Shopping for extended warranty

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricsj

Bought a 2015 Spark EV 2LT with 30k miles on the clock for $9300 inclusive of everything, yesterday. My factory warranty is good until April' 2018 so I have a few months to shop for extended warranty.

Searching for buying extended warranty - seems like there are so many options but I am not sure what actually works. Couple of dealers I called quoted me from $1900 to $2300 for a 4 year / 48k mile extended warranty. Online, there are lots of places selling "genuine" GM warranty - whatever that means. Having never bought a warranty or dealt with a dealership for service I have no clue how good are dealers when it comes to honoring either their brand warranty or a 3rd party one.

And, should I even bother with an extended warranty? With used gas cars I have bought in the past, I have never bothered with warranty because you go by reliability of the make/model and then take your chances and outside of some catastrophic engine/tranny failure you have a good idea what repairs will cost at a local reliable shop. With an electric car, my thoughts are - (1) probably only the dealerships are properly equipped to fix these cars (2) going to a dealership without warranty in hand is probably as good as handing them your wallet or signing them a blank check. But maybe the service market around electric cars has evolved (I am in the SF Bay area)?

So what have you done for warranty with your used Spark EV? And, what did it cost you? Thanks for reading my long/rambling post :)

I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty. It's a cheap car and seems to be generally reliable. Plus, only your bumper-to-bumper warranty expires in April. You'll still have the 5/100 powertrain warranty and 8/100 (or 8/150) battery warranty.

CCIE said:
I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty. It's a cheap car and seems to be generally reliable. Plus, only your bumper-to-bumper warranty expires in April. You'll still have the 5/100 powertrain warranty and 8/100 (or 8/150) battery warranty.

+1

Back