There and back again: Spark EV goes to Canada

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xylhim

Hi everyone, I posted a couple times here before about how I did a roadtrip in my 2014 Spark EV from Southern California to Edmonton, AB, CAN. In the middle of winter no less. I put together some maps of the back and forth trips. First one is from December 2014, and then when I had to return the car, in December 2016. I only needed a tow once, when I underestimated some evaluational gradients in Northern California on the way up. The charging infrastructure has gotten a lot better in the two years between road trips. However, there is still much improvement to be made- 4 DC fast chargers were broken along the way back, which set me back at least a day, maybe two. With a few more fast chargers in key locations, I think this trip could be done in 5 days. Or perhaps just three days if there was a fast charge network that went through Montana and Utah along interstate 15. They were unforgettable journeys, and it made me feel like I was an old-west pioneer, battling the elements, and conserving precious energy for inclement weather, steep mountains and very long days.

Map going to Edmonton: https://imgur.com/gAoGduT
Map going to California: https://imgur.com/aRx9vOp

Call me a chicken, but I couldn't do something like that without a 4kw generator and a couple of gallons of gas in the trunk.

hahaha, yeah. One of these stupid things I can say I did in my 20s. Driving in -25 Celsius through Alberta with no heater- felt like I was going to freeze to death.

This post makes me so happy! I love the idea you took the Spark on such a long journey. My little Sparkie doesn't have the fast charger so it stays in the county. It's such a fun car to drive, I'd love to take it further.

jimhewson said:
Can you tell us what modifications had to be done to import the car into Canada?
Thanks

I never registered it in Canada, so I'm not sure. However, the car has daytime running lights so I'd imagine it wouldn't be a problem to import.

jimhewson said:
Can you tell us what modifications had to be done to import the car into Canada?
Thanks

Canadian here.
I imported my Spark EV from the US.
The only modification needed was to remove the ability to turn the headlights off.
Then I could get the certification that it passes canadian driving standards.

A pain to find a dealer that knows how to do this, but possible.

Back