New owner of one of the oldest SPARK EVs around

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neomaxcom

Hi all

Just picked up a 2014 Spark EV that was first registered/licensed, not in California, but Michigan on February 8, 2013 with a VIN ending in 400065.

Given that Spark EVs weren't officially sold until the summer of 2013 in California and this was registered to a corporate fleet in Michigan, I figure I got one of the very earliest ones.

In general it is in great shape. I bought it with just over 10,000 miles on the odometer. After it was retired by GM with about 5000 miles in 2015, it was auctioned and apparently stayed on a Chevy dealers lot in Atlanta for a while until bought by a second person (all this from the carfax) and apparently I bought it from them as the Carfax only showed two owners.

It is an LT1 with out the DCFC and is very, very 'white' in color. Seems to be a solid, low mile car.

The main concern I had was battery degradation and I sense there is some. While the miles are great for the car, its early 2013 'registration' means it will probably reach its ten year battery warranty in early 2023, which is still a ways away. What I have noticed in the few battery capacity estimates is that capacity seems to be between 16.5-17kw for the power pack. I've found driving it, I can probably get 75 miles range if I baby it using low always for maximum regen (slightly hilly terrain) and cap my output to below 20-25kw for acceleration getting to speed and work to keep it under 10kw to roughly maintain existing momentum.

I suspect as a fleet car and test drive car there was little care taken to maximize battery life and it has probably seen its fair share of rapid acceleration.

The guy I bought it from - a chevy enthusiast with a 'vette - was right at 55 miles from my house and the GOM said it had 63 miles of range. I drove it extremely efficiently back and made it back with 20 miles on the GOM (over 5.5 miles per Kwh) Of course it is more fun when the mpkwh are under 4.0 :)

Anyway, just wanted to check in. Oh, I got this after I picked up a 2012 Volt premium for my wife and decided to upgrade to an electric for me.

The real question is, as the Spark EV was GM's first after the ill-fated EV1 and this being a very early production run, could this be sometime in the future a collectable? Heck, I've even considered doing a presentation on it being one of the first 100 ... a claim substantiated by the VIN# and the early, early registration date.

neomaxcom

Welcome but you have some mis-information because the Spark EV was sold in California starting in summer 2013 (not 2016).

I too own a 2014 Spark EV but ours was purchased from Phoenix, AZ and trucked back to us in Chicago, IL.

My 'in service date' was July 30 2013

My VIN ends in 0226 (not sure if that means I have #226 or what?)

Anyway, I'm also not too sure about your idea of 'collectible' but I suppose anything is possible.

Chris:

Sorry about that error on the original sale date. That was a brain fart ... I knew it was the summer of 2013. (I changed it) Still being registered in February in Michigan to a 'corporate fleet' ... is suggestive that this was a GM corporate car possibly used for press, loans and or executive use.

I do think that the early, early EV's will all have a certain cachet in that they are pioneering vehicles. Collectability is also based in part on rarity.

From the wiki:
Within the framework of GM's vehicle electrification strategy,[52] the Spark EV is the first all-electric passenger car marketed by General Motors in the U.S. since the EV1 was discontinued in 1999.[1] The Spark EV was released in the U.S. in selected markets in California and Oregon in June 2013.[2] The electric car has gone on sale in Maryland in the second quarter of 2015, the first East Coast state where the Spark EV is available.[53] As of December 2014, U.S. sales totaled 1,684 units.[54]

That it won 'Car and Driver's' five EV car comparison test back in 2013 (or was it 2014) The whole production run of the EV was but 7400 cars.

neomaxcom

If you are going to edit, would you fix this as well pleae?

The correct spelling/term isn't "have a certain cache", it should be "have a certain cachet" (note the 'T').

They are two distinct words, with different meanings and spellings (and pronunciations). The first is pronounced just like the American word 'cash', the second is pronounced similar to "parlay" or "mayday" (or bidet) (or cash-eh, if you are Canadian - yes, that was a joke).

SparkE said:

The correct spelling/term isn't "have a certain cache", it should be "have a certain cachet" (note the 'T').

They are two distinct words, with different meanings and spellings (and pronunciations). The first is pronounced just like the American word 'cash', the second is pronounced similar to "parlay" or "mayday" (or bidet) (or cash-eh, if you are Canadian - yes, that was a joke).

Nope, not a Canadian. Born and bred in Dixie. Grew up callin hogs and now in a state where they call the dogs.

I would ask if you are German, though.

neomaxcom

Well if you wanted to start a collection of Detroit Spark EV corporate cars, here's a 2016 FS with under 700 miles:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/721187551/overview/

neomaxcom said:
SparkE said:

Nope, not a Canadian. Born and bred in Dixie. Grew up callin hogs and now in a state where they call the dogs.

I would ask if you are German, though.

neomaxcom

No, not German - but my father's mother was - we called her gramma nazi...

neomaxcom said:
... on February 8, 2013 with a VIN ending in 400065.
.... I've found driving it, I can probably get 75 miles range if I baby it using low always for maximum regen (slightly hilly terrain) and cap my output to below 20-25kw.....
.... Of course it is more fun when the mpkwh are under 4.0 :)
Congrats on having one of the first !
Sounds like you pack is fine. You have to plot capacity over time to get a good picture.

Driving in L is no different than driving in D and using the Brake Pedal. It's all regen until the friction brakes blend in as regen is maxed out.
Regen in general is not 100% efficient. It's still way better than making brake discs hot.
Avoid strong regen.
What you want to do is maintain the momentum and glide in N,, but that's all high level EV ninja stuff.

Sounds like you found the fun factor! Electrons are still the cheapest way to haul yoazz down the road. I don't pinch the electrons.
I like to tell people it is really a hybrid car. It burns electrons and rubber !! :lol:

How about low to mid 2.x miles/kWh... 80 mph into -5°F headwinds, keeping it comfortable in the cabin.
Come on Spring Time !! You'll love the range when it's warm out!

CCIE said:
Your range should get a lot better when it warms up.

Being just outside Atlanta, the winter is relatively mild. It has been in the low 60s the last couple of days and, in my first battery capacity test, I drove somewhat gingerly. It gave me a range of 73 miles this morning (it conditioned itself yesterday before the 'test.')

Norton said:
Sounds like you pack is fine. You have to plot capacity over time to get a good picture.

Driving in L is no different than driving in D and using the Brake Pedal. It's all regen until the friction brakes blend in as regen is maxed out.
Regen in general is not 100% efficient. It's still way better than making brake discs hot.
Avoid strong regen.
What you want to do is maintain the momentum and glide in N,, but that's all high level EV ninja stuff.

Sounds like you found the fun factor! Electrons are still the cheapest way to haul yoazz down the road. I don't pinch the electrons.
I like to tell people it is really a hybrid car. It burns electrons and rubber !! :lol:

How about low to mid 2.x miles/kWh... 80 mph into -5°F headwinds, keeping it comfortable in the cabin.

One of the key reasons I had to go electric was the ability to make most of my driving 'one-pedal' - I guess you can call me lazy. I do note that when doing so, you can modulate the pedal to cruise downhill at any variable rate of regen from 'zero' amps? to the max regen. Going downhill with the pedal depressed for zero regen, I actually gain speed as if I were freewheeling... and of course, I don't have to move the shifter (I do like one pedal driving).

As my EV doesn't have DCQC'ing and the charging infrastructure is not nearly as robust as it needs to be, I've been a bit reluctant to enter full bore bliss. There are four public charging stations and half of those are, according to chargepoint, unreliable. This is in a suburban/exurban county outside Atlanta which presumably has one of the highest concentrations of EVs in the nation. (We're 35 miles from Hartsfield-Jackson) When I was in the tag office getting this car registered, they said there were but three pure-electric cars in the county (I'm sure there are more PHEVs). Of course I have a 240v charger which frees my 120v charger for placement in the boot.

SparkE said:

I bet when you were a baby, they said you had your gramma's eyes :)

I do have a question regarding the mylink system and the bringgo app. I suspect that the later models (2016) access to ... what is android auto/google nav ... may be superior. Anyway I have the trial version of bringgo but when I went to key in a new destination, the text entry for an address was restricted. Does that go away with the full version or is there a way to update to the later android auto app? I'm still playing with the bringgo app and may be able to answer that question myself.

neomaxcom

neomaxcom said:
..I do have a question regarding the mylink system and the bringgo app. ...
By the time you buy maps and a mount and dik with it to get it to play nice,
you could buy a nuvi and the optional wireless back up camera.

I don't know much about bringgo. Does it display on the center screen?
I guess I like my phone, entertainment and navigation to work independently and simultaneously.

NORTON said:
neomaxcom said:
..I do have a question regarding the mylink system and the bringgo app. ...
By the time you buy maps and a mount and dik with it to get it to play nice,
you could buy a nuvi and the optional wireless back up camera.

I don't know much about bringgo. Does it display on the center screen?
I guess I like my phone, entertainment and navigation to work independently and simultaneously.

Actually, it does present on the screen. The maps are not a per-item cost and the app does display on the screen and presumably also provides some additional EV-centric data including mapping range on screen. If you have a capable phone - basically something with 16 gigs of internal memory - it was described as being competitive with factory nav systems. The cost is relatively modest for the app - $50.00. I got from the Chevrolet sites that the google map/android cargo (or whatever they call it) is 'superior' - likely because it is free - but it was announced for the 2016 mylink systems.

I mean free vs. $50 ... I'll go for free but the cost/price/value proposition at $50 is acceptable if the 2014's mylink is not upgradeable. In either case the idea of using the mylink screen is the key. Frankly, it might be superfluous as I mostly know where I'm going :)

neomaxcom

Edited to add: Apparently, the2016 includes some hardware differences from the 2014-15 and there appears to be a substantial cost to upgrading ($800 to $1200 on ebay.) This would upgrade the mylink systems on everything from Cruz to Colorado models. Apparently it includes capability for both android and apple but also the in-car wifi and a 4g FCC capability. While 3rd party radios can use the android auto app, the cost is certainly going to be greater than $50.

The main claim to fame is the inclusion of 'ask google-tell google' or siri for the apple.

neomaxcom said:
....Frankly, it might be superfluous as I mostly know where I'm going :)
...The main claim to fame is the inclusion of 'ask google-tell google' or siri for the apple.
Yeah, you can't get too far away from home with this car if you don't have DCFC.

The one time I really used my nuvi was on a cold airport run.
I got a charge after dropping off the GF and thought I gave it enough of a buffer to make it to work. I didn't stay to even 80% I remember...

Once cruising on the interstate at 80-ish I saw the GOM and the nuvi 'Distance to Destination' numbers getting closer together.
So I slowed down to the speed limit, 65, turned down the cabin heat to 67° and the numbers started separating again.
That's the one function I need,,, but rarely...

Sounds like your car is doing just fine for its age.

I have an LT1 without the DCFC that I bought new in July 2013. I live on the Central Coast of California so the weather here is pretty mild in comparison to other states.

In my normal driving, I don't "baby" my car. I drive it as I would drive a gasser. I run the heater if I'm cold and the AC if I'm hot. I never drive in L; I just don't like the feel of it. It takes away all the fun of driving this little EV.

Now four and half years in and 39,000 miles on the odometer, when I get in my car, the GOM usually guesses I have 68 mile range. If I'm going to need to drive more than that, I use all the tricks to pull out the extra miles… taking backroads and frontage roads instead of the highway when possible; coasting and long braking when I can; keeping my MPH below 60; not running the heater (though I don't give up my heated seat).

Have I ever missed having DCFC? Nope. I have a level 2 charging station in my garage and plug in as soon as I pull into the garage. If I didn't have that option and had to always charge at public stations, a DCFC would be mandatory. But, it still wouldn't help me since we don't have any Level 3 chargers in town. Plus I'm not going to take road trips in one hour increments so having a fast charge capability will be more important in a future car that has the possibility of going at least 240 miles.

Four and a half years in and I have no desire to replace this little car. It looks great, is fun to drive, and never lets me down. I'm going to run it as long as I can. Hope you enjoy your Sparkie as much as I enjoy mine!

neomaxcom said:
CCIE said:
Your range should get a lot better when it warms up.

Being just outside Atlanta, the winter is relatively mild. It has been in the low 60s the last couple of days and, in my first battery capacity test, I drove somewhat gingerly. It gave me a range of 73 miles this morning (it conditioned itself yesterday before the 'test.')

Norton said:

Avoid strong regen.

One of the key reasons I had to go electric was the ability to make most of my driving 'one-pedal' - I guess you can call me lazy. I do note that when doing so, you can modulate the pedal to cruise downhill at any variable rate of regen from 'zero' amps? to the max regen. Going downhill with the pedal depressed for zero regen, I actually gain speed as if I were freewheeling... and of course, I don't have to move the shifter (I do like one pedal driving).

As my EV doesn't have DCQC'ing and the charging infrastructure is not nearly as robust as it needs to be, I've been a bit reluctant to enter full bore bliss. There are four public charging stations and half of those are, according to chargepoint, unreliable. This is in a suburban/exurban county outside Atlanta which presumably has one of the highest concentrations of EVs in the nation. (We're 35 miles from Hartsfield-Jackson) When I was in the tag office getting this car registered, they said there were but three pure-electric cars in the county (I'm sure there are more PHEVs). Of course I have a 240v charger which frees my 120v charger for placement in the boot.

SparkE said:

I bet when you were a baby, they said you had your gramma's eyes :)

I do have a question regarding the mylink system and the bringgo app. I suspect that the later models (2016) access to ... what is android auto/google nav ... may be superior. Anyway I have the trial version of bringgo but when I went to key in a new destination, the text entry for an address was restricted. Does that go away with the full version or is there a way to update to the later android auto app? I'm still playing with the bringgo app and may be able to answer that question myself.

neomaxcom

Outside Atlanta? Join our EV Club of the South!

I use BringGo in my 2014 Spark EV all the time. Here's how I have it setup: an old LG Nexus 5 smartphone resides in the glovebox, connected via USB cable that I snaked behind the glovebox behind the center stack and into the area where the USB port resides. It is connected to a 12V power port adapter.

The Nexus 5 has been rooted. It runs the latest Android OS (I can't remember what it is), and I "reprogrammed" it using the fastboot command so that it boots when power is applied if it was off. Another app, "Auto ShutDown when no charge", shuts down the phone when power is removed. Thus, the phone acts as an industrial device controller.

Hence, start the car, phone boots within 60 sec. It begins talking via Bluetooth to the car, and within another 20 sec the BringGo app is available on the car's touchscreen. Turn off the car, and the phone does a fast shutdown (really fast...like, only a few seconds and the screen goes dark).

This. Just. Works.

NORTON said:
neomaxcom said:
....Frankly, it might be superfluous as I mostly know where I'm going :)
...The main claim to fame is the inclusion of 'ask google-tell google' or siri for the apple.
Yeah, you can't get too far away from home with this car if you don't have DCFC.

The one time I really used my nuvi was on a cold airport run.
I got a charge after dropping off the GF and thought I gave it enough of a buffer to make it to work. I didn't stay to even 80% I remember...

Once cruising on the interstate at 80-ish I saw the GOM and the nuvi 'Distance to Destination' numbers getting closer together.
So I slowed down to the speed limit, 65, turned down the cabin heat to 67° and the numbers started separating again.
That's the one function I need,,, but rarely...

I'm surrounded by two lane roads and paved pig trails. Being from the region in the east where the Appalachian's begin just west and north of Atlanta, most roads meander through the countryside. The only really straight roads are state highways where the combination of traffic and hills keeps traffic moving at predictable speedss. I think these roads explain why I like using the L setting as you can slow for that car ahead turning left or slow and then accelerate out of corners one after another. With the L selected, the braking is just letting off the accelerator. While you're not going as fast as you would if you were flooring both pedals; the technique lets you drive 'comfortably' faster than you would without the feature and avoiding the brake. It is just smoother.

jsca72 said:
Sounds like your car is doing just fine for its age.

I have an LT1 without the DCFC that I bought new in July 2013. I live on the Central Coast of California so the weather here is pretty mild in comparison to other states.

In my normal driving, I don't "baby" my car. I drive it as I would drive a gasser. I run the heater if I'm cold and the AC if I'm hot. I never drive in L; I just don't like the feel of it. It takes away all the fun of driving this little EV.

Now four and half years in and 39,000 miles on the odometer, when I get in my car, the GOM usually guesses I have 68 mile range. If I'm going to need to drive more than that, I use all the tricks to pull out the extra miles… taking backroads and frontage roads instead of the highway when possible; coasting and long braking when I can; keeping my MPH below 60; not running the heater (though I don't give up my heated seat).

Have I ever missed having DCFC? Nope. I have a level 2 charging station in my garage and plug in as soon as I pull into the garage. If I didn't have that option and had to always charge at public stations, a DCFC would be mandatory. But, it still wouldn't help me since we don't have any Level 3 chargers in town. Plus I'm not going to take road trips in one hour increments so having a fast charge capability will be more important in a future car that has the possibility of going at least 240 miles.

Four and a half years in and I have no desire to replace this little car. It looks great, is fun to drive, and never lets me down. I'm going to run it as long as I can. Hope you enjoy your Sparkie as much as I enjoy mine!

Your post adds to my confidence about my purchase. I was aware of winter's impact on miles but being unfamiliar with the car or even how it was driven previously - I suspect somewhat quickly as I took a ride the previous owners corvette and experienced the four-second 0-60 - I was not spooked by the 63 mile range on it fully charged but ...

I wish I had a DCFC and there are some DCFC 30 miles away in Atlanta but for longer trips we have the Volt, the pickup and for the time-being the POS 2001 Grand Marquis and 2005 Caravan (the latter two will be sold.) One of things that Fiat did with its 500e marketing did make sense. They provided buyers with two weeks of vehicle rental. I figure the savings on insurance on the two ICE cars will pay for a rentals in perpetuity. (I had multiple beaters because I never allowed myself to depend on a single ICE powered car.)

sTeeve said:

I use BringGo in my 2014 Spark EV all the time. Here's how I have it setup: an old LG Nexus 5 smartphone resides in the glovebox, connected via USB cable that I snaked behind the glovebox behind the center stack and into the area where the USB port resides. It is connected to a 12V power port adapter.

The Nexus 5 has been rooted. It runs the latest Android OS (I can't remember what it is), and I "reprogrammed" it using the fastboot command so that it boots when power is applied if it was off. Another app, "Auto ShutDown when no charge", shuts down the phone when power is removed. Thus, the phone acts as an industrial device controller.

Hence, start the car, phone boots within 60 sec. It begins talking via Bluetooth to the car, and within another 20 sec the BringGo app is available on the car's touchscreen. Turn off the car, and the phone does a fast shutdown (really fast...like, only a few seconds and the screen goes dark).

This. Just. Works.

I'll look into joining the club, for sure. I happen to be acquainted with some of the neanderthals who changed the law regarding EVs in Georgia. What I don't know is who is carrying the water for EV's in the general assembly these days. Actually, i think that Koch money is largely behind the more stupid elements of the recent laws in Georgia.

I hadn't thought of using an older smartphone as a dedicated tool for the bringgo. I've generally used cheaper units with limited memory - I got new one with 32gb to cover this and some other apps - but if I clear all the other apps off the older phone, it may be capable of doing what you advise.

neomaxcom

neomaxcom said:
... why I like using the L setting.... With the L selected, the braking is just letting off the accelerator. ...; the technique lets you drive 'comfortably' faster than you would without the feature and avoiding the brake. It is just smoother.....
neomaxcom
There is no need to 'avoid the brake'.
The deal you never hear about in all the swooning press about Tesla is: It demands you drive this '1 pedal style'. The brake pedal is just an old fashion hydraulic brake pedal in a Tesla.

GM EV's have the advanced technology of a Blended Brakes.
The friction brakes begin after the regen gets near its max!
There is no technical reason why L is better in any way, it's just a personal preference thing.

If you like the attention demanding style of driving in L, enjoy. If you are smooth at it, even better!
But your foot must be there on that Go Pedal and in control the entire trip. No taking your foot off that pedal to shift your ass or 'adjust'. ;)
At least the brake lights come on if the deceleration rate in L is great enough. Gen 1 Volts didn't do that....

sTeeve said:

This. Just. Works.

neomaxcom said:
I'll look into joining the club, for sure. I happen to be acquainted with some of the neanderthals who changed the law regarding EVs in Georgia. What I don't know is who is carrying the water for EV's in the general assembly these days. Actually, i think that Koch money is largely behind the more stupid elements of the recent laws in Georgia.

I hadn't thought of using an older smartphone as a dedicated tool for the bringgo. I've generally used cheaper units with limited memory - I got new one with 32gb to cover this and some other apps - but if I clear all the other apps off the older phone, it may be capable of doing what you advise.

neomaxcom
Oh, good heavens!:
neomaxcom said:
"I happen to be acquainted with some of the neanderthals who changed the law regarding EVs in Georgia."
We know who they are, and we don't like them, so they don't get Christmas cards from us, anymore. :lol:
neomaxcom said:
"What I don't know is who is carrying the water for EV's in the general assembly these days."

Rep. Allen Peake is a co-sponsor of HB 862 http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20172018/HB/862, asking to "waive any fees associated with a special license plate issued for alternative fueled vehicles upon submission of proof of payment of the registration fee required for such vehicles; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes."

Allen owns a Cheddars Scratch Kitchen restaurant in Brunswick, Ga., owns a Model S. Installed two Destination Chargers at his restaurant (I used them during my last EV road trip via my JDapter Stub from http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JD...CCA6A5EDF69215B75E8BB6390CE98.p3plqscsfapp002)

So, we *do* have advocates in the assembly, but the word on the street is that it's unlikely that the EV tax credit will return and highly unlikely that the EV "fee" will be reduced. A few of us went down to the capitol a couple weeks back to advocate for the tax credit and the reduction of the EV "fee"; we met with a few representatives but their focus isn't on the tiny EV community so we're basically on our own until the legislature flips to blue. Sigh...

Join our FB page, that's where all the action lies.

sTeeve:

Really like the invite but I've got issues with FB ... Visceral issues ... I run a hyperlocal community social network and was doing quite well during the 2000's but FB came on the scene and with everyone from the local TV anchors, small town chamber folks, county coroners and the Sheriff all saying 'like me on facebook' ... monthly page views dropped from over 4 million to just over 130,000 last time I looked.

All this preceded the revelations of Cambridge analytica and while I have a 'facebook page, I try to limit visits to something like five a year. You know my brothers birthday. I also don't like anything that has to do with facebook; literally all my 'likes' are random interface errors.

I noted the website, and you're right, there wasn't much action there.

Oh, and just as a matter of privacy and not that I'm paranoid - I just don't reward my economic enemies so I vote for running like hell away from facebook, google, etc. and using a TOR browser anytime you do. BTW: I'm also no luddite; I started the first ezine on online auctions in 1996 and was written up in the book "The Perfect Store." My attitude toward these entities is more a quirk than anything else. I wanted the new media to flourish as a hundred thousand individual, independent voices, not some conglomerate that could aggregate everyone's data and convert it to bitcoin.

I like your setup for bringo but at present am using the good phone for that. Being largely retired and wanting to run around the county's back roads, I took a job taking house photos for a company to subsidize my running around. The measurements of the battery pack show me with something in the range of 15.8kw of available power but the slower speeds and opportunities for regeneration give me an average 5.5+ m/kw and at this stage my GOM typically shows 88 miles.

Considering the fuel cost of traveling with the EV is under 2-cents per mile and the best gas mileage one would get with any of my ICE cars over these curvy, hilly roads would be 17mpg, I'm pocketing better than 14 cents a mile than competitors just on my federally deductible mileage. Bottom line, that saving is enough to keep me from feeling a fool for taking this part-time gig (I'd feel the fool at the pay they have if I were driving an ICE car.)

Bringo has come in quite useful in this as the task is finding a specific address and going there. For overall trip planning, though, I use mapquest's route planner. Bringo often will let you select the 'shortest' route over the time-saving route when they differ. It is quite good but not perfect.

One more thing regarding the selection of using L ... when you put the car in cruise control, it is totally oblivious to the selection removing your primary objection, which is constant attention to the accelerator. You can disengage with a tap on the brake or a flick of the steering wheel control. You can adjust your speed by 'clicking' either the accelerate or set buttons in one mph increments as well. You do have to be going over 30mph to engage or re-engage the speed control. It is useful on 2+ mile legs.

Back