a gripe on the 2013 and have been fixed in the 2016/2017 model.

zzzzzzzz said:
Agreed not great but you also have one in the arm rest console if I remember well. This is also fixed in the 2016/2017.

zzzzzzzz said:
Totally agreed, it was unnecessary and made charging at night needlessly complicated. This was also fixed in the 2016/2017 model.

zzzzzzzz said:
Well this is kind of the point :) If you are about to hit someone you do want to be startled ...
I did not have lane keep assist on the 2013, but I do on the 2017, and it only triggers if I am switching lane without putting on my turn signal, Which again is a good thing :)

zzzzzzzz said:
Had no problem with that on the 2013. But I also find it a lot easier and more comfortable to drive in L all the time. My foot got use to controlling the lift precisely, so I can enjoy one pedal driving.

zzzzzzzz said:
Again, obvious and nothing to be surprised of :)

zzzzzzzz said:
Ice transition is extremely well done, and the engine is not that small, given it can provide full power.

Coming from the Spark I can understand these little things get noticed, but after a while you wont even notice, and the Volt is in its own size as enjoyable as the Spark.
If you cant get use to them, consider a 2016.

Agree on all since I have both as well. They got rid of the push button charge door release in 2014 I believe was the first year...it works just like the Spark does on my 14.

They both have their little things that could be improved on. But I must admit driving the EV Spark is a fun little ride! Surprisingly quick and would stomp a mudhole in the Volt from a roll at any speed lol. Chirping the tires at 40mph cracks me up!

Back