Spark is at the auto body shop and I’m having withdrawals!!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planerench

My Spark was damaged when it was shipped to me. The rear bumper was impacted by a Willies Jeep that was on the same transport and worked loose. The trucking company tried to hide it but failed to actually fix it so here a month later I’m fixing it on my dime and I’ll likely have to sue them for the repair.

I’m back in my 1990 Vanagon diesel for work commuting and while I love it I am hopelessly addicted to the Spark now! How does the rest of the community cope with Spark separation disorder?

Planerench said:
....I’m back in my 1990 Vanagon diesel for work commuting and while I love it I am hopelessly addicted to the Spark now! How does the rest of the community cope with Spark separation disorder?
I feel your pain, but at least you are driving a really cool, really fuel efficient van. If it was the Westfalia I'd be telling you that you should sell it,,, to me ! :lol:

The few times on the weekends or road trip when I have to use my Element, the GF's daily driver, I call it 'The Smelly Gasser'. She says "Don't call her names... :cry: "

If your Spark just has a small cosmetic ding, you could just cover it with some self-righteous EV sticker! :mrgreen:

As far as being cool, my co-workers have demanded that I drive the Vanagon once a week for coffee runs (everyone piles in). As far as fuel efficient the diesel gets 30 MPG @ 60 MPH.

The damage was in the center of the rear bumper and unfortunately raised the bumper under the edge of the lift gate so it now drags on the gate. It will soon wear through the paint and I'll have streaking rust on the top of the bumper. They did a repaint of the bumper and then refused to admit it had even been damaged. Long story but the driver accidentally called me instead of his boss and explained the incident in detail all the while thinking he had dialed his employer. I knew it was damaged when it showed up.

Taxman said:
Do you want to play "Name That Carrier"?
It was a two man operation out of Oregon. Brokered by the first auto transport outfit that shows up under a google search.

Ah, two idiots and a truck.
That makes sense now.

Painting my car without authorization would cause them all kinds of trouble.
That's the sort of thing that puts me on a sue and destroy mission.

I was cool and collected but this run a round is over. I’m fixing it and sending a bill with a note from an attorney. It is less than $1k and I have before and after photos and witnesses. Fix it already!

My Spark EV exile is about half over. I didn’t realize how much I love this car!

Edit to add: I am fighting the urge to call the body shop for an update. They are not over the time projection but I desperately want my Spark back!

Got a call from the body shop today. They got the bumper cover off and there has been a fiberglass repair of a puncture of the cover. The damage crushed the bumper bar and dinged the body itself. The trucking company pulled the crimped bumper bar straight and reinstalled the repaired cover and never told me. I’m not happy about that. I am happy that this revelation will thrust the damage over the $1000 deductible the trucking company has with progressive and I can finally get my car fixed!

Echhh! That does not sound like fun.

Daughter #3 rear ended a lifted 4x4 "just a little" - bumper cover puncture, dented hood, scraped bumper inserts (silver grill bits & bowtie).

It didn't look TOO bad & appears there was no structural damage underneath - I ordered a hood & bumper cover from Rock Auto to do the repair myself ($600 shipped, with coupon). I'll get them painted & remove the bumper cover / replace the hood. I can remove & replace parts with the best of them!

Your story of larger, hidden damage underneath gives me the willies. New cars today crumple like a tissue box around the occupant zones. The price we pay to let us survive 30mph crashes.

I hope I'm not surprised . . .

Spoke to the owner of the carrier. He is paying for the entire repair to keep his insurance out of it. I still don’t have my car yet. Holiday is no doubt slowing work and shipping. I want my Spark back. If for no other reason, it is the only car in my humble fleet sporting new snow tires.

My Spark is back!! I think I’m going to sleep in it tonight. Maybe that’s going to far. Well the work looks great and now we wait to see if the transport company comes through with a check!

I finally got going on repairing my daughter's "4X4 incident" damage. I followed a YouTube video on removing the bumper cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01nhzvPlVyo

After removing all the screws as described in the video, it was still attached to something at the bottom that I couldn't see. I started to take out the grill inserts to get a better view.

Spark-EV-bumper-cover-removal-01.jpg

It turns out the active shutters are attached to the bumper cover AND the body - and you can't see it as the under body aerocover hides the attachments. The active shutters are attached at these 4 points and you can't get at the Torx screws to remove it from the bumper cover while it's on the car.

Spark-EV-shutter-mounting.jpg

Spark-EV-shutter-mechanism.jpg

I cut the bumper cover apart trying to find where it was hung-up. I need to see if I can remove the under body aerocover to reinstall / re-attach the active shutters or I'll be forced to drill some holes in the areocover when re-installing everything.

Spark-EV-bumper-cover-removal-09.jpg

Hood & Bumper Cover to the paint shop tomorrow. I need to see if I can fix / buy the necessary mounting components for the headlight - either that or I'll need a whole new assembly. I'm hoping to re-use all the bumper inserts.

I'll try to post follow-up pictures when I get it back together . . .

Back