Bolt vs SparkE

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

I test drove the Bolt tonight for comparison. What a incredible car. That car was even faster than the sparke and it had that star wars jet sound when you smashed the pedal. If they have a end of the year 30% clearance, I might actually buy one. People r complaining about the seats. They were fine for me. I don't know what these idiots on the other forum r talking about.

Bolt MSRP is $12K more than SparkEV, or about double post subsidy price. At that pricing, it better be far better.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's worth all that, especially considering you can get a used SparkEV for about $8K, or about $20K less than used Bolt. With that much money, you can also get a decent used gasser (truck, van, SUV) as a second car for cargo and long distance while using SparkEV for all your local needs in pure electric.

But if you have the money, better might be to lease a Bolt. I see some in CA as low as $200/mo including down, etc. See

ev-vin.blogspot.com

I would love to get a Bolt but if I can manage to buy my spark off lease for 8 or 9k it's hard to justify the price of the Bolt (even with the tax credit)

I debated long and hard between the two. The Bolt is roomier, faster and has more range. For me buying a used Spark vs leasing a Bolt boiled down to:
- I don't really need the 250 mile range. My daily commute is a ~35 mile round trip so Spark's range is plenty even with battery degradation.
- For $9k, I own a Spark. Current deals on Bolt aren't too great (I think there were fantastic deals last year). Out the door, I think a Bolt would cost me around $8-9k in deposits+fees+downpayments and then $200/month for 3 years and 30k miles. All that money is basically going down the drain.
- Insurance: a factor many people, I think, overlook. When you own a car, you can set whatever insurance you buy - you can get the bare minimum required by law. But if you lease/loan a vehicle, the finance company usually requires you to get comprehensive insurance - that can cost you anywhere between $30-60 extra a month.

In a few years, when Bolts are off-lease, maybe I snag a deal then :)

Before I bought our Spark EV, I test drove a Leaf and Bolt back-to-back at my local Chevy dealership (someone had traded in their near new Leaf with only 4400 miles on a new Bolt I was told).

I could instantly see why the Leaf was traded in. It was disappointing how 'sluggish' it felt *(much like the ICE Spark actually). The only things I really loved about the Leaf was the heated steering wheel (it was a 20 degree day when I test drove it and let me tell you, that heated steering wheel warmth on cold hands is something to behold).

Anyway, when I test drove the Bolt I was in love (but not with the price). I was also disappointed that a $38xxx car did not have the same heated steering wheel as the $10,000 cheaper Leaf. At that point I knew the Leaf was no longer an option for us but the Bolt was just too difficult to justify even after the $7500 rebate. Paying $31xxx PLUS TTL for a new Bolt just didn't compute.

Fast forward to a trip to Phoenix over thanksgiving (my parents are in Sun City, AZ) and the day we arrived (Sunday morning) we immediately went to the local Chevy (Arrow Chevrolet) to test drive 3 different Spark EVs they had in stock (a 2014 LT2, a 2015 LT2 and a 2016 LT1) While we knew instantly this was the car for us, the pricing at the dealership plus the condition of those cars (excessive scratches and door dings, etc. making it clear they were beat up off-lease cars) told us to look privately. That Chevy dealer had the 2014 LT2 we liked priced at $13,999 with 34xxx miles on the odometer. We ended up buying one private party with 15808 miles on the odometer for $8550 in comparison. $8550 vs. $31xxx is a no-brainer.

People we know who are extremely skeptical have said the battery will degrade and within 5 years we'll be lucky to get 50 miles on a charge (knowing nothing about EVs they are saying this) and they say how we'll be lucky to get $2000 resale in 5 years. Okay? Even if the resale is $1000 in 5 years (looking at the extreme because i doubt it'll be worth that little 5 years from now), that means our depreciation cost over a 5 year time-frame would be $7000. Meanwhile, our former 2012 Jetta GLI that we sold shortly before our trip to AZ resulted in a $13,500 loss or depreciation factor. That car cost us $25,000 brand new and sold for $11,500. Even if the Spark EV is worth $500 after 5 years, its still less depreciation than we experienced with our ICE car!

Meanwhile, what will the Bolt be worth 5 years from now vs. its battery life remaining? I suspect the Bolt will lose more than $13,500 in 5 years for depreciation and still get near 200 miles range. At that point perhaps I'll consider upgrading our Spark to a used Bolt!

We have (had) two '15 Spark EVs (my daughter wrecked hers on the snow last week) and my wife just added a Bolt in November. She always had range anxiety driving the Sparks so the Bolt was the only option for another EV. It's an LT with comfort and safety packages, MSRP was about $39.4K, we bargained down to $32K, so with Fed and MD tax incentives the final price was $21.5k before destination, taxes, etc.

The two models are very similar and getting up to speed in the Bolt was easy. I like the display on the Spark better, like the Bolt's regenerative braking better (driving in L), but the Bolt has two shortcomings: The seats are OK with me but not for people with wide butts or wide shoulders, and the Spark is much more maneuverable in big city traffic.

I was halfway hoping she wouldn't like the Bolt so much and I'd get a chance to drive it once in a while. No way! :(

Dusty said:
We have (had) two '15 Spark EVs (my daughter wrecked hers on the snow last week) and my wife just added a Bolt in November. She always had range anxiety driving the Sparks so the Bolt was the only option for another EV. It's an LT with comfort and safety packages, MSRP was about $39.4K, we bargained down to $32K, so with Fed and MD tax incentives the final price was $21.5k before destination, taxes, etc.

The two models are very similar and getting up to speed in the Bolt was easy. I like the display on the Spark better, like the Bolt's regenerative braking better (driving in L), but the Bolt has two shortcomings: The seats are OK with me but not for people with wide butts or wide shoulders, and the Spark is much more maneuverable in big city traffic.

I was halfway hoping she wouldn't like the Bolt so much and I'd get a chance to drive it once in a while. No way! :(
was it a 2017 or 18

Back