Insanely high insurance on Spark EV??!@!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamAirDave

I called today to get my Spark EV insured...its the most expensive car we have to insure...what the Hell!!??

More than my Trans Am, more than the Volt (same year) more than a 1500hp street truck and more than my silverado.

Makes no sense..almost half the cost of a Volt and $35/month higher!? They quoted me $98/mo for this car...I am 42 with a perfect driving record, 825+ credit score and no claims. Something seems wrong here to me. this is with the same coverages all the other cars have in our family.

Hell, my 16 year old son only cost us $112/ month !!

This is with State Farm who I have been with my whole life and I am looking at switching if this is the case. We always knew we paid more but this just seems out of line.

Yeah, true. I think it is costing me almost $200 a month to insure my car. (Los Angeles area)
I figure, at that rate, in a few year, I will have paid thousands of dollars to insure a car that wasn't even that expensive to begin with.
I bought my car used for around 10 grand. The insurance laws here in California suck. When insurance is made mandatory, there is no competition, and companies can charge whatever they want.

I only buy liability insurance. progressive was about 450 for 6 months.

NORTON said:
Mama says, "You better shop around. Shop. Shop."

That's ridiculous rates.

I wonder what it will be for a BOLT in the same areas? Many insurance companies are charging by the number of miles driven - some insurance companies ask for this info for each car on the policy and at every policy renewal. Make sure what they have on your policy is correct.

I'm paying $247 for 6 months for both my wife and I, with a $1000 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. Had to get comprehensive since I financed at 0%. :) This is in Portland Oregon and through Geico.

I think the reason why it is costing me so much is because the car has not been paid off yet. The finance company want me to have the full coverage.

zzzzzzzz said:
I'm paying $247 for 6 months for both my wife and I, with a $1000 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. Had to get comprehensive since I financed at 0%. :) This is in Portland Oregon and through Geico.
how the hell am i paying twice what you pay and i have just liability with a clean driving record. Is oregon some super safe driving area compared to vegas.

I pay about $70 month for full coverage on a 2014 Spark EV in Fayetteville, AR. AAA insurance. That'll go down after 6 months, they make you use 15,000 miles per year driving estimate for the first six months.

Definitely shop around. Usually AAA or GEICO is cheapest where I live. Some of the quotes I got were 4x what I'm paying.

evboy said:
zzzzzzzz said:
how the hell am i paying twice what you pay and i have just liability with a clean driving record. Is oregon some super safe driving area compared to vegas.

Exactly!! I mean I live in Oklahoma...not a lot of traffic lol. Just the occasional 'Nader!! haha

As Smokey Robinson sang, "You Better Shop Around".

A '14 Spark EV and a '17 Hyundai Elantra GT, full coverage with low deductibles and high limits, clean records, 825-850 credit, suburbs of Portland, $531 for six months thru Progressive.

State Farm is telling you to bend over. :roll:

emv said:
As Smokey Robinson sang, "You Better Shop Around".

A '14 Spark EV and a '17 Hyundai Elantra GT, full coverage with low deductibles and high limits, clean records, 825-850 credit, suburbs of Portland, $531 for six months thru Progressive.

State Farm is telling you to bend over. :roll:
i do shop around. i call 5 or 6 of the larges companies that we all know and got a huge range from the most expensive allstate to the cheapest progressive. one thing though is that every 6 months it seems to change on what company is the cheapest. even tho my record hasnt changed.

Recently, my insurance went up about 30% because I moved. Same zip code, better neighborhood, but my rates still shot up.

evboy said:
zzzzzzzz said:

Ha, no idea. Shop around? My record is clean, I am 40 years old and I have stellar credit.

Back