Key/remote issues

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncerna

Have any of you had any issues with the vehicle remote?
The other day I forgot my keys in the car, and they remained there overnight.
The next day, when I tried to start the car, I was getting an error message.
Something to the effect that the remote battery needs to be replaced. I know it's not the battery, because both remotes are doing the same thing.
I can still eventually start the car, but it is rather annoying to be getting that error message at random times.

ncerna said:
Have any of you had any issues with the vehicle remote?
The other day I forgot my keys in the car, and they remained there overnight.
The next day, when I tried to start the car, I was getting an error message.
Something to the effect that the remote battery needs to be replaced. I know it's not the battery, because both remotes are doing the same thing.
I can still eventually start the car, but it is rather annoying to be getting that error message at random times.

I don't know if leaving the keys in the car would drain the remote battery, it may just have been a coincidence. But we did have an issue with our 2014 and did see the message, and I think it was just time to replace the key fob battery. What would also happen is that when the car would be unlocked first (prior to unplugging the charger), the horn would then sound after unplugging, as if the doors had not been unlocked first. Since replacing the key fob battery, we have not had any more issues.

I have heard anecdotal reports of the remote battery draining more quickly if the remote is left close to the vehicle (because the remote 'talks' to the vehicle a bunch). Myself, personally, have never had a problem - but I moved the location where we keep the fob. It used to be about 4 feet away (on the inside wall next to the garage) and now it is 30 feet away (bowl in the kitchen).

Back