Brake Lamp Replacements

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncerna

I recently replaced my headlights with LED lamps. And I am very happy with the results.
Has anyone replaced their brake lamps with LED's? They sell white LED's and red LED's.
Since the brake lamp cover is red, would it make a difference what lamp color I choose?

It would be better to use red LEDs as the lens would absorb most of the light wavelengths being emitted if you went with white LEDs. It doesn't matter as much with incandescent bulbs because their lumen output is generally higher and makes up for the light absorption.

JPL said:
ncerna said:
I recently replaced my headlights with LED lamps. And I am very happy with the results.

Please tell me the brand and model of the replacements

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SI1TD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are awesome lamps. Very easy to install. Took about 10 mins. They fit perfectly inside the headlight assembly.
The light produced is a very clear white, but not so bright that you have to worry about it blinding anyone.
No flickering. So far they have worked perfectly. They have made my car look more modern.

ncerna said:
Yep, you are 'happy'. What about the oncoming traffic? :?:
H13's are a strange lamp and headlight assembly. They require precise filament placement for a proper Lo beam/Hi beam patterns. LED's can't do that.

Post some pics of 'garage door' light patterns with the stock vs. the LED replacements. Please...

If you drive much at night, you've seen these ahols with gadawful LED "direct replacements' that are blinding and unsafe.

I installed https://www.amazon.com/Simdevanma-H...pons&keywords=Simdevanma+LED+Headlights&psc=1
a couple days ago. First day driving with them i had dramatically decreased range, but maybe due to the cold front than moved in and the headwind I was fighting. Yesterday was better, almost back to usual, at 4.0 miles/kWh.
here a picture with both lights, sorry, no before/after.

v1jVPKoB7wwj47RljH82mvcPr4DZHjtrVU8KCpElLHeNu27B7taY3o0aMhx49QgTCBy0E06ygv29qoJHYQ3NWNiw2p14xKN-zWLVCygJWSyJ6T27ZptKgYXghaM2TYC2q3LZ6RtZ6Fwu46I8-eojjGwSh2E-sf3mapQRHDZUhIbdMAnegU2CB6cC0daRRkB8VAUPg0hzKaNilI2vt3cZi4ElwcyM9XfEWQITk9nZN0uZSfvSSYU4RIrP8kPc5s6qyZHEry4EQ_8wcErPeuGRMpF18-JbOzxBrjnG95dXBMf9ZoUAiFhf6P26A02uWhVEMDCuwWUkxfWuinO3T7SGHD3saDna3wGwDx_h1UuzzxFbxY7I35RvO57FuH0m2dHh3s3OoELh_cwG9IwC1ct7FiWqPxzs3dQnhMx2HQ317tw8KT48phswUoI9bA8TlSdQrAUf81eBn3YnHP92UHnv0E9Nsf_9uAZaBWIWMREN8MxkuUy_azpj2ZMAlte8_D3D-2ad_s9nXoIVQ8S3TjOvugd7Cxkar6jP7upiq9RRFFp0nEBWlXiEPotdCfE2X1LgFDO6LjQfaneUefcJG84p-zvUMNjEsjzxYp4pq4Wdnwo=w1326-h994-no

and a bout 20 feet back.(blurry)
guX_TWQEJzSJE5S1v4mb--MqOuGv5pi39v0BI1xwbo_zKQsKBz_t1Eh5AwQglMHNe7jlNa2kjLX966IiUHcEZMB1TWCe6jShYFKr3fRcUnL9nMkot4eI0-N5E1G84EIa2rk8cFlLSqssu_1OjJXsE5JencnP2QINzTmbYgfa3cdUeFkzCy8Nphi7ib8xju5weX1do69v7PzgxEAWz3vQk8LVeYVo0QEJ79kVHQnf9HSl6Fjyzgd4rocBdH6yGsE4jxgHY7z4ezgU7HZMEY_7K2sxqcKI-3QZu1JoxmT1Z-i71hl3AcrjaqLEkKHVeXhJG3IFfoo-6QkiuPSkwQwaex1-Wu06yJVgEatTRKDH6FbQR0kq2xmlVQJcMMjAWcMKJXGPMV0hr0VdhIbLbBYhICz52KTwukj-JryePcLvN0OqA7hNS7Kz3PWwNuTHJJvw8-N5jo7ttvdqP7FW-hMjuxncwEe6c90sd-QNNN-iuNnJ46K3rXna2AaE9_Fa4a4v_b6RYjXCpXcR4Hjzb1Gn4nM0evdiiSNPYfR3paEcfi2dBD-DKK2MzrpJUypv3eCjh_Y8Wj5IdGWmv7Af-GwCNc-Dc1SNH0yX-eziBnnc1-o=w1326-h994-no

I don't see pictures posted. Lots of space where a pic should go and a dash-in-a-circle symbol. Do you see the pics online?

If these are pics of the front of a car with the headlights on,,, well,, they all look the same.

You need to post side by side pics of the stock Lo Beam pattern against a wall versus the new LED Lo Beam pattern.

I tried similar to what you have. The LED elements are a much larger area than the filaments of the stock bulbs.
I'll bet you do not have well defined Lo Beam cutoff patterns. Hi beams are just vague flood/spot lights so they don't matter.

H13 's are strange bulbs. There is no reflector cup within the bulb to create a well defined difference between Lo and Hi beams.

I wish there was an LED with a good Lo Beam pattern.

NORTON said:
ncerna said:
Yep, you are 'happy'. What about the oncoming traffic? :?:

Those are horrible lamps if the picture on Amazon is accurate.
Actually, anything with a Cree emitter is likely to be horrible in a headlamp designed for filament bulbs.

Somebody tried to educate the Cruze forum here, take a look at his pics of horrible H13 bulb replacements and less bad H13 replacements:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/11-gen1-appearance-body-detailing-interior/149562-led-headlight-better-halogens-11.html#post3002386

worst_h13.jpg

better_h13.jpg

well, this looks promising:

"I will say this, Diode Dynamics just announced at SEMA 2017 that their SL (Street Legal) LED headlight bulbs are finally ready to be shipped. The dual filament version dubbed SL2 is coming soon and they have a H13 application. When I spoke to Paul McCain @DD he stated that they have physically tested their bulbs in multiple different headlamps for optical accuracy. When I volunteered an extra Cruze headlamp he said they already had one. So I would hold off on any purchases until these bulbs come out."

Since the seasonal change, I've been driving with my fog lights on to supplement the weak OEM headlights. I should upgrade to higher output Halogens.

No pic still. Need to upload it to a picture hosting site.

ddmtuning.com has the Raptor and Saber style LED bulbs. Both match the stock filament style. I will be trying one of them out soon as the H13 HID kit I got from them failed quickly...they are warrantying it for me.

Picture is in a shared Google Photos album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AkNalNEy3IJ61cag2
I have attempted all the link mods "?.jpg" and the "-tmp.jpg" method.
I see it in this thread but then it is my Google account on my devices...

I recently did all the bulbs I could get access to. Dome, rear trunk, brake, reverse and licence plate lights. The brake and reverse share the same bulb so I swapped the bulbs and it started hyper flashing, I didn't want to splice wires or do anything additional so I left the turn signals alone. I don't see any LED bulbs that are 7443 with pre-installed resistors.

Here are the brake and reverse on. I really like the reverse lights, a bit of over kill but love the white color.
As for the brake lights I tested them before putting everything together they are stupid bright, I think
the red color from the taillight housing lowers the brightness down. They turn on instantaneously when the brake is applied.
VO2Og6N.jpg

Here are the bulbs that I used if anyone is interested, picked them up at Autozone/O'reilly's
921 for the reverse lights and 7443R for the brake lights (make sure its 7443R)
KGWy5xK.jpg

I've just replaced the rear brake lights with the Sylvania LEDs but I could not get the reverse light bulbs out of the sockets without feeling like I would damage them. They seemingly don't just 'twist and pull' like the brake lights did. I thought I saw a discussion about this, but this seems like the correct thread in which to ask. Does anyone have tips for removing and replacing these bulbs?

Back