Mesasand

Re: Where do we all live? Sparks are dispersing.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:54 am

Las Vegas here. Bought mine through GMs certified pre owned website. Shipped here from Stockton CA area.

Been so happy with it I became a board member of our local EV car club, LVEVA. I’ve talked up EVs so much I’ve helped sell at least two, one of them is another Spark!
Mesasand
—————-
2016 Spark EV LT2, 30k miles

drsurd

Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am

Philadelphia PA.

I've only seen two other Spark EVs in the wild around here...must be a few more though...
2014 LT 2 with DCFC. Most miles in a day 550. 45,000 miles total...AVG 5mi/kWh lifetime on board.

ElDobro

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Perth Amboy, NJ here.

When I was considering replacing my Prius PiP with a Volt, I saw the Spark EV page on the Chevy site and thought it was interesting that GM brought back a BEV. I traded in the PiP for a Volt and forgot all about the Spark. I had a 2002 Buick Century just sitting there all the time, so when I got a good offer for it from a neighbor that needed a car, I sold it.

Driving down the Garden State Parkway one day, I saw a red Spark and the thing that caught my eye was that the charge port door was wide open. Aha, now a Spark EV would make a great second car for me, so I started watching videos from owners on YouTube. A few of the owners mentioned buying them from Carvana, so that was my next step.

I went to the Carvana site and collected a few VINs and took them to the Chevy dealer I bought the Volt from, so they could run the histories. I narrowed it down to one and placed the order. The only glitch that happened was that Carvana wanted to charge me sales tax. After sending them a few links showing the car's exempt status, the tax was removed and the deal was done. As a matter of fact, Carvana recently emailed me saying that they overcharged $13.92 on the registration and are mailing me a check.

Now that I split up the driving between rhe Volt and Spark, my electric bill has dropped. Another plus. :D

jabe

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:22 pm

just bought a 2016 DCFC spark from California that found temp home at chevy dealer in Montreal, Que. 33,000 km on it... 100 km on the GOM. Car was in mint condition..spotless/scratchless!! Bought it and drove 575 km to its new home here in Oakville, On. Trip took 16 hours not including sleeping time. :) learned a lot about the cars energy management during trip. Average temp was around freezing..so no heater since DCFC stations were sparse for most of the trip. My marriage survived unscathed :)
Loving the car. Hope I can get 5 years out of the car. Other car is a model 3 so we are now all electric household!
car is our tool around town car. I use it for short commute to work.
looking for maintenance tips and sharing the joys of owning electric. if Spark EV had 200 km GOM range it would be a killer car!!

SparkE

Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:37 pm

Living in the frigid north, I would recommend leaving it plugged in overnight during the cold months so that the batteries don't drop below 0 C (cold months, are those Aug-May up in Ontario?).

jabe

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:35 pm

SparkE wrote:
Living in the frigid north, I would recommend leaving it plugged in overnight during the cold months so that the batteries don't drop below 0 C (cold months, are those Aug-May up in Ontario?).
in lower half of ontario..think Buffalo weather but less snow :)
thanks for tip...going to try to not do full charge unless i need to once i figure out daily usage

NORTON

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:37 pm

jabe wrote:
...thanks for tip...going to try to not do full charge unless i need to once i figure out daily usage
But this time of year you NEED to keep the battery warm and ready to go.
Leaving it plugged in may not be a bad thing.

This time of year my car gets topped to 100% twice a day. I want the battery warm and ready for my morning commute,,
so I have to plug in overnight.... I don't like paying for the electrons anymore than anybody else, but I don't want to torture a freezing cold battery.

Plus, Cell Balancing only happens after a full charge. You have to leave it plugged in for that function to work.

The possible bad thing is: having it at Full Charge, unplugging it and leaving it in Tucson summer weather.
Even then it still might be hard to prove where the battery degradation comes from.
Used '14 2LT w/ DCFC. +76 K miles.
Mostly free charging! Only one LONG visit to the shop....
GM needs Modern Troubleshooting tools for Modern EV's.
3 step Trouble Tree, 2nd guess not covered by warranty and cost $800. 3rd guess fixed the problem.

ASCIBlue

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:32 pm

I'm debating between a 2014 or 15/16 due to the main battery and I'm in Boise Idaho. I know of a dude in OR who is buying Sparks at a ridiculous rate and is willing to ship seemingly as far out as CO.

SparkE

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:38 pm

jabe wrote:
SparkE wrote:
in lower half of ontario..think Buffalo weather but less snow :)
thanks for tip...going to try to not do full charge unless i need to once i figure out daily usage
I was recommending the opposite : during the winter, leave it plugged in overnight so that the battery warmer will keep the battery ... warmer.

jabe

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 pm

going to leave it plugged in and in the garage and set to charge at departure time. so battery is warm when i leave.. never charge my model 3 full so was going to set departure time an hour after i actually leave so battery is warm just not at 100% when i leave.. thoughts?

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”